making progress

If you are planning to get dental or facial implants as part of your orthodontic treatment (or if you already have implants) you can discuss them on this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tacoma braced

making progress

#1 Post by tacoma braced »

I'm so excited! It looks like I only have one more week left of wearing my 2 toothed hawley, 24/7. My implant( placed 11/2010) was uncovered yesterday, impressions made and the temp implant device should be ready for my appt next week!.

the end is near.

ashesgap

Re: making progress

#2 Post by ashesgap »

I will have to have two upper canines on my hawley...how did yours look?
I should be looking forward to being down with braces soon, but then the implant stuff creeps me out a little. Also knowing that my end result with braces is not my end results makes things drag on a little.
Congrats on being almost done.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

tacoma braced

#3 Post by tacoma braced »

Thanx Ashesgap

It was surprising how good and "real" the 2 toothed ( upper front teeth) Hawley looked. People were complimenting me on how great my teeth looked once the braces were taken off, and they never realized the Fakeness.

those of us who have the toothed hawleys are very good retainer wearers- of course it was 24/7 for5
months, only out to soak and clean daily.

You're right It was weird, to know when my braces came off, then came the next whole phase of treatment and also hard not be jealous of those who were finished with their treatment once the braces were removed

For me it was Braces on 4/09, Braces off in 9/2010, Implant surgery 11/2010. Device uncovered 3/2011 and target date for completed of the whole process is 4/2011-
Best of luck to you- Don't fret over the retainer and implant process if possible. The results are worth it!

ashesgap

#4 Post by ashesgap »

tacoma braced wrote: You're right It was weird, to know when my braces came off, then came the next whole phase of treatment and also hard not be jealous of those who were finished with their treatment once the braces were removed
This is exactly it. I'm crazy jealous of the people who started treatment the same time as me, will finish braces the same time as me, but be done.
Although it does make me feel better to know i'll be able to see what the end result is once i have the hawleys.
Thanks for responding. :D
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

tacoma braced

Re: making progress- Not any more- implant failed

#5 Post by tacoma braced »

Just 1-2 weeks after my last check and implant tightening, I quickly started to lose gum tissue on the adjacent tooth, ( a capped tooth). I went to the DDS for a check and he couldn't believe the difference in tooth loss and gum loss. It's never a good sign when the DDS says " Oh Wow"

I think an injury happened when he was uncovering my implant
It was incredibly painful and felt like bone was breaking when he was torquing on the screw. The pain continued and when I went back 3 days later for for a check due to the continued pain- he couldn't find anything wrong. The pain continued for about 2 weeks and then gradually was decreasing. I went in for zoom whitening and check. my pain was decreasing, the X-rays looked good and " I was healing nicely". Then within 10 days, I had significant gum loss as above and my pain was gone- not a good sign. Not only did the implant fail- he saw bone loss on the Xray, but the root on the capped tooth next 2 it, had died

He wanted take out the affected tooth, leaving me with 3 missing teeth, and the implant, put me in a hawley again with 3 fake teeth for several months and start the process again.
I decided to go however to a new bridge instead and stop the implant process. So I needed to have a tooth removed, an implant removed and bone grafting done to fill in the holes!

this has not gone smoothly either, since they made my temp bridge from a pre braces model- no one could find the post braces model they did- I was left on a friday pm, with a funky open bite, off mid line temp bridge over the weekend. it was a nightmare- couldn't speak, couldn't chew and had a house full of out of town guests.
finally they got my ortho's models and i have a temp bridge that fits, is secure and looks ok.
Now just a 4 week wait, then I can be fitted with the permanent bridge and be done with this entire process.
What a waste of time and money this has been for me--Very disappointing.. and now I have to additionally pay for a bridge, after already paying for braces, and implant..