questions about invisalign

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BwayLove387

questions about invisalign

#1 Post by BwayLove387 »

Hey everyone, I'm new on the boards and I have a few questions. I'm sure I'll only know the answers for sure after I see the dentist (I have my consultation next Weds) but what the heck...

First, I was wondering if it's really necessary to have my molars moved with the invisalign. It's really just my front 6 that are the problem and I want it for cosmetic reasons more than anything else. I have no problems with my molars and I think I have perfect or near perfect bite? I mean I've never been reccommended to an orthodontist so I'm just figuring. So basically my question is- is it possible for the invisalign to ONLY move the front 6 teeth?

Also, 2 of my front teeth are fake.. well, I knocked them out when I was 7 and I think one of them is just a bonding and the other is a completely fake tooth. Actually, I'm not entirely sure because I was so young when I got them fixed that I never really asked. Does this make it impossible for me to get invisalign? I always kind of assumed that you couldn't get braces on fake teeth. That would really suck, lol.

If anyone knows the answer to either of my questions it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much.

rooroo

#2 Post by rooroo »

To your first question: Yes, but generally they move the molars a bit to make room for the changes in your front teeth if they're crowded. If there are spaces, they may not have to move the molars or only slightly.

To your second question: Not sure about the fake tooth, but the one thats bonded shouldnt be a problem. You may have to get the fake tooth replaced with a new one. I believe the reason traditional braces don't work on bonded or fake teeth is the brackets don't glue well to them. They would use a metal band instead. But with Invisalign, they don't have to bond anything to your teeth.
2 year Invisalign patient graduated to ceramics to finish up treatment

invisagirl

#3 Post by invisagirl »

To Question 1: Depending on what they need to do to your front teeth and what room is currently there will determine if they need to move your molars. The ortho will be able to tell you on the spot if you ask him/her.

To Question 2: As long as the teeth haven't had implants there shouldn't be a big problem. If the crowned teeth end up needing to have a small button/speedbump attached to them the button may not hold but its not a huge deal. I had a crown that was supposed to have a speedbump placed on but it wouldn't stay so the tooth went "naked" and did fine.

Good luck!

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.

BwayLove387

#4 Post by BwayLove387 »

Ok I just had my consultation and my dentist said that I would benefit from invisalign because it would close up my space and get rid of some crowding but he would recommend veneers more because the shape of my teeth is a little off... like some are more narrow than others. I don't think it's that noticeable, but I don't know which to do! How do veneers compare with invisalign price-wise?

invisagirl

#5 Post by invisagirl »

Well here is my take (from my soapbox) :wink:

I'm not sure how pricewise Invisalign and veeners compare but remember that with veneers they ground your teeth down to be able to fit the veener on top (like what they do with a crown). So essentially once you get veeners there is no going back because the original structure of the tooth has been compromised.

With Invisalign they may slenderize a few teeth but you still have your teeth.

Just something to keep in mind when your deciding.

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.

Indomethecin

#6 Post by Indomethecin »

8)

jenns91civic

#7 Post by jenns91civic »

You misspelled indomethacin...just an FYI.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys