February Braces Poll

An archive of braces poll questions asked in previous years. This forum is read-only.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Have you had (or will you need) any type of orthognathic surgery or extractions for your orthodontic treatment? (Log in to vote!)

Poll ended at Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:44 pm

Extractions
38%
Frenectomy
1%
Fiberotomy
1%
Canine exposure
1%
SARPE
1%
Other osteotomies (Lefort, BSSO, etc.)
14%
I have not needed any type of orthognathic surgery or extractions
44%

Total votes: 135

chrisk

#16 Post by chrisk »

I was given 2 options to fix my 15mm overjet. Braces on top teeth only to bring my top teeth in by 5mm (a cosmetic solution), or full braces and surgery to correct my functional problems of worn teeth caused by a bad bite, periodontal recession and overcrowding. I went the surgery route and came out with a great functional result with my cosmetic improvements of no more gummy smile, a shorter face and improved profile.

I had 2 extractions prior to getting my braces, and 25 1/2 months later had upper jaw surgery (4mm up and out) with a cant in my upper right jaw levelled, lower jaw surgery (9mm out) and genioplasty (6mm) to correct my 15mm overjet.

5 1/2 months later my braces came off, so I am now 18 months post-surgery and just over 1 year out of braces.

Rach

#17 Post by Rach »

I have just had lower jaw surgery to correct my underbite with all wisdom teeth extracted, I am 10 days post-op.
Feel free to take a look at my SurgeryBlog

loulou123

#18 Post by loulou123 »

Im having lower jaw advancement (11th feb :shock: ) and the removal of 4 wisdom teeth and an extra upper molar.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

Sandista

Feb Braces Poll

#19 Post by Sandista »

I had my 3 wisdom teeth (only had 3) removed over 10 years ago (had nothing to do with braces). The only applicances I have required were elastics to close my bite.

I've been lucky - my treatment is only scheduled to last about 8 months, which will hopefully means I'm done in about 1 1/2 months!!!!!

anagram

#20 Post by anagram »

First time in braces, extraction of 2 upper pre-molars (one each side) as part of treatment to reduce over-jet. Open-bite and arch discrepancy went unnoticed and untreated. Over-jet remained after treatment. Later, unrelated extraction of 2 partially impacted lower wisdom teeth.

Second time in braces. 2 options. Surgery to advance lower jaw but no extractions, or no surgery but extraction of 2 upper first molars (one each side) and en-masse retraction of upper incisors, canines and pre-molars. Decided on extractions option.

Upper wisdom teeth through, so after treatment will be left with 1 pre-molar, and 2 molars on each side of upper jaw and 2 pre-molars and 2 molars on each side of lower jaw. Suspect crowding in lower jaw may lead to extraction of a pre-molar on each side, but has not yet been suggested.

anagram

#21 Post by anagram »

First time in braces, extraction of 2 upper pre-molars (one each side) as part of treatment to reduce over-jet. Open-bite and arch discrepancy went unnoticed and untreated. Over-jet remained after treatment. Later, unrelated extraction of 2 partially impacted lower wisdom teeth.

Second time in braces. 2 options. Surgery to advance lower jaw but no extractions, or no surgery but extraction of 2 upper first molars (one each side) and en-masse retraction of upper incisors, canines and pre-molars. Decided on extractions option.

Upper wisdom teeth through, so after treatment will be left with 1 pre-molar, and 2 molars on each side of upper jaw and 2 pre-molars and 2 molars on each side of lower jaw. Suspect crowding in lower jaw may lead to extraction of a pre-molar on each side, but has not yet been suggested.

cledin

February Brace Poll

#22 Post by cledin »

Hello all ~ my first post and I am very happy to find this site! My braces went on Jan 28th (full metal bottom/clear on top front four) after almost 20 years of 'thinking about it' and two kids' braces later. I am scheduled to have four teeth extracted on February 26th (yes, he is known for extractions Post braces). The four teeth being removed are simply not 'bracketed' (is that a word?) Fourth back in each quadrant. Same diagnosis I received when I was 19 and then backed out. (glad I didn't this time)

redwingzfan

4 extractions

#23 Post by redwingzfan »

I just had 4 extractions yesterday. 2 upper wisdom teeth and 2 upper 1st biscuspids. No pain. I will get my braces on March 4th.

KianaFran

Ouch

#24 Post by KianaFran »

When i was 13 and was exmined for braces, that ortho told me all 4 wisdom teeth and all four biscupids! :cry: My mom decided to wait and I never got them. At 25 I went to the ortho and he told me the same thing. I was hoping that mouth had grown some. :? Well I had all four wisdoms removed! OUCH! And this past Valentines day I had all four first bicuspids removed. I still don't get my braces for another two weeks though. Right now I have in spacers and I get T-Arch put in Monday. I'm just looking forward to the end result :D !

texbrace

#25 Post by texbrace »

I have to get an implant where one of my molars was never formed. :(

:!: The answer to your questions :!:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/search.php

Devushka

#26 Post by Devushka »

Fairly certain I will need a frenectomy. Just seems like too much tissue to get squeezed around.

And I will be needing to get my wisdom teeth out once they errupt. Hopefully before they wreck the work my braces will do.

tazzle

#27 Post by tazzle »

I have a deep overbite and will be needing bsso to stop me further damaging my teeth, palate and gums.

[/url]

ImageImage

browneyedgrl

#28 Post by browneyedgrl »

No extractions this time, but after I had my braces removed 25 years ago, my ortho said that I would need to have my wisdom teeth pulled because I had no room for them. So when they finally came in five years later, all four came impacted and needed to be removed.

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

Julerz

#29 Post by Julerz »

I had a bicuspid removed on one side to make space and all my wisdom teeth removed. I guess I'm a bit nervous to see how it closes up with the braces but I think its pretty natural to be a little worried. But, it doesn't look too bad. You can barely tell when I smile.