Elastics: Buttons vs. brackets w/hooks

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Speck

Elastics: Buttons vs. brackets w/hooks

#1 Post by Speck »

Howdy. I've had elastics since day one and have found that placing them on the buttons to be a PITA and corresponding time sink. So, I made a query with the ortho as to something easier/better. Approximately two hours later the lower buttons were replaced by brackets w/hooks; easier to fix the elastics now. So, if you have buttons and struggle to get elastics fixed, you might want to consider having them swapped out.

Button:
Button.jpeg
Bracket w/hook:
Bracket.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andy

kplatt2010

Re: Elastics: Buttons vs. brackets w/hooks

#2 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi Speck,
I don't have either of those. Mine are clear plastic nubs that are a serious PIA. The non-latex elastics are always popping off due to their thickness. If
I could have a do-over; would definitely go all metal and even take the hooks. I just want this to be done.
What i would like the ortho to do is put some lower lingual hooks and do through bite elastics. However; I don't think he does those; lacks the experience for this maneuver?? The ortho keeps telling me a stronger wire will roll these teeth right out...Nope. :roll:

download/file.php?mode=view&id=7246

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Speck

#3 Post by Speck »

Hi, Karla. Good pic, but even so kinda hard to see what you have. Pity that you're in a situation where no action is possible in terms of making the task of placing elastics easier. My clumsy fingers need every bit of help they can get and the bracket and hook affair is much easier to accurately target than the button. I may have the upper buttons replaced, as well. I really like my ortho. 8)
-Andy

kplatt2010

#4 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi Speck-ask Google...This is a pic of the ceramic bracket and button nub that I believe I have. Buttons suck; big metal hooks are definitely what I'd do if given the opportunity. I'd give the ortho the go ahead to put them on the buccal side and the lingual side if it would move them :lol: After doing this 2+ years, the aesthetics of the braces goes out the window.
Say no to ceramic; the metal one that you have pictured has a longer neck to hold a thicker band in place. The ceramic is stubby and flips thick non-latex easily.

If you look adjacent to where my band is; in my previous pic, you can just make out another tiny ceramic nub.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=7247

Speck

#5 Post by Speck »

Def a low-profile hook on that clear bracket. Maybe, in general, folks who opt for clear brackets prefer low-pro all around? Dunno. But yeah, after a spell, perhaps most just wish to get through treatment and cease to care about conspicuity of ortho mouth-bits. Luckily for me, elastics are placed and nicely hidden behind my cheeks; though I have a sneaking suspicion that will change at some point in time.

It remains to be seen whether or not having brackets with hooks on top will make it easier for my mitts to place elastics there, but having them placed in lieu of buttons on the bottom made it easier to do so. Also, after having woken up at night finding elastics had come loose, I worry about inhaling them. So, I reckon it's worthwhile to swap out the uppers. Did I say that I really like my ortho?
-Andy

Speck

#6 Post by Speck »

Brackets w/hooks top and bottom now; not much more uncomfortable than the four buttons they've replaced. I haven't missed placing elastics since and have peace of mind knowing they will stay put. It sucks to be chatting with someone and then suddenly thwack, an elastic lets go. I wonder if people hear it and notice the sudden expression of surprise ( :shock: ) cross my face? :lol:

It's been three months now and I've grown weary of aligners covering upper and lower teeth. Okay, not weary: Sick and tired. Had I opted to go the route of traditional brackets, I'm guessing I'd feel the same? Once I'm through the first round of 48 aligners and should the ortho deem it necessary for refinements, I may either call it quits and just get retainers or ask that refinements be done using brackets (not sure yet this is an option).
-Andy

C11

#7 Post by C11 »

Do the hooks/buttons only go on the bottom, back teeth for class 2 elastics?

kplatt2010

#8 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi There- I'm pretty sure mine are class II elastics. See below image. In regards to other locations for the buttons/ hooks, I believe they can also locate them lingually but may use for different configurations. It probably also depends on the type of braces that you have too. Traditional vs. Invisalign vs. lingual braces.download/file.php?mode=view&id=7262

Speck

#9 Post by Speck »

C11 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:04 pm Do the hooks/buttons only go on the bottom, back teeth for class 2 elastics?
Linky: http://www.bracesguide.com/duringbraces ... races.html
-Andy

C11

#10 Post by C11 »

Thanks for your replies. What I was trying to get at is if the button or hook would only be placed in the less visible location with Invisalign (like the back molars) but not the top canine for class 2.

Speck

#11 Post by Speck »

C11 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:37 pm Thanks for your replies. What I was trying to get at is if the button or hook would only be placed in the less visible location with Invisalign (like the back molars) but not the top canine for class 2.
My guess is, should they be called for, elastics will be placed where the ortho sees fit.
-Andy