After treatment concerns

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kboykb

After treatment concerns

#1 Post by kboykb »

Link for the pics at the bottom*

Hey guys. Just was wondering about something here. I have a skeletal crossbite with a ~3-4 mm of shift towards my left side. After consulting with a surgeon and orthodontist, it seemed braces was the way to go. The surgeon could "see the shift", but felt like it wasn't severe enough for such a big surgery. My orthodontist felt confident he could fix it with braces (which he thankfully did).

I've completed my invisalign after one full set and 2 refinement sets, mainly using IPR + trays. Although the crossbite is fixed, my teeth are still skewed towards the left side and the main teeth that touch are my left lateral incisors and canines. Chewing is awkward and it's hard to eat certain foods without having to swallow them halfway. I asked my ortho about this and this is about as good as it's going to get. My teeth look good aesthetically, but the shift is still causing me bite problems. Not sure if I need elastics, expansion, surgery, or just a tall glass of "be satisfied" :) .

Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/91RDGOq

SinkFullOfDinner

Re: After treatment concerns

#2 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

kboykb wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:40 pm...my teeth are still skewed towards the left side and the main teeth that touch are my left lateral incisors and canines. Chewing is awkward and it's hard to eat certain foods without having to swallow them halfway...the shift is still causing me bite problems.
Honestly, these sound like "before" comments, not "after." I'm certainly no ortho, so I have no idea if the skewing part is just an unfortunate byproduct of making things work without surgery. However, having only a few front teeth touching, awkward chewing that doesn't work, and the continuing shift of your bite to the left should concern anyone. Again, no ortho and I have no experience with invisalign, but the left side doesn't look like it's coordinated top-bottom. That kind of stuff is what the elastics worked on in my case.

Did your ortho say that's as good as it can get, period, or as good as he/she can get it with Invisalign? Can they (and are they willing to) fix those big remaining things if you were ok with regular braces to tune it up? And don't beat yourself up about toughing it out with a tall glass of "be satisfied." Your comments are legit.

kboykb

Re: After treatment concerns

#3 Post by kboykb »

My ortho basically said "your teeth are either going to be touching or in a crossbite, it's not going to get much better than that". At the beginning of treatment he did say if it got to a point that invisalign wasn't working, we could switch to braces - but towards the end it seemed like he wasn't really too interested in going in that direction anymore. It kind of closed the door on pushing for any extra movements, but I guess I could always bring it up to him or get another consultation as well!