too much ipr done- freaking out

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dentaldrama33

too much ipr done- freaking out

#1 Post by dentaldrama33 »

Hello, this is my first post. I had IPR done on my front top teeth without my consent and it's giving me so much anxiety. It was done at my first appointment and i first thought i was exaggerating how bad it was in my head and that maybe i would get used to it. However I'm on tray 7 now (14 weeks into treatment), and i have decided to have my teeth restored with bonding. Can I still continue using my trays? What would happen if i had been able to refuse the ipr? Also it was supposed to be.4mm according to my clincheck but at the distal edge of the tooth the gap is over 1mm wide and i find they look skinny and weird! Has anyone had a .4mm reduction done with a pic so i can compare to mine? I want to attach my pics for reference but can't seem to figure it out here. Any advice or insight would be sooo appreciated.

Speck

Re: too much ipr done- freaking out

#2 Post by Speck »

I suspect the amount of enamel removed from your teeth (IPR) was within reasonable limits.

Perhaps this post will help put your mind at ease:
viewtopic.php?p=499111#p499111

Also:
https://www.animated-teeth.com/dental-b ... ipping.htm

Cheers!
-Andy

dentaldrama33

#3 Post by dentaldrama33 »

sorry i can't edit original post but would like to add these links to pics so ppl can see why I'm not into this IPR. first is the scan of my real teeth and 2nd is a link to the "after". 3rd is how they are 14 weeks in (basically same as before.

real teeth
https://ibb.co/f5x7RK

day 0
https://ibb.co/bu3xRK

week 15
https://ibb.co/huYYYz

hope these links work! i mean i figure it's not an *unreasonable * amount of enamel, but that's gotta be more than .4mm no? can anyone see why i would be upset about this, or am i truly crazy? personally I'd rather have them overlap than be skinny and weird. but if anyone has pics to share of how theirs turned out I'd love to see them. most pics i saw online were not as noticeable as this.

Speck

#4 Post by Speck »

If your ortho provided you with ClinCheck videos showing the predicted movement of your teeth over the course of treatment, you'll be able to see around what point in time your two upper incisors will come together.
-Andy

chinglnc

#5 Post by chinglnc »

I can see why you are upset....they don't seem much difference from the picture...

Speck is right - check your clincheck when the gap is supposed to close....My experience is that closing a gap usually is easier to fix compared to fixing crowding/crook teeth...

I had a much wider gap than yours, and it did close eventually...

dentaldrama33

#6 Post by dentaldrama33 »

thanks to all for the responses!

my problem is not so much the gap itself but that i miss my former natural looking triangular incisors and find that the new teeth look skinny and unnatural. i also find that in general, triangular teeth have a more youthful feminine look so was trying to preserve that. i have an appointment with a cosmetic dentist in September so i will get a 2nd opinion and post if there is any update but i think i will need to wait until the end of treatment and then have them restored with bonding (hopefully) or veneers (which kind of freak me out).

how long does it take for the sensitivity to go away if ever? i have a constant (mild) throbbing pain where they were shaved down (it's been 15 weeks)?

also is it normal for ipr to be done without consent?

appreciate any input on any of this!! 🙏

chinglnc

#7 Post by chinglnc »

I don't think legally the ortho needs consent from the patient to do IPR, but it would have been nice if your ortho told you about this before hand.....

The IPR shouldn't cause any pain (some ppl experience mild pain when it was freshly done).

I wonder whether the pain relates to the IPR or it's simply where the teeth move? Do you have clinchceck? was the focus on the movement on front teeth during the last few weeks?

Every new set will always cause some kind of discomfort which is normal...the first few trays are always the most painful one but once your teeth get used to the 'movement'- it will feel more tolerable...

I think there are ways of filling the shape of your teeth (i.e. like using white composite)...

In any case, I think it would be good to express your concern to your ortho, may be telling him that you were shock with the unexpected results of the IPR and that you have mild pain where they were done- they should be able to see review your case against clinkcheck etc....

Let us know how you get on....

Speck

#8 Post by Speck »

dentaldrama33 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:27 pmhow long does it take for the sensitivity to go away if ever? i have a constant (mild) throbbing pain where they were shaved down (it's been 15 weeks)?
The amount of dust generated by IPR done on my teeth was alarming to the point that I wondered why the ortho hadn't set up cones, strung caution tape, and worn a hardhat. :lol:

With specific reference to sensitivity/pain: For me, personally, there was/is neither.

Best of luck to you!
-Andy