Temporary Implant

If you are planning to get dental or facial implants as part of your orthodontic treatment (or if you already have implants) you can discuss them on this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tk1608

Temporary Implant

#1 Post by tk1608 »

Can you guys help me understand what a temporary implant is?

My ortho said he would have to use a temp impant to help close a gap I have from a missing tooth ... How is this put in & will it hurt ?

Thanks so much !!

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi TK
Temporary implants or temporary anchorage devices are usually small titanium screws about 10mm long and about 1.5mm in diameter. Over the last few years they have become a lot more widely used in orthodontics.

What usually happens is that the ortho will take an X ray of the tooth roots to see where the screw is to go. Then you get a shot of local anaesthetic into the gum. A small pilot hole is drilled into the numb gum tissue and the screw is inserted using a fancy electric screwdriver. The procedure takes about 10 minutes and it doesn't hurt. Afterwards you might need some mild painkillers once the local wears off. The screw functions as an anchor and the ortho can fix elastic ties or wire ties to it in order to move teeth. Once its job is done it is unscrewed and removed. You don't usually need a local for removal.

Here's a pic of one of my implants. I have 3 altogether (I did have 4 but one came out) There's more about it in my blog if you want to look.

tk1608

#3 Post by tk1608 »

Thank you so much.. I am REALLY nervous about this procedure. :(

I hope I don't have any issues with it & most of all it doesn't hurt..
I am assuming this will be done when the braces are applied at the 1st appointment correct??

Thanks for answering my questions & the picture as well. Gives me a better understanding of what to expect !! How long does it take to move the molars ? My ortho said this would be what takes the longest.. I will have to wear the appliances for 12 months 18 months worse case scenario !!

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

The timing depends on your ortho's preference. Is he going to do the implants himself or is he sending you to an oral surgeon?

I was nervous too, but afterwards I wondered why I'd got so worked up as there really was nothing much to it. i didn't feel any pain, just pressure as the screw was tightened.

Molars on average move about 1mm a month. They can be stubborn to move as they have pretty long roots.

tk1608

#5 Post by tk1608 »

Yes he is going to be doing it himself ..Well I assume he will be? He talked like he would & never mentioned me going somewhere else to have it done ?

Do they usually send patients to a oral surgeon to have this done or is this something that a ortodontist can do themselves ?

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

Depends on the ortho. Some of them have been trained to do the screws and others use an OS to do the job.
My first 2 were done by an OS and the second 2 were done by my ortho, as in that time he'd done the training course.