Complications with TAD (Mini Implant)

If you are planning to get dental or facial implants as part of your orthodontic treatment (or if you already have implants) you can discuss them on this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

polishedprefect

Complications with TAD (Mini Implant)

#1 Post by polishedprefect »

Hi everyone! I'm so glad to have found this board, wish I found it earlier when I started this whole thing.

I'm a year into my treatment (my anniversary is in a few days...yay? haha) and just had a "mini implant" or TAD put in my outer bottom jaw. My ortho said that if there was still pain in a week, I should come back for an emergency appointment.

Well, it's been five days, and I've noticed that the screw is wiggly (it wasn't when installed) and I'm feeling a small kind of pain - stings when I use mouthwash. It was also loaded immediately, using elastics, but now when I try to replace the rubber band, it's super uncomfortable! I feel like my jaw is wired shut and opening it makes that stinging feeling worse.

Has anyone else experienced this? I hope to call tomorrow morning but with the holiday weekend I'm not sure how long I'll have to put up with this. I took the elastic off for now, to be safe.

Just need some reassuring thoughts...

oldfart

Re: Complications with TAD (Mini Implant)

#2 Post by oldfart »

Wiggly =not good.

Get in when you can.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

polishedprefect

#3 Post by polishedprefect »

[quote="oldfart"]Wiggly =not good.

Get in when you can.[/quote]

Thanks - it's not so painful today, but definitely still wiggly. I'm keeping the elastics off until I can see the orthodontist. I have an appointment for Wednesday!

polishedprefect

#4 Post by polishedprefect »

Just in case anyone out there ever has this problem, I'll post an update.

I went back to the ortho yesterday, and she ended up having to remove the implant. She wasn't able to tighten the TAD (which I thought would be the case), and she explained it would be similar to putting a screw back in drywall that already has a hole - it would keep failing.

As this was the only spot on my jawbone to place the TAD, and the spot where it was will take 6-9 months to heal completely, we have to find another way to correct my bite (the top teeth on my right side are higher than the other side). I hope this doesn't delay my progress.

She removed some of my ceramic brackets - not comfortable! - and put new ones on in slightly different positions. And we're back to elastics... hope it works!

SunshineRay

#5 Post by SunshineRay »

I had my TAD come out like 3 times I think. I actually swallowed one of the screws. My TAD adventure was an adventure, thats for sure. Can they put it into the roof of your mouth? I had good luck there. There are pics in my 'story' if you are interested.

oldfart

#6 Post by oldfart »

I have one in the side of my upper jaw which is fine. But roof of the mouth sounds scary.

So far no issues with mine coming out. (crosses fingers).
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

SunshineRay

#7 Post by SunshineRay »

I started with one on each side of the upper jaw but the right side just would not cooperate so he moved it to the roof of my mouth and I never had another problem.