Upper canine implants...

If you are planning to get dental or facial implants as part of your orthodontic treatment (or if you already have implants) you can discuss them on this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ashesgap

Upper canine implants...

#1 Post by ashesgap »

So I got my surgery date...March 5, and I'm freaking out. Anytime I think about it I get butterflies in my stomach. Sigh....now I've known I'd need them for three years now, but I just put them out of my mind, since every time I thought about it I felt a little sick.
When I had the consult the nurse really helped by explaining the whole thing, and which anesthesia(poor auto-correct couldn't even fix my horrible spelling of that word) to get. I'm going to do the IV sedation, but that doesn't help me walk in the dang door.
I figured there aren't many stories on here about implants, so I'll keep a journal on here and hopefully it'll help others. And I'm at the point where showing pictures doesn't make me embarrassed, so I'll try to put some up as I go. The iPad doesn't make that too easy though, so it takes time.
Any words of encouragement :Questions:
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

ashesgap

Re: Upper canine implants...

#2 Post by ashesgap »

Wow...I guess I've found the loneliest place on Archwired.
Funny story, since I'm here. My husband just got to his new squadron last week. I got my surgery date on Tuesday so he was telling someone he's taking two or three days of leave. The guy said, "oh, what's she having surgery for?" my husband "She's finally ready for implants" Of course the ENTIRE office stops and turns to him, one woman even looking down at her chest and he goes "Teeth!" while rolling his eyes, and everyone laughing.
I told him the best way to avoid that is automatically say "dental implants" skipping all confusion.
29 years old
3-15-10 got braces
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
4-9-12 Deband!

Jethro

#3 Post by Jethro »

Hey ashesgap, that is a great story :lol: ! I got an implant, lower biscuspid, just prior to being debanded (I can't believe it's been 8 months already!). I am a bit of a dental phobe and was absolutely dreading it. I opted for local anesthesia, but my dr. was kind enough to give me a "chill pill" to take the night before and just prior to the procedure. I have to say that it greatly reduced my anxiety...perhaps your dr. will do the same if you ask.

I felt no pain during or after the procedure except for gum sensitivity around the implant site. I never used the prescription pain meds they gave me. Everything was completely healed within a few weeks. It is essential to follow their instructions re: hygiene post procedure.

The worst part for me was seeing and hearing what was going on during the procedure...not exactly my idea of fun..ha-ha. But with IV sedation, you won't have to deal with that...woo-hoo! So don't worry, you'll be fine...honest. I wish you the best and keep us posted.

ashesgap

#4 Post by ashesgap »

Well this was just one of the easiest things I've done, teeth wise. If you've ever had wisdom teeth pulled, implants were like a one compared to wisdom teeth being a ten on the pain scale. I got the IV sedation and that was really fantastic. Just as I got really nervous it kicked in and I was out. Woke up, did x-rays and was out the door heading home to bed. The pain is so minimal, I'm really surprised. He even fixed the area of gum that was messed up from moving the one canine so far over into the lateral position. The stitches are really the worst part, just annoying though. I got Penicillin, some pain meds and a yucky mouthwash. Now I've seen that some parts are worse then others for implants. The lowers can be more painful, because of the nerves down their. And the upper molar area can mess with the sinuses. I guess I'm just "lucky" :roll:
I know he had to do the tinier implants, because of the area and the roots from the other teeth. But they'll work just fine in the long run. I really hope they take the first time, because as easy as it was I don't want to do it again, obviously.
29 years old
3-15-10 got braces
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
4-9-12 Deband!

ashesgap

#5 Post by ashesgap »

Well it's been a week and I'm steadily healing with no issues. The worst part now is the suture knots are untying and I have to pull the dangling strings out, and that feels kind of gross. Two so far on one side, none on the other. The small bit of swelling in the roof of my mouth is gone, and I only have slight tenderness after I've eaten.
I go in on Monday for the follow-up with the surgeon, and I see my Ortho that morning for a deband check. I think it might be a bit longer cause I still feel like my upper centrals are not straight up and down yet. We'll see what she says though.
Another entertaining story about my implants...The whole surgery was sooooo easy that two hours after it, my husband and I put in an offer on a house. Obviously we had already discussed it prior to, but the only time we had time after deciding, was after the surgery. So, two milestones in one day.
29 years old
3-15-10 got braces
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
4-9-12 Deband!

freakyteeth

#6 Post by freakyteeth »

Haven't been on in a while. Glad everything went well!! THe IV sedation is a must for implants.
Braces 1986 & Sept 2007 (age 34)
severe class II impinging overbite
17 missing teeth (genetically)- AXIN 2 genetic mutation
Jan 2010 - genioplasty w/mandibular bone graft (from chin bone)
Jul 2010 - 4 mandibular implants. FAILED
Oct 2010 - re-placement of 3 implants, hardware removal
03/29/2011 - BSSO and 3 piece Lefort I
Sept 2012 - Upper jaw - 4 implants w/bone graft.
Jan 2016 - upper hardware removal, extensive upper bone graft

ashesgap

#7 Post by ashesgap »

I go see the oral surgeon at 3o'clock for the follow-up, so I'll update on that later. But, I just wanted to come here real quick and scream I'M GETTING DEBANDED IN THREE WEEKS!!!
My upper centrals had me worried, but she did some tiny shaping on them and made a huge difference. I still can't imagine what they'll look like with the braces off, but I'm sure they'll be wonderful. She wants to give me an Essix for the uppers, with the canines in them, and a spring retainer for the lowers. Which is basically a Hawley, but she says Hawleys for the lowers don't exist. Whatever that means.
Anyways....YAY!!!!
29 years old
3-15-10 got braces
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
4-9-12 Deband!

ashesgap

#8 Post by ashesgap »

The pic of my teeth, as promised.
All thats left to do the day of deband is smooth the corner of the upper right central, your left. I'm forcing myself not to go in and bug Diva Ortho, since I know the only thing making that tooth look crooked is the corner. We've been slowly smoothing those two centrals, making sure we don't over do it before i get the new canine crowns. And don't be too judgey about my laterals, since technically they are canines, just moved over. Wow, i can't believe how much i still dislike people looking at my teeth. Think i'll ever get over that? hmmm...anyways, here ya go
and now i decided to give you a before and after. i just never had the nerve the put up the before. The pic is the day of braces, a few days after i got the baby canine pulled. Look how white they were, before two years of braces. Luckily i have a cleaning the day after deband.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
29 years old
3-15-10 got braces
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
4-9-12 Deband!

exm

#9 Post by exm »

Congratulations on your implants!! I just got mine this january...

Meh, I think your stand-in lats look great!! Yeah you'll get over people looking at your teeth... even with my temporary crowns I smile a lot more than I did with mah missing-lateral gaps :D

bellakai

#10 Post by bellakai »

Hi there! I've found this lonely little corner.

I have a couple dental implants for premolars that didn't have adult teeth under the baby teeth. I had to have the baby teeth extracted. The implants were placed the very same day the baby teeth were extracted. How is your healing process coming along? I've had mine for 2 years now and haven't had any problems with the implants themselves (but I think my dentist messed up on the size of the crowns, but tat's another story entirely).

Cowans2

#11 Post by Cowans2 »

Glad to find your post. I just got braces two weeks ago, and am also missing two adult upper canines. Still have the baby ones in. Plan is braces for 14 mo then implants (although wondering now why we can't do a bridge...will need to ask dentist next time I see him). Interesting to read about someone else with same missing teeth.

Tobilei

#12 Post by Tobilei »

I'm so glad this post got bumped! I too am due for an implant and having an absolute anxious meltdown over the thought of it. To make matters worse my general dentist told me that they don't do I.V sedation here, that it gets done with a local in the chair. I'm not sure yet whether or not I'm going to be able to make myself show up to have it done.

Sayrah

#13 Post by Sayrah »

Tobilei wrote:I'm so glad this post got bumped! I too am due for an implant and having an absolute anxious meltdown over the thought of it. To make matters worse my general dentist told me that they don't do I.V sedation here, that it gets done with a local in the chair. I'm not sure yet whether or not I'm going to be able to make myself show up to have it done.
I had all my oral work done just under local anesthesia, and while I'm not going to lie and say it was the best experience (tears were shed), it was really worth it in the end. I was very terrified as well and was panicking before my appointment. But every time I went to have work done on my implant or peg tooth, it took only about 10 minutes and I was done and out of there. It was great to have it done, not be groggy, and just be able to go home feeling okay. The worst part of it all was having the screw placed, but even then, I was only on pain medicine for about a day and it felt a little bit like someone had punched me in that area of my gums (if that makes sense, lol, it was very bruised). Overall, my dentist and periodontist did an amazing job to give me my set of teeth back. :D

Peg tooth (upper lateral incisor #10) & missing tooth (upper lateral incisor #7)
July 13, 2011 - Crown lengthening for peg tooth & bone graft for implant
March 2012 - Crown fit on peg tooth
June 2012 - Screw placed in jaw for implant
October 2012 - Implant set