Jaw surgery vs. carrière motion III + Invisalign?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Meowmeowbeans2

Jaw surgery vs. carrière motion III + Invisalign?

#1 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

I had braces 15 years ago and wore retainers well for 7-8 years before stopping. My teeth still look straight, but I've developed a crossbite on the right side and my front teeth are almost end to end, causing some gum erosion. I don't have any jaw pain or sensitivity, and didn't even notice the gums until a dentist pointed it out on specific teeth in the worst of the bite conflict.

Today a new orthodontist pointed out that my lower jaw has grown out a bit more on the right side (he can see my jaw/chin pointing to the left) and my upper jaw is slightly too small. My upper teeth really seemed to have tilted inward over time as crossbite developed.

He gave me two options:
1. Braces and jaw surgery: My mother had her upper and lower done in the 80s and recommends against it as she still has no feeling in her lower face at all. I'm trying to get appointments with two oral surgeons to see if it'd be the same procedure as what she had or something less intense...
2. Carrière motion III + Invisalign: Carrière motion III on the right side (and possibly also left) to pull lower molars back in the jaw, then Invisalign to tilt my upper teeth back out and pull front lowers in underneath. Anyone had this type of treatment? Googling shows me the carrière motion III only came out in 2015, so there's not much info to go on apart from some success stories... so it's unclear what long term impacts are. It seems too good to be true!

I'm still collecting info - seeing a periodontist in 2 weeks, trying to see one more ortho and two oral surgeons in next month or so - but my instinct is to at least try the non-surgical option since I don't have any TMJ/breathing/pain. I just can't get a sense of the effectiveness of the carrière motion III since it's relatively new!

Speck

Re: Jaw surgery vs. carrière motion III + Invisalign?

#2 Post by Speck »

Meowmeowbeans2 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:34 pm...but my instinct is to at least try the non-surgical option since I don't have any TMJ/breathing/pain. I just can't get a sense of the effectiveness of the carrière motion III since it's relatively new!
I say trust your instinct and go with curtain #2.

Did your ortho indicate length of treatment for the second option/approach?
-Andy

Meowmeowbeans2

Re: Jaw surgery vs. carrière motion III + Invisalign?

#3 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

I've since seen 2 other orthos who say a year in regular braces is all I need, thank goodness! I think the first guy was too aggressive and wanted "perfect" and I will plan to just do braces and get to "better" in my bite.