Getting implants and curious about everyone else's experience!

If you are planning to get dental or facial implants as part of your orthodontic treatment (or if you already have implants) you can discuss them on this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

diamond63

Getting implants and curious about everyone else's experience!

#1 Post by diamond63 »

I need to get 4 implants for teeth congenitally missing - 2 lateral incisors (next to my front teeth) which plain aren't there, and then 2 to replace second premolar/bicuspids which are baby teeth and not holding up so well.

I had my initial consultation with the oral surgeon a few months before I got braces, and he said he likely wouldn't put me under, and that it would be similar to wisdom tooth surgery. For me that sounds great as I was one of the lucky ones with wisdom tooth surgery - it was easier than getting a filling for me.

If you've gotten implants:
1) Did they put you under? Laughing gas or something to relax you? Just local anesthetic?
2) If you've also gotten wisdom tooth surgery, was it comparable? Or, How would you rate it compared to a filling? **I realize this is very subjective
3) Did you need bone grafting? If so, what was that like? Did they do it at the same time as implants, or was it a separate surgery? Did they take real bone from elsewhere, or use synthetic material?
4) What was the healing period like? Could you work the next day?
5) How many implants did you need and what teeth were they? How many did you get done at once?
6) Did your insurance cover any of it?
7) Any other advice you could give me????

Jethro

Re: Getting implants and curious about everyone else's experience!

#2 Post by Jethro »

1) Did they put you under? Laughing gas or something to relax you? Just local anesthetic?
I did not have general anesthesia. The surgeon prescribed a "chill pill" (like Xanax) to take prior to the procedure and just local anesthetic thereafter.

2) If you've also gotten wisdom tooth surgery, was it comparable? Or, How would you rate it compared to a filling? **I realize this is very subjective
I have not had wisdom teeth removed, and although it took much longer, it was no more painful than a filling.

3) Did you need bone grafting? If so, what was that like? Did they do it at the same time as implants, or was it a separate surgery? Did they take real bone from elsewhere, or use synthetic material?
I did not need bone grafting. My brother also had an implant and needed bone grafting. He opted for synthetic material (you can google the difference
between them). The bone grafting was done in a separate procedure prior to the implant.

I had only slight soreness and could have worked the next day, but I was fortunate to have the weekend off. It took about 7-10 days for the gums to fully
heal around the implant. However, osseointegration (the connection between the implant and bone) typically takes 2-3 months, but up to 6 months, to
occur.

5) How many implants did you need and what teeth were they? How many did you get done at once?
I received 1 implant for a congenitally missing 2nd premolar. The baby tooth that occupied that space was extracted prior to the implant procedure. Both
the extraction and implant were done while I was wearing braces.

No, but some do, so be sure to investigate.

Yes: Although the procedure was "uncomfortable" (aren't all dental procedures?? LOL.), I can honestly say that I did not experience any pain during the procedure and only some minor soreness afterwards. Good Luck!

diamond63

#3 Post by diamond63 »

Thanks for sharing your experience! Out of curiosity, did your brother have the same tooth missing as you?

Jethro

#4 Post by Jethro »

No, he had to get an implant to replace a back molar that was damaged in a traffic accident.

PinkPeep

#5 Post by PinkPeep »

Hi. I have an implant. I would be happy to share my experience with you. It was not bad at all and I would do it again, if needed. The worst part was the cost. About 4,500 not including the restoration crown.

f you've gotten implants:

They gave me Halcion to take 30 minutes prior to the procedure. I was givin a local anesthetic as well.

Wisdom tooth removal was far worse!!!

3) Did you need bone grafting? If so, what was that like? Did they do it at the same time as implants, or was it a separate surgery?

I had bone grafting at the same time as the implant, it was synthetic.

I probably could have worked the next day, but I would have preferred not to. I did it on Friday, and was fine by Monday morning.

I had just one. it was a lower bicuspid

Yes, my insurance covered $600 of the cost. I used flex spending and some HSA as well as savings

Plan to take the next day off to relax and and take your pain meds. Stock up on some soft foods for the recovery period. Good luck! The worst part for me was paying the bill!

diamond63

#6 Post by diamond63 »

Thanks for replying PinkPeep!

I go in next Friday December 4th 2015. After I got a scan done, the doctor determined he can do synthetic bone grafting and doesn't need to take any from my jaw. So that's a plus but I am still a little nervous.

diamond63

#7 Post by diamond63 »

Just wanted to update to say the implant surgery was easier than I could have imagined. In fact, the surgery itself was easier than a filling. And recovery was as easy, too.

Once they put the iv in my arm (which hurt less than a numbing injection, getting your blood drawn, etc), I counted to 10 and began feeling super drowsy and relaxed. After that... I feel like I was asleep (though they say you never actually fall all the way asleep). I "woke up" when they were finishing stitching me up, and even then I was too out of it to know what was going on. I certainly didn't feel anything. It felt like maybe 5 more minutes passed and I was being wheeled out of the room into a recovery room. Sat in the recovery room for a short time with my boyfriend, then we got to leave. They wheeled me out to the car but I probably could've walked at this point. I felt like I was there maybe 30 minutes - though I am sure in reality it was more like a couple hours. Then we stopped at the orthodontist to get my wires/pontics put back in, then at the drugstore to pick up my prescription (I was walking around at this point - though I looked quite silly with the ice wrap they put around my face).

The hardest part of the whole thing was that most of my face was completely numb until well into the next day. Figure 24+ hours. This was only hard because it made eating nearly impossible. You can't eat solids with your lips that numb or you bite them and they bleed everywhere. But my lips were so numb that I couldn't close them right or move them where they needed to go to drink anything. I had some noodle soup (broth & tiny grass noodles) that I didn't have to chew, but had to stand in front of a mirror and guide my food into my mouth just so, and tilt my head to keep the liquid in my mouth so I could swallow it. My lips were utterly useless - it was pretty funny. You never realize how important they are in eating. All I could eat until the feeling returned was protein shakes and this noodle soup, and even that was a chore.

2 baby teeth extracted + 4 titanium implant screws placed + synthetic material bone grafting for 2 of those 4. The extraction sites were literally not sore at all (despite one of them not being routine), while the tissue around the implants was a little sore. I didn't bother with the prescription painkillers they gave me and only took a bit of ibuprofen.

The entire experience was so easy with that magical iv stuff. It makes the time fly and you are too out of it to hear the drill, so it felt easier than getting a filling. I realize I am one of the luckier ones here, but it truly was one of the easier dental procedures I've had done. I also think my oral surgeon is just a damn good surgeon.

elephantmaster123

#8 Post by elephantmaster123 »

[quote="diamond63"]I need to get 4 implants for teeth congenitally missing - 2 lateral incisors (next to my front teeth) which plain aren't there, and then 2 to replace second premolar/bicuspids which are baby teeth and not holding up so well.

I had my initial consultation with the oral surgeon a few months before I got braces, and he said he likely wouldn't put me under, and that it would be similar to wisdom tooth surgery. For me that sounds great as I was one of the lucky ones with wisdom tooth surgery - it was easier than getting a filling for me.

i was under local anesthetic when I have two implants in my canine done. To begin with I had to admit, I was a bit nervous as I have never had any major dental surgery. They started drilling into my bone which was fine as I couldn't feel a thing. However, as they drilled deeper and deeper, I began to feel it more and more. It was super painful and to make matters worse, my orthdontist ( who was the person who was in charge of my surgery) did not realise, when I tried to alert him, he said 'the pain will wear off', which it didn't. I alerted him again which is when he gave me another shot of anesthetic which completely knocked me out. I don't remember much after as I was exhasted whilst it was happening. The pain afterwards was tremendous as I was not used to the 2 teeth being there. I can still imagine the feeling of him drilling in my bone. I am sorry to scare you and I am sure everything will go fine!! Please let me know x

BertieBeats

#9 Post by BertieBeats »

I had a implant last year (well I started the process ) to replace a molar I had removed when I was a kid. The top opposing tooth has over errupted as result so felt I needed something there to support it. I had to have a bone graft as I hadn't had anything there for 15 years and because the bone I actually had there was so thin they had to cut a bit of bone from my jaw and screw it to the area. I'm in the UK so didn't have dental insurance and NHS deemed it as "cosmetic" so had to fork out for it myself. Luckily I had savings. The bone graft I had in March 2015 under a local as it was an extra £800 for a general (family often go on about how tight I am with money and this basically proved it ,lol ). Didn't feel a thing but the sensations was bad enough - 2 hours of drilling, sawing ,screwing ,yanking etc... Recovery was OK, had to book the weekend off work as face on the side of procedure had completely swollen up - think Wallace and Gromit - but reckon I would have been OK to go in if i was dosed up on painkillers. I was eating normally the next day ,just on the other side. So that was £1,500.

I then had to go back in September for the implant post which was pretty much the same. Same recovery as well. But obviously only had one sore area as opposed to the 2 when I had the bone graft. That cost me £1,800 (I think ).

I then had a gum graft in the October which I would say the recovery was the worst out the previous 2 because whilst the bone graft and implant post pain could be treated with painkillers ,the area where the dentist got the gum (the roof of my mouth) was basically an open wound for a week. Everytime I went to drink and eat it stung like mad ,sometimes even when my mouth got a little dry it would bring tears to my eyes. This cost me nothing because the dentist had forgotten to put it in the treatment plan so honoured it ,but would have cost £600.

I was planning on having a temporary crown placed on implant (£600) which would have pushed my upper tooth out the way and made room for the permanent crown at the end (this would have been done gradually with the dentist rising the crown every month or so ). However ,my baby tooth on the other side of my mouth started hurting so assumed it was ready to fall out. When I asked my dentist about getting another implant he said I'd be better off getting braces to close the gap and then I could also use the braces to make the room for the implant. So will be getting braces in a few months and will have a longer post for the braces. The permanent crown will cost me £1,200. And the braces will cost me near enough £4,000.

I purposely haven't added it all up as I know it'll make me ill just thinking about it but luckily I've managed to pay as I go along so literally all I'm left paying now is the permanent crown and braces.