chin implant

If you are planning to get dental or facial implants as part of your orthodontic treatment (or if you already have implants) you can discuss them on this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

candycin

chin implant

#1 Post by candycin »

i am waiting for surgery....looks like April of 2009
i am having my lower jaw moved forward, my top jaw tilted up and widened,,,,my surgeon also said having a chin implant would be icing on the cake,,,,not imparitive but would be the finishing touch....
should i do it? i have never thoought about that part of it all!!!
figured moving my jaw forward would be enough...it is anohter 1000$

switchblades

#2 Post by switchblades »

In the grand scheme of things, $1000 is relatively little to what a lot of surgeons seem to be charging. It is ultimately up to you, obviously, butyour surgeon can give you more of an idea of what your face will look like post-op :)
Initial Consult: August 22nd, 2008
Upper Arch Bracketed: October 22nd, 2008
Lower Arch Bracketed: December 3rd, 2008
Debraced: October 15th, 2009

My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... sc&start=0

Emaciated

#3 Post by Emaciated »

$1000 is a great price for a genio for what that's worth. ;) Although I attribute the numbness in my chin (over a year post-op) to the genio I had. Still worth it, just left me with a small area of permanent numbness if that matters to you. (I only notice it when I'm shaving.)

fromjersey

#4 Post by fromjersey »

I agree with Meryaten that sliding genioplasty better option than chin implant. More stable, would be stronger and you won't have to think about replacing it in the future. I'm surprised at surgeon suggesting implant. Maybe there's some explanation? Cheaper? Quicker?
Helen

fromjersey

#5 Post by fromjersey »

I agree with Meryaten that sliding genioplasty better option than chin implant. More stable, would be stronger and you won't have to think about replacing it in the future. I'm surprised at surgeon suggesting implant. Maybe there's some explanation? Cheaper? Quicker?
Helen

candycin

#6 Post by candycin »

sorry everyone i looked back at the notes i took from the Doctors and it is genio is is saying will be icing on the cake....i am still learning all the lingo...he did say 1000$ extra that is not covered by insurance but that it would be icing on the cake not NEEDED !!!

candycin

#7 Post by candycin »

guess my biggest fear is waking up with a huge chin!!!!
or not liking it all
ahhhh guess i have lots of time to think about and research it

Figamentation

#8 Post by Figamentation »

candycin wrote:guess my biggest fear is waking up with a huge chin!!!!
or not liking it all
ahhhh guess i have lots of time to think about and research it
Find out if your doctor is going to make it a "game time call", meaning that if after the movement of your jaws it doesn't look like you'll need the genio if he will not do the procedure. That might make you feel a little more comfortable than knowing it's getting done no matter what.

I had thought for the three years I've had my braces to get ready for the surgery that I would be having a genio as well, but close to the surgery date the surgeon decided to hold off because he felt I was borderline needing it and since I'm in a special situation where I could always get it done at a later date at no cost to me, decided to hold off the decision for two months post surgery. So far it turns out it was wise, as my chin looks really good, no genio necessary. It's not a strong, jutting chin but I have a small face and everyone agrees that this fits my face really well. It's still a possibility after the swelling goes down that I'll decide to get it, but according to my ortho and surgeon they think it's unlikely.

So find out how strongly they feel about the genio, that can also set your mind at ease.

canthandlethetooth

Re: chin implant

#9 Post by canthandlethetooth »

I recently had my lower jaw moved forward and could have had a genioplasty but after a good discussion with both my orthodontist and surgeon I agreed with them that it wasn't necessary and, despite it is early days, I am very happy with my decision.
I have found that you cannot be objective about your own appearance, and when you don't have something that other people all appear to have you want it all the more so I found it hard to make that decision. But having a balanced face is not just about having jutting chin, look at your three quarters view as well not just your profile because that's how a lot of the time people are going to see you. I don't have a defined Angle to my jaw so I decided if I had a genioplasty all it would serve to do is to make my face appear too long on one side. However, God's honest truth is that if I had a strong Angle and a wider jaw maybe I would have gone for it because it would have looked like a natural extension of my jaw. But I don't so I didn't :wink:
Hope this helps.