Questions while I wait for my Invisalign trays

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JCarr30627

Questions while I wait for my Invisalign trays

#1 Post by JCarr30627 »

Hello!!!

I am getting my Invisalign trays at the end of August... I've already gone through the impressions, etc.

A bit of background on me... I am 38 and going through braces for the second time. I have large teeth and a small jaw... the first set of braces I had as a kid ended up expanding my jaw so much that I have very little bone or gum left around my teeth. In retrospect, they should have pulled teeth. And despite wearing my retainers until they fell apart, my teeth have shifted, leaving me with an overbite and what I call my "snaggletooth".

So, my current ortho said that Invisalign would be best for me since they put less pressure on the teeth than conventional braces. My periodontist signed off on the Invisalign only after he did two gum grafts (on six teeth total... YIKES!!!). So, it's been quite the summer of dental work for me. After the grafts healed, I wore spacers between my front teeth (soooo attractive... NOT) so that my ortho could slenderize my teeth prior to taking impressions for the Invisalign trays. Now, I'm wearing a hard plastic (Essix type) retainer until the Invisaligns come in. They are very similar to the Invisaligns... clear, very hard to get on and off yet made of a different plastic. Estimated time for the Invisaligns is between 2 and 3 years with highly probable conventional braces for a while to fine tune. (I guess I'm a tough case.)

So... here are my questions...

1. I have to keep my Essix retainers wet when I'm not wearing them... either soaking in water or wrapped in a wet paper towel (inside the case, of course). Do you have to keep Invisalign trays wet? I'm hoping not, because it is a PITA!!!!!

2. How far do the Invisalign trays go up on your teeth? My retainers do not cover the entire front surface of my teeth. Not a concern with my bottom teeth, but I'd like it if they completely cover my top teeth.

3. I've seen several of you mention Efferdent to clean Invisaligns... is this something that your ortho told you to do or something that you heard of. How often do you use the Efferdent on the trays?

4. Has anyone had a tray that they couldn't get on? I had a really hard time getting these retainers on... in fact, they had to trim the bottom ones in order for them to fit. I realize that the Invisalign trays will be a "better" fit, but just wondering what you do if you can't get a tray on. (I assume get an appt with the ortho... LOL)

Thanks in advance!!!
Leigh Ann :o

waiting2smile

#2 Post by waiting2smile »

Hello,

We seem to have similar cases consided " difficult" with Invisalign, snaggle tooth and all! :lol: To answer some of your questions:

You do not need to keep the aligners wet but I would recommend rinsing them off with cold each time you take them out. You definiately want to keep them out of hot water, including cleaning and drinking ( coffee, tea, ect..) because this can warp the aligners. Your dentist/ortho will give you a hard case to keep them in when you have them out.

My aligners completely cover my teeth top and bottom, no one knows I hav them unless I point it out. If your aligners do not cover your teeth fully they may not be fitting properly so you may want to give your ortho a call just to make sure.

I've read about using Efferdent to clean the aligners and asked my dentist if it was ok to use during one of my appointments. He said it was fine and even gave me some samples. It does a pretty good job of freshening them up but I also like to brush mine with a little kids tooth brush ( they are usually softer than adult brushes ) just to keep them clean as possible.

I have never had tray I couldnt get on but taking them off can sometimes be a challenge. have your ortho watch you put them in and take them out on your first visit this way he can give you pointers to help you if you have a hard time. After a couple of days you'll figure out a way that works for you. The first 3 days of each set are the hardest but after that it easy as pie!

Hope this helps and good luck, its a slow process but it will all be worth it in the end!!
Last edited by waiting2smile on Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

invisagirl

#3 Post by invisagirl »

Hi Leigh Ann,
Well I have both Invisalign and Essix (my lower arch was done two years ago) so I'll give you the best answers I have.

1. Did they tell you you have to keep the Essix retainer wet?? I only wear the Essix at night and in the morning I brush it and then put in in the align case where it is "exposed" to the elements all day. Anyway when I not wearing the Invisalign aligner I don't keep it submerged in water and haven't had any issues. They might be telling you to submerge it so it doesn't get calcifications but I've found that an Oral B spiral brush and a dental pick (got at Target) take care of any calcifications that are starting to build.

2. Usually the invisalign aligner will cover the complete tooth. Sometimes though it might be a few mm off. I haven't found it to make it more noticeable.

3. My ortho told me to use Efferdent but on the Invisalign website I found that they recommend you don't use Efferdent. Maybe that's so you'll buy their cleaning system. Anyway I brush my aligner using a gel toothpaste (other toothpaste is to harsh according the Invisalign) twice a day and take the Oral B spiral brush to clean the areas that the toothbrush misses at night. My routine has kept my aligners clean so I think you can get away with not using Efferdent if you want.

4. I've found that when Invisalign is moving the front teeth sometimes the aligners are hard to get on at first. When its time to change aligners I do it right before I go to bed so if I have to use a little "elbow grease" I sleep though the pressure.

Good luck!!

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.

JCarr30627

#4 Post by JCarr30627 »

If your aligners do not cover your teeth fully they may not be fitting properly so you may want to give your ortho a call just to make sure.

It's the Essix retainers that aren't covering my teeth completely... I'll just have to wait and see how the Invisaligns are.

Hope this helps and good luck, its a slow process but it will all be worth it in the end!!

It does help... thank you so much!!!! I'm so excited to get this all started!!![/quote]

JCarr30627

#5 Post by JCarr30627 »

invisagirl wrote: 1. Did they tell you you have to keep the Essix retainer wet??

Good luck!!
Yes, they did... but I didn't think to ask why. Hmm... probably is the calcification thing.

I'll have to look for one of the Oral B spiral brushes... sounds like it will come in handy.

Thanks for the reply... it helps a lot!!!:D

JCarr30627

#6 Post by JCarr30627 »

JCarr30627 wrote:
Yes, they did... but I didn't think to ask why. Hmm... probably is the calcification thing.
An update to this... I had a cleaning today with my regular dentist and asked the hygenist about keeping the retainers wet. She said that they can shrink. Umm... OK. LOL

I have another question... How do the Essix retainers and the Invisaligns compare... are they the same thickness, same feel, same look, etc.?

invisagirl

#7 Post by invisagirl »

Hmmm... I guess I must be shrinking mine and not even noticing it. Or maybe that's why it feels tight sometimes. All this time I thought it was my teeth were moving. I think I'm going to have to do some scientific experiements on that :wink:

As for the differences between Essix and Invisalign I know they must be made out of different materials but they pretty much feel the same when wearing them. As for if they "look" the same its hard for me to say since I have buttons/speedbumps with the invisalign which I think makes it more noticeable. I do think the Invisalign trays are more sturdy because sometimes I think I might break the essix when I'm brushing it cause I'm holding on to it too tight.

Overall I think once your aligners come in you'll have a really easy time getting used to them since you've had the Essix while waiting.

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.