Carriere and Invisalign questions

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jcd5v

Carriere and Invisalign questions

#1 Post by jcd5v »

I have an overbite and my bottom incisors are taller than my bottom premolars creating a curve to my bottom dental arcade. However, I have always been told I have a pretty smile and I self- correct the overbite by consciously keeping my incisors on top of each other which improves my profile and keeps my top lip from jutting out past my bottom. However, I can’t eat like that because my molars don’t touch when I do that. So, I recently went to an orthodontic consult and I was recommended a carriere for 6 months followed by Invisalign. My concern is that the carriere is going to worsen my smile and create noticeable gaps that will take a while before I have my pretty smile back. I’m about to go start clinics for veterinary school, so having a good smile is important to me. So, my first question is how noticeable are the gaps? My other question is if I just decided to do Invisalign to straighten my teeth and fix my lower incisors to a more normal position I’m assuming it would be more comfortable to consciously fix my overbite by keeping my incisors on top of each other. Would there be detrimental effects to doing that? I do have TMJ disease but I’m not sure if that started before I started self- correcting or after. I’m also worried that the carriere will worsen my profile and that there won’t be any going back at that point as it’s just bringing my maxilla back and not doing anything to bring my mandible forward even thought the orthodontist said it would bring the mandible forward ( my research says the opposite). He told me my case isn’t bad enough for surgery although I feel like that might be a better option so that my mandible is actually brought forward instead of receding my maxilla. Opinions?