What have I done to myself?

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tantan

What have I done to myself?

#1 Post by tantan »

Hiya everyone
I'm 41 and I got my braces fitted yesterday. I was shocked at how uncomfortable and big they feel in my mouth, I really wasn't prepared for that. My mouth is raw where the clips have rubbed on my mouth but I used the wax and to be fair the relief was almost instantaneous. The worst problem I am having and nobody else seems to be having this awful problem, is that I just feel sick ALL the time. I was warned that I would produce excessive amounts of saliva to start off with as my mouth coped with a foriegn body in it, but I didn't expect to feel so awful. How on earth am I going to last two years. I could cry. Is it really worth it? :(

yo

#2 Post by yo »

Hi Tantan,

How are you feeling today? Do you feel sick to your stomach, nauseated?

Yes, the braces do feel like something huge is attached to your mouth, and the first week I felt very aware of them. It's been two weeks now since I got the top braces and I'm feeling much better.

The upper braces didn't hurt my lip, they are clear brackets, but the lowers are metal and I still have a few problems with them cutting into my lower lip. Wax has become my friend, I take it with me where ever I go!

tantan

#3 Post by tantan »

Hi Yo
Thanks for your reply. I feel a lot better today. I was really sick yesterday but i've decided I should lay off the anti inflammatories as that was what was doing it. Fortunately I had some ranitidine in the house.
They are not really painful today either and I managed some porridge for breakfast. Would have loved a full English though, (you just can't please some women can you :lol: )

appygirl82

#4 Post by appygirl82 »

I have noticed that my ceramic ones on the top are way more bothersome than the metal ones I have on the bottom. The metal ones have done very little damage to the lips/cheeks....the top ones however have tore them all to shreds!!!

How are you feeling today? It will get better, I promise. I am a little over 2 weeks in and it gets soooooooo much better, still a pain in the butt tho!

Steph in Sac

#5 Post by Steph in Sac »

I hope you are feeling better!!!

I got mine on last Thursday. They too felt huge! Today, they feel better. I only have clear ICE braces on the lower (none on top). Ironically, I chose these so they would be less noticable, but they are technically bigger than the metal brackets. While most people do not notice them (my bottom teeth don't really show when I talk), I feel as though I look like I have a big wad of chewing tobacco in my bottom lip. :?

tantan

#6 Post by tantan »

@ appygirl thankyou for replying. I am a lot better now. The inside of my mouth is tender now but not as raw as it was. I have gone without wax today and it hasn't bothered me too much. But you are right...it's certainly a pain in the butt :lol:
@ Steph thankyou too for replying. Your story sounds very similar to mine at the moment. I just have a fixed brace on the bottom at the moment and my top teeth cover my bottom ones (or they did till I got these things on :tingrin:
and yes they feel huge!
How long are you both sentenced to? I'm in it for 2 years. It seems a lifetime away at the moment. But of course it will soon pass.

Steph in Sac

#7 Post by Steph in Sac »

Well, I was originally told 10-14 months, but at my final consultation before braces, he said they'd be straight by 6 months. I'm telling myself 10 just so I am not disappointed.

This is my second round. I'm 37 and had a full set of metal when I was 13-16. I am just fixing some crowding of my front bottom teeth. I have another problem to fix down the road with an old crown/post/gum, so I thought I'd "get my feet wet" with braces first. :lol:

evilnel

#8 Post by evilnel »

Too much naproxen, advil, or ibuprofen can definitely make you feel sick. It can be very hard on the stomach. Tylenol is usually easier. Also, orajel or anbesol can help a bit, both on the teeth and the sore spots. I find that my ceramics rub a lot more than my metals, but now that I'm used to it, it's much better. I felt like I had a mouth guard like a football player in my mouth at first, but it got a lot better. Tylenol, wax, anbseol, and time will make it better! I'm 4 months in and hardly notice them anymore. You can do it! :)

Donna

#9 Post by Donna »

Welcome tantan! I hope you're feeling better!

jambo532

3 weeks

#10 Post by jambo532 »

3 weeks in and I hardly notice them anymore. I've gone back to eating normal and all that. I promise it's worth it. Stick with it you got this!
www.allbraced.blogspot.com

Darlene

4 days in

#11 Post by Darlene »

i'm 4 days in braces...I have expanders too, upper and lower...i need help/advice with those
PLEASE....

bb

#12 Post by bb »

Dont' be afraid to take your ibuprofen or tylenol if you're uncomfortable. No need to suffer!

AmyJS

#13 Post by AmyJS »

Glad you posted here. I'm only on my third day, and I was wondering why I was feeling so sick. Like, I hoped I wasn't coming down with something ON TOP of just getting braces for gosh sakes!!!

But now I realize it was because of all the saliva, and the ibuprofen. I feel a little shell-shocked, too. Like, what did I just get myself into.

But apparently this initial pain and icki-ness will go away, and then we'll just get used to it all. Hopefully time will fly.

I am really going to miss popcorn !! : )

Amy

Backstreets

sickness goes away...

#14 Post by Backstreets »

I got braced on wed, and felt sick until today...actually, was starting to think that this is not gonna work. But, I feel a lot better today...so, I guess - it goes away.

this site is great - until I found it I felt I was all alone in this, but now...it's much better.

thank you all!

suzyscientist

#15 Post by suzyscientist »

I'm so glad you guys have mentioned the nausea! I was planning on going straight into work after my brace day on the 22nd but my boss said to take some time off (I love my boss). I wasn't going to listen to him, but now I think I will!

Tantan hope you are getting on better now - I used to live near Manchester and almost got treated there before I chickened out and ran away to Scotland!

S :D