cheek implants !

If you are planning to get dental or facial implants as part of your orthodontic treatment (or if you already have implants) you can discuss them on this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

perfectsmile

cheek implants !

#1 Post by perfectsmile »

Has anyone had their oral surgeon suggest a cheek implant in combination with lower jaw advancement and a genioplasty?

I was shocked when my oral surgeon brought up the idea! I don't know if I should even consider the idea!

perfectsmile

#2 Post by perfectsmile »

That's interesting! which size do you have in mind?
I'm a bit concerned about ending up with a plastic appearance; did he show you before and after pics?
Don't you think that BSSO and genioplasty will result in soft tissue changes that may give you a fuller cheeks look without implants?

amd

#3 Post by amd »

I just had it done. My surgery was July 16th - LeFort I, Bsso & genioplasty. My OS suggested the implants because even when they corrected for my underbite my midface would remain quite flat. In fact without the implants my profile would have looked worse. The implants don't exactly go into or onto your full cheek area. If you run your finger down the side of your nose on the flat part of your face you will kind of feel where the implant should go. Apparently most people have a slight hump of bone between the full cheek area and the nose. i didn't. The implants were to help fill that space in a bit. They used excess bone removed from my lower jaw when they did the genioplasty.

If your surgeon is going to show you work-up pics/sketches make sure to look at profiles. Also look at how the nose sits in relation to your lips etc. When looking at the sketches try to focus on the soft tissue movement. it should give you an idea of what things will be like. Just keep in mind that it's not exact. My chin doesn't look like what I thought it would - although it matches the sketch. It's just different when it's actually on or part of your face.
amd
"I suffer from short term memory loss...I think"

ema27

#4 Post by ema27 »

I had my lower jaw advanced and genio a week today-(thankgod that firstweek is over!)
I was TIGHTLY banded until yesterday and i was so so pleased-still tightly banded but so much easier to eat now there is couple of mm gap..
Anyway back to the thing in hand as my swelling is decreasing i am noticing my flat face more and more..I was just hoping the outline of my cheekbones were swollen as i had quite defined cheekbones before..Maybe thats something i should ask about soon

perfectsmile

#5 Post by perfectsmile »

Amd- I'll make sure to ask my surgeon next appointment 'cause I'm not sure he meant the area you mentioned. I should have lefort I to correct my class two malocclusion but decided against it and to go ahead with only genioplasty and a possible BSSO, so the uncorrected upper jaw makes the area you mentioned little bit prominent. I've seen before and after pics of paranasal implants and it looked really cute, hope you are happy with your results.

Seriously-Well my doctor didn't consider my feelings lol when he felt that I'm ok with a pure cosmetic gain from the genioplasty, he mentioned the implants. I was hurt so I changed the subject and didn't get into details, but from what I've read I know that they come in different sizes and for different facial areas. what makes me reluctant to even consider the idea is that I'm really afraid from looking fake and that if I didn't like my the implants, their removal will result in scar tissue which will fail any attempt of a possible fat grafting in the future when I turn 40 and loose the little facial fat I have.
P.S: you can search priscilla presley pics, she tried couple of cheek implant sizes the past few years.

Ema27- I've seen your pics, and in my opinion you looked beautiful before the surgery and the surgery just enhanced the way your look. Your swelling is in your lower jaw which makes it more prominent than your upper face that has no swelling and this makes sense why you feel that your cheeks are falter than before, once the swelling subsides your face will be more balanced. Good luck.

perfectsmile

#6 Post by perfectsmile »

double post
Last edited by perfectsmile on Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

perfectsmile

#7 Post by perfectsmile »

sorry double post

ema27

#8 Post by ema27 »

perfect smile-thanks for the kindwords :D .I am hoping that as the swelling goes down the cheeks look less flat.I look like desperate dan gone flat at the mo...!
Seen as i am only on day 7-i guess it is to early to worry yet..