Invisalign - serious effects on my body

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cmccart

Invisalign - serious effects on my body

#1 Post by cmccart »

I started wearing Invisalign in May 2018. After 3 weeks my voice sounded like a deaf person's voice. I didn't think it would be permanent and found no other person having had this side effect when I searched on line. However, after a few months, I developed swallowing and breathing difficulties. I have had 3 episodes of choking on certain foods, and am now very careful what I eat. Also I have weakness in my right lower leg, making it difficult to walk properly. My voice has since got worse and I now find it very difficult to communicate. I went to my GP in November and he referred me to a Neurologist. I stopped wearing the brace in February after reading about 'life-threatening' events on line. After several tests, MRI, CT scan, EMG/NCS and numerous blood tests I am now faced with a life-shortening diagnosis. Has anyone else had anything like this? I am keen to get the brace tested for toxic chemicals/contaminants. I found out, too late, that the braces were made in Mexico rather than the USA where I had thought they were made.

Jethro

Re: Invisalign - serious effects on my body

#2 Post by Jethro »

I have no experience with Invisalign, but I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. You may want to post this in the Metal Mouth Forum as it seems to get much more traffic.

All the Best,

Jethro

AndAndAnd

#3 Post by AndAndAnd »

What makes you think wearing Invisalign braces has caused your health problems?

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

I'm glad that a neurologist is evaluating you. This sounds to me almost like the symptoms of ALS (Lou Gherig's Disease) and you should ask your doctor about that.

Regarding the Invisalign, it has caused some people to have allergic reactions, but not to the extent of the symptoms that you describe (that I have heard of). Mainly what I've read is that people have swelling or rashes in their mouth, possibly affecting their ability to swallow -- or they have sore throats.

They do make Invisalign aligners which are supposed to be totally hypoallergenic, and some people who have had problems have switched to the hypoallergenic aligners. You should ask your dentist or orthodontist about that.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Sjhm2020

Re: Invisalign/toxic leaching /poisoning - serious effects on my body

#5 Post by Sjhm2020 »

Hello - Below is a brief synopsis of my situation. I started Invisalign clear braces on March 14 2022 took them out on October 5th 2022 after discovering that I was having a severe reaction to the material they use in the Trays a polyurethane which were leaching into my system via my stomach. I have had them out for 15 days ( please see photos of my face today) I am still experiencing severe pain and swelling in face. I have been to the ER 3 times in two weeks- at no point was I ever advised that all of my issues( which my GP HAS DONE EXTENSIVE TESTS OVER THE 8 months to try to understand why I was having all these issues) which started shortly after my Invisalign was implemented could possibly be from the Invisalign. I have a toxicology reports positively identifying the material INVISALIGN uses in my system which was taken in October 10. Align technology has only spoken to me once- help. The client agreement does disclose any these potential issues even though they were warned by the FDA for non disclosure of all of the hazards.

So I am updating again to my horrific experience with INVISALIGN poisoning. I needed you in the ER FOR THE 3rd time in 12 days today. My pulse was sitting at 209- ER tried all options to bring it down and finally tried Adenisone - which stops your heart. I have had trays out since the 5th of October- still have grotesque blisters in my lips - lymph’s are still Swollen jaw tissues still very irritated and swollen. When are all of these reactions going to subside- I am waiting on toxicology reports. But I have extensive comprehensive blood tests run in the last two weeks- I have had six- and nothing has come back abnormal.

I went to the ER on Saturday, October 8 after discovering that my Invisalign trays were causing me a severe adverse reaction. I had full face swelling blisters in the labs, tongue, swelling, I swelling, lymph node swelling, difficulty breathing, heart palpitations, migraine, extreme fatigue, brain fog. The ER doctor prescribed me 50 mg of prednisone I had removed the Invisalign trays on Tuesday night October 5. Saw my dentist Wednesday, October 6. The swelling was bad but persisted to get worse within my actual mouth and lips and lymph nodes. I am on my fourth day of 50 mg prednisone and the swelling has started to recede but the blistering which is in my lips and inside my jaw tissue is persistent, and ER doctor said it could take weeks for this to subside due to the duration of exposure from the Invisalign trays, which has been six months, and he could not tell me when I may return back to normal. When I first put the Invisalign in, I started to experience headaches had some swelling, but it would come and go as the months went on. I started to experiencing migraines severe upon waking up, severe, chronic fatigue, severe joint pain severe brain fog I was sleeping 12 to 14 hours a day. It has totally disrupted my life. My doctor has categorically logged all of these issues because we have done blood test and allergy test to try and figure out what the problem was in the whole time. The problem was the Invisalign tray , I have done research and found hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of other documentations of experiences like mine or worse. The Invisalign client agreement does not disclose any of these severe reactions being a possibility my dentist was totally unaware of any of these adverse reactions being an issue, and on the website, they do not disclose any type of adverse reactions. Had I had the knowledge to know that these symptoms were caused by the Invisalign I could’ve ended my treatment much sooner and save myself months and months of pain and suffering.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ ... id=4577830

https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/news/ ... da-warning

https://alignerology.com/wp-content/upl ... salign.pdf

https://fda.report/MAUDE/MDR/8623943

<Invisalign Material Safety Data Sheet.pdf>

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

Thank you so much for posting about your adverse reaction to Invisalign. I hope that you are able to successfully resolve your symptoms and feel better again soon! Please keep us posted!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!