Fixing a canted smile without surgery

If you are planning to get dental or facial implants as part of your orthodontic treatment (or if you already have implants) you can discuss them on this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PastelSkies

Fixing a canted smile without surgery

#1 Post by PastelSkies »

Hi everyone,

this is my first post and I'm not entirely sure if it belongs here but since I'm planning to get implants during my orthodontic treatment I thought it might fit.
The issue I have is that my teeth are canted. It seems like the teeth on the right side in the upper jaw are lower compared to the teeth on my left side.
I started orthdontontic treatment in 2019 and I got invisalign, but after a two case refinements I decided to switch to another orthodontist since I felt like my teeth were still canted and my first orthodontist didn't really know what to do besides suggesting double jaw surgery. At first my cant wasn't visible, I feel like it got worse after my second case refinement.

Then I went to another orthodontist, got metal braces and I feel like the teeth already look a lot better. The cant though is still pretty visible.
My orthodontist told me I should get double jaw surgery, but I did some research on my own and told him I would prefer alternatives such as TDA's. So today I had an appointment and I got a cost estimate for the next upcoming procedure but on the paper it said 'Distal Jet' but that is not what I meant and I'm confused how this would fix my canted smile.
Usually I see pictures of people having TDA's in their upper jaw with elastics so that the teeth are being shifted upwards.
I'm still confused why I would need a Distal jet. Or is it usual to get a Distal jet and then shift the teeth with other mini implants and elastics additionally? Because my teeth aren't crowded, it's simply the cant that bothers me so much.
I already planned to call my orthodontist and ask him if he maybe could explain to me in detail what the plan is before we proceed.
But I was wondering if any of you got their canted teeth fixed without double jaw surgery? And which methods did your orthodontist use?