Invisalign Questions

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gia

Invisalign Questions

#1 Post by Gia »

One consult recommended Invisalign. We didn't discuss all the specifics yet, but he did say it wouldn't be quick - at least 18 months.

I have some concerns.
1. I had a removable appliance years ago that really impaired my speech. I spend much of the day talking to patients, supervisees and presenting. I was really intolerant of the impediment, and kept it out. I worry I'll have the same issue with Invisalign
2. My work environment is a challenge. It's a correctional setting so I can't bring in a dental kit, toothpaste, brush, floss, etc. Brushing after eating or drinking is out of the question. Also I have a 60 mile commute and eat breakfast/have coffee in the car, and do the same one the way home. I am grossed out by the thought of putting the aligners in without brushing, and the bacteria that will grow there. Likewise not sure about not eating or drinking during the commute, especially as I don't eat a lot during the day and sip a couple of cups of black tea.
3. I'm freaking out a little over having my teeth completely covered by plastic 24/7 for 18 mos.
4. I'm usually a really compliant patient, but don't see how I can get in 22 hours a day with the various constraints, and I know that will be bad.

I'd really like to hear folks experiences and thoughts. I'm aware of all the positives but want to make the best decision for me.

Thanks!

Speck

Re: Invisalign Questions

#2 Post by Speck »

Whether or not you'll have a speech impediment (usually a lisp) will become clear at such time that you have aligners in your mouth.

With both Invisalign and bracket-style braces you'll be faced with extra oral hygiene on a daily basis. Grody, stinky, aligners (and teeth) would be a bad thing as would un-tidy brackets, especially in a professional environment.

With brackets you can get away with flossing 1 x day. With Invisalign, ideally you'll need to floss after food.

Hope this helps.
-Andy

EmilyTravels

#3 Post by EmilyTravels »

Ouch. I didn't realize you wouldn't be able to brush after eating due to your restrictive work environment.

That would not work well with either Invisalign or traditional braces. I feel absolutely gross if I can't brush after eating. Swishing with water and spitting only goes so far. It could be devastating to your oral health while in either type of braces to eat and either leave junk on your braces or put your aligners back in without cleaning your teeth first. I only floss once a day (night time) and also use mouthwash then, but I brush three times a day, after each meal. Many folks in braces go even farther than I do with Waterpics, multiple flossings a day, etc, but I haven't felt the need to take it quite that far.

On the way home, you could eat at the latter half of your commute, then rinse and brush right after arriving home, but on the way to work, you've got a real issue. There's truly no way to brush in your work restroom? You aren't allowed to bring the stuff in, I'm guessing?

Gia

#4 Post by Gia »

We're very restricted about what we could bring in. There's a list of allowed items (1-2 doses of OTC analgesic, 6 cough drops, brush/comb, small amount of cash, 1 sealed 16oz bottle of water). I have these little disposable toothbrushes in my car, I think Colgate whisper?

Speck

#5 Post by Speck »

Gia wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:06 pmI'm freaking out a little over having my teeth completely covered by plastic 24/7 for 18 mos.
BTW, going on two months and I'm still aware of the plastic aligners in my mouth most of the time.
-Andy

Gia

#6 Post by Gia »

That's my fear. Like claustrophobic, though I know it sounds silly.

Speck

#7 Post by Speck »

Were I to do it over, I'd likely opt for Invisalign on top and clear brackets on the bottom simply because having just one plastic aligner in the mouth is much more comfortable than two and brackets on the lower might be inconspicuous enough that I wouldn't tend to be self-conscious about them.
-Andy

liner

#8 Post by liner »

very slight speech issue.
honestly, it's really only when you do a LOT of talking. Just speak a little slower.

Yes, you may have to change your eating habits.
I know this may sound gross, but I have eaten or drank in my car and then took out my portable toothbrush and did a quick brush and rinse with a bottle of water and then spit in an empty cup and popped aligners back in.
You can eat and drink with the aligners in and then just take the out and rinse after. I am talking more lighter foods.
I have very good hygiene so although this all might sound gross, I remained clean throughout my treatment.

Wearing them all the time. You get used to them and if you need a break, pop them out.
I wore mine 22 plus hours a day, but there were days when I did less. Get accelerant.
No one will notice if you don't talk too close.
You get used to it.

Overall, my experience was very GOOD!