considering cheek impants

If you are planning to get dental or facial implants as part of your orthodontic treatment (or if you already have implants) you can discuss them on this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cocomecrazy

considering cheek impants

#1 Post by cocomecrazy »

So I had an under bite with a cross bite. My lower right jaw was longer than my left which had caused a bite that wouldn't fit, and an asymmetrical face. My left cheek was more fuller than my right.

Like the first time I had met with a surgeon was about 2 or 3 year ago, he said I needed a double surgery. That he's gonna cut my right jaw to reduce its length, and move my upper jaw forward, and then inject some tissue in my right cheek because I didn't have enough compared to my left.

But that surgeon had moved to Canada about a year ago, and about six months ago I got another surgeon and a lot of people told me she was the best in their practice, and that she has actually the first woman to be a maxillofacial surgeon.

The first time I had met her was just about three days before my surgery. It was the first time she had seen my latest models and xrays.

She said she's only going to do the lower. I told her about the surgeon I was supposed to have but moved to Canada had said I was gonna have double surgery. But then she said, "The less thing we have to do, the better it is.... And we will base what we have to do on the current models because your teeth has moved"

Yadda yadda yadda, it doesn't really matter what they had said. What really matters are the results.

So it's been 2 days since my surgery, and frankly the only thing that had changed is my bite, but there's still some asymmetry on my face. I don't know if I'm gonna grow a right cheek now that my bite has been fixed because I'm still young (19, turning 20 this November). And I believe I still have a little bit of a cross-bite, but that I know can be fixed through my orthodontist's hands.

I just want everything to be perfect, but my right cheek isn't :/ Right now, my left cheek is more swollen than my right idk if this has something to do with the fact that I have more cheek tissues in my left cheek like I don't even have bruises on my right at all.

Any advice? Anyone knows a good cheek implant surgeon in Northern California (I live in the bay area) Do you think there's a chance that my right cheek tissues will grow? If I do get my right cheek implanted (just right) how much do you think will it cost me?

Also, my orthodontist said that he was assuming I'm having double because he likes the length of my left chin... but he said it's going to be all up to the surgeons.

And, with my new bite, I know snore -_- this makes me really wish I had double surgery.

ceanna

#2 Post by ceanna »

It's only been two days since your surgery, which is still too early to tell how you'll eventually look. It takes months for the swelling to go down completely and for your face to settle into its final shape. I think you should wait till the swelling goes down and you see how you look before you decide what to do.

We are all different and each person has their own ideas of what they want for themselves. I also had asymmetry, one side of my jaw was longer than the other, and one side of my face was fuller than the other. My surgeon gave me the option of having a cheek implant put into my left cheek along with my surgery because that side was less full, but I declined. I'm of the mindset that the fewer things I have done the better and I know I would have felt unnatural. I'm really glad I didn't have it done even though one side of my cheek is still noticeably fuller than the other. But it doesn't bother me.

I had double jaw surgery with a genioplasty. I didn't really want to get the genioplasty but I was convinced to because my lower jaw was being set back and I was told that the genioplasty was something that was usually done in this case to balance it out. Now I regret getting the genioplasty. I still think that my chin would have looked okay if I hadn't had it done. I hate the way my chin looks now and wish I hadn't done it. When I close my mouth, it sticks out too much and is quite noticeable. I hate the way it looks in profile. I'd do anything to have my old (natural) chin back.

cocomecrazy

#3 Post by cocomecrazy »

meh.

If only I had double surgery, maybe I wouldn't be thinking about this. I still feel like I look the same, only now I don't have an under bite.

cocomecrazy

#4 Post by cocomecrazy »

Ok, so from my researches on cheek implants -I can conclude that I don't want it anymore.

I think the reason why my right cheek is flat because my right cheek muscles were never toned due to my asymmetrical jaw.

But I just had lower jaw surgery.

So, from now on I'm gonna work on toning my right cheek muscles -which means smiling on right side of my face so I can make it equal with my left :lol:

I'm still young (19) I can work on it