My Invisalign thoughts

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jfullflow10

My Invisalign thoughts

#1 Post by Jfullflow10 »

I had Invisalign for 8 months prior to my double jaw surgery in Aug of 18, it was great to get my teeth ready prior to the surgery. Post surgery I was back to my invisalign after one week but it I had a collapse of the right upper jaw and had to go back in for a revision surgery in September. After that it was traditional braces for me due to having the revision and really needing elastics and tough wires to keep things in place. While Invisalign was fantastic and convenient, I wonder how much it played into the collapse of my jaw after the first surgery. I think with traditional braces it would have held the jaw up better. That's pure speculation though, I need to say that. If surgery is on the menu for you, I would definitely talk with your orthodontist about what they think is the best option. I know many orthodontists don't like an Invisalign/surgery combo as many don't have a lot of experience with it. It's definitely doable but I don't think my bite could properly be corrected post op if I stayed in Invisalign. Way too many elastics and tough wires were needed to hold things in place and get the jaws and teeth moved to the right positions. I am extraordinarily thankful to my orthodontist for never charging me extra for having to move to traditional braces after invisalign. He has been great to work with. I am down to my last month or so in braces and I am very ready to put this chapter of my life to bed.