June Braces Poll

An archive of braces poll questions asked in previous years. This forum is read-only.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Why did you decide to get braces?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:11 pm

To make my teeth look better (cosmetic, aesthetic reason)
33%
To improve my jaw function or prevent a problem (functional reason)
16%
A combination of the two above (both cosmetic and functional)
51%
Other reason not mentioned
No votes

Total votes: 122

Lindzz

#31 Post by Lindzz »

My reason to get braces with a mixture of two things. First, I wanted my teeth to look better and be healthier. Second, I'm only 20 and still under my mom's insurance, so if I did them now she will pay for all of it.

"Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it is better to leave the broken pieces on the floor than to hurt yourself even more by picking them up to fix it." - Unknown

"There are two things you can do with the truth: run from it or run to it." - My Sociology Professor

Thathrill

#32 Post by Thathrill »

i was told that I either get braces or lose most your teeth by 40.....lol
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

snowy0024

June braces poll

#33 Post by snowy0024 »

:D First of all..Hi, this is my first official post as a member on archwired. I will be getting my braces on July 9th (atleast I'll be able to eat some good food on the 4th). When I tell friends I'm getting braces they say "why, your teeth are perfectly strait?" What they don't know that due to my first molars (2 top &2 bottom) being removed when I was very very young, my wisdom teeth came in and tried to close the gap. The holes that didn't close on the bottom caused the two molars behind them to start tilting forward. My dentist said the roots of my wisdom teeth will soon be exposed if I don't get them strait. So there you have it...Purely functional for me.
I'm glad to be a new member as I have already learned so much about what I'm going to be going through for the next 2 years from this website.

jennbunn

#34 Post by jennbunn »

I got my braces to improve my jaw function, but must admit that the cosmetic reasons are a wonderful "side effect". I just got my Damon's installed today. So far, so good. I have no pain and little discomfort. I would guess that will come in a few days. I feel a little ugly and a little nerdy, but am sure that will pass in time.

Devushka

#35 Post by Devushka »

Purely aesthetic reasons. I couldn't stand being gap-toothed any longer so decided to go through orthodontia to achieve one of my dreams.

jennicakes

#36 Post by jennicakes »

i'm a little late posting a reply but def aesthetic for me. i had a gap between my two front teeth and my right canine was rotated badly. I also had crowding on the bottoms, and many of my top teeth did not cover my bottoms when i smiled

also functional because my twisted canine hit a tooth that was underneath it causing wear on both teeth because my midline is pretty off.

Wired Skull

#37 Post by Wired Skull »

I too wanted them for cosmetic reasosn. Living in Sweden and being in my late 30's I never got them as a kid as it then was considered only for bad cases.

While my ortho evaluated me he found out that I had a scissor bite so it turned out to be a cosmetic/functional brace adventure. He proved that I should have had braces back in the 80's :-)

After 18 months my overbite, deepbite and scissor bite has improved a lot. I'm sure it would have been even better if I have had the braces when I was a kid. On the other hand I'm pretty sure I have turned the offer down anyway being a stupid kid.

See you....
Braces on: 2007-01-20
Ceramics upper and lower.
Elastics: 2007-08-16
Debanding: 2008-11-20 / 2009-06-12
Braces again: 2010-07-05
Metal - Lower only.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wiredskull ... 501093091/