Questions about implants

If you are planning to get dental or facial implants as part of your orthodontic treatment (or if you already have implants) you can discuss them on this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dugsmom

Questions about implants

#1 Post by dugsmom »

I did a search on this but was unable to find what I was looking for.
Is there a way to get the insurance company to cover implants? I don't have dental insurance but we do have medical insurance. The reason I ask is my medical insurance covers dental cleanings (2 cleanings a year for each member in my family and they also cover some of our dental work) and a portion (not much but enough to make a difference) of our dental work.
I am also curious to see how much it costs to get implants (I need 2 molars). If you got implants or know anybody who has them, how much did the total cost come out to (implants, medication, crowns, etc)? I've ask my dentist last year. He said he'd get back to me and that was the end of that. I never got an answer.

Thanks

Jessica

Audra

#2 Post by Audra »

I'll be getting a molar implant after braces and jaw surgery.

My periodontist told me the implant will cost around $2700 and then I will also need a crown. My dental plan does not cover it. I am in Canada.

BellaSam

#3 Post by BellaSam »

I am getting an molar implant also after my braces and my cost was about $3,000 including the crown. My dental insuraces covers very little of it. I am in the midwest, US.

wcllana

Very unlikely implants are covered by any insurance

#4 Post by wcllana »

When I had implants I had the best dental coverage around, mine as a public university employee and my spouse who was an auto worker. No coverage from either policy, nada, zip, not even for the crown. In fact crowns were ordinarily covered but not if used on an implant.

Its a real crock because they would pay to have a bridge which costs almost as much and would have ruined two other perfectly good teeth in the process.

Medical insurance will sometimes pay in rare situations such as an accident

Laura1985

#5 Post by Laura1985 »

I was told by my dentist's office that it would be approx. $10,000 for two implants. However, my office is certainly on the pricey side. I cried when I heard that number. I know you can get them for cheaper than that though! When I was looking around I saw them for a couple thousand each. I have heard that implants aren't always covered, but every plan is different. I chose the cheaper and better long term route and just got braces. So now my braces will close the gap for me.

Good luck!
Upper: Damon3mx on 6/1/2009
Lower: 7/27/09
4 extractions done in May
Canine exposure eventually

wcllana

$5000 per implant is outragious

#6 Post by wcllana »

Prices do very across the country, but $5,000 each is too high.

I had mine about five years ago. The oral surgeon charged about $1800 for the implant and the dentist charged around $600 for the crown.

The first implant became infected and had to be removed. I had to wait three months before another implant could be done. The second time the oral surgeon stared me on a more aggressive antibiotic several days before the surgery to prevent another infection. The manufacturer of the implant picked up the the entire cost of the re-implant. I understand this is standard practice for a failed implant.