implant,screws and plates, what are they made off?

If you are planning to get dental or facial implants as part of your orthodontic treatment (or if you already have implants) you can discuss them on this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

platinum

implant,screws and plates, what are they made off?

#1 Post by platinum »

I have had problems with nickel allergy. I was suggested to have a jaw surgery but all these problems with braces makes me happy not to go that route. BUT i need an implant to replace one of my second molars. It seems taht they make them out titanium, but I have read some papers that implants are some alloys and do corrode....

And, is tehre any alternative for an implant. Any bridge wont do, because it is the last molar that is missing, and I dont have wisdom teeth.

I just dont want any metal parts inside me after the nickel allergy ordeal.

phil

#2 Post by phil »

platinum,

This is a question for the professionals. I thought that most of the hardware for orthognathic/dental ANYTHING these days is titanium, but if you ask, you'll find out for sure!

Call your oral surgeon, and explain your nickel allergy.

Be well, and at peace,

Phil
There are no ordinary moments.
Check out my blog! http://pcadams.wordpress.com/

rosy22

Plates/Screws

#3 Post by rosy22 »

The hardward used is titanium, some pure titanium some titanium alloy which can have other elements. from my research I have found it is possible for some contamination during manufacturing. There is a company I came across that does metal testing blood panals which can test you for allergies to all of these metals. You only need script for blood draw and you send to then directly. I plan on having my daughter do this. The company is called Melisa Diagnostics. There number is 800-650-7850. If you find out the exact model and manufacturer of the hardware that will be used the company should be able to tell you what they are made of exactly and if there is a chance of nickel contamination in manufacturing process. Better safe than sorry I think. Please feel to PM if you have any questions. Oh, some manufacturers of hardware I came across are Osteomed, KLS, Synthese. this may not be what your OS will use but it is intersting read. They make all sorts of stuff.