Invisalign vs Orthogagnic surgery

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kwazulu

Invisalign vs Orthogagnic surgery

#1 Post by kwazulu »

I have a relapsed open bite from previous traditional orthodontic work in my teens. I've been given a couple treatment options, but basically I'm torn between trying molar intrusion with Invisalign and getting jaw surgery.

Option 1 is two years of Invisalign treatment. The orthodontist wants to intrude my molars to close the open bite and over-correct the bite in the front so that I have some room if it does relapse a little. Option 2 is traditional braces. The orthodontist wanted to extrude the incisors with elastics (which is what I previously had done) and put me in braces in preparation for surgery.

Has anyone had open bite success with molar intrusion with invisalign? I prefer option 1, but honestly I'm worried because it sounds too good to be true. I really want the most stable option because I'm not doing braces a third time.

ShiningCity

Re: Invisalign vs Orthogagnic surgery

#2 Post by ShiningCity »

So he's saying that he can fix it without surgery with invisalign, but with traditional braces, he'll need to perform surgery after?

If I'm understanding that correctly, that makes literally no sense to me. Invisalign can treat most problems traditional braces can(but not all), but I'm not aware of anything it can do that traditional braces cannot do.

assertives

Re: Invisalign vs Orthogagnic surgery

#3 Post by assertives »

ShiningCity wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:37 pm So he's saying that he can fix it without surgery with invisalign, but with traditional braces, he'll need to perform surgery after?

If I'm understanding that correctly, that makes literally no sense to me. Invisalign can treat most problems traditional braces can(but not all), but I'm not aware of anything it can do that traditional braces cannot do.
I think what he is saying is not that traditional braces cannot fix the open bite, but rather, using traditional braces to prepare him for surgery later. So OP is essentially choosing surgery as the treatment modality which will first require him to be in braces to prepare him for surgery as the end step.
kwazulu wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:39 pm I have a relapsed open bite from previous traditional orthodontic work in my teens. I've been given a couple treatment options, but basically I'm torn between trying molar intrusion with Invisalign and getting jaw surgery.

Option 1 is two years of Invisalign treatment. The orthodontist wants to intrude my molars to close the open bite and over-correct the bite in the front so that I have some room if it does relapse a little. Option 2 is traditional braces. The orthodontist wanted to extrude the incisors with elastics (which is what I previously had done) and put me in braces in preparation for surgery.

Has anyone had open bite success with molar intrusion with invisalign? I prefer option 1, but honestly I'm worried because it sounds too good to be true. I really want the most stable option because I'm not doing braces a third time.
It does sound too good to be true, especially since your case is severe enough for the ortho to recommend surgery. You have already tried the conservative approach when you got traditional braces in your teens, and you saw a relapse, so perhaps surgery would offer the most stable outcome. Have you tried getting a 2nd opinion?