Cheek implants?

If you are planning to get dental or facial implants as part of your orthodontic treatment (or if you already have implants) you can discuss them on this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

eveningninja

Cheek implants?

#1 Post by eveningninja »

How do people getting cheek implants know that they will turn out looking good on your face? My cheekbones are pretty much non-existent but I'd be kind of worried that implants would turn out looking bad. Also, are they covered by insurance? They seem like they'd be considered 'cosmetic.'

Thanks.

AF104

#2 Post by AF104 »

You don't know. If they seem "cosmetic" then the insurance issue should be pretty clear. Anyway cheek implants have nothing to do with orthognathic surgery. You should post in a more appropriate forum.

eveningninja

#3 Post by eveningninja »

Well I've seen multiple people posting here in this forum that they 'need' or have already gotten cheek implants along with their jaw surgery, and so I'm just wondering who is considered a candidate for that.

AF104

#4 Post by AF104 »

Talk to your surgeon!!!

eveningninja

#5 Post by eveningninja »

What is the best way of doing so? My surgery is technically already 'scheduled' for August but if I'm not certain that it's not the best option possible then I'm not really comfortable with going through just yet. My surgeon is about one hour away, must I go see him in person?

AF104

#6 Post by AF104 »

Talking about the "best option" implies that you have more than one option. Until you talk to the surgeon you don't know if he/she will give you the option of having cheek implant surgery. Your surgeon may not perform the procedure or may not feel that you need it. Also, you don't have to have jaw surgery and cheek implant surgery at the same time. Perhaps you should let your jaws heal first and then proceed with implant surgery later. If you have implant surgery in the hospital you'll probably spend much more on the operation since there is a $$ premium on hospital operating rooms.

eveningninja

#7 Post by eveningninja »

Yeah, the thing with my surgeon is I feel that he really doesn't care at all about facial balance/proportions. His attitude when dealing with me is really arrogant and it just seems like I could have a better outcome with a different surgeon. Should I seek a second opinion even though my surgery date is already 'scheduled?' I don't care if it takes longer I just want the best results.

ladyjenie

#8 Post by ladyjenie »

Eveningninja, it seems you just answered your own question. Take whatever time you need to make up your mind about decisions that affect you, you will be the one looking in the mirror every day. I was scheduled to have TJR and U-triple P (uvula, soft palate, & turbinates reduction) at the same time but the OS wasn't in my insurance network. I can't afford to pay $38-grand out-of-pocket so now I am seeking another OS's opinion and it could be that this OS doesn't want to do the two surgeries at the same operation, I will have to wait and see. And, I'm not sure I could take them both at the same time. I have other medical issues to consider.

About the cheek implants, did you have a CAT scan before your consult? If so the OS would discuss your need of cheek implants at that time but he's looking at this structurally, maybe not as much cosmetically. If you've seen him already I would put that concern out there for him by way of telephone, he is working for you.

eveningninja

#9 Post by eveningninja »

Another thing though is I'm wondering if I can/should seek the advice of another surgeon though. Can I do this when my surgery is technically already scheduled?

eveningninja

#10 Post by eveningninja »

And also, is it wrong of me to be considering cosmetic factors? My surgeon is clearly only looking at this structurally and not cosmetically, but couldn't we be looking to achieve the best results both structurally and cosmetically? I'm just wondering what other people's situations are like with their surgeons in this kind of scenario.

changes09

#11 Post by changes09 »

I have never considered cheek implants untill my OS suggested it. He said that I would have a concave face if I did not get cheeck implants. He is going to do them himself. And its not bad to be thinking of the cosmetic aspect of the surgery. Most people do.

archangel689

#12 Post by archangel689 »

in my opinion form and function tend to go hand in hand.... then again i guess thats not always true.

AF104

#13 Post by AF104 »

In regard to this comment: "My surgeon is clearly only looking at this structurally and not cosmetically". You said that as if by focusing on structure the surgeon is going to destroy your face cosmetically. That's ridiculous!!! The problem with focusing on the cosmetic aspect is that if you're seeking reconstructive surgery(and with insurance benefits) you aren't entitled to seek a cosmetic emphasis. If you want to emphasize the cosmetic aspects then pay the whole amount out of pocket. Otherwise you just take whatever cosmetic improvement comes withh the reconstruction.

ladyjenie

#14 Post by ladyjenie »

If you have doubts go for a 2nd opinion, that's why insurance companies allow them. Each doctor is unique in their plan for your outcome. My surgeon took in to concern how the arthritic bone loss affected my chin, neck, mouth and cheeks (the whole picture). Some OS's are plastic surgeons as well and might understand your dilema moreso.