Overjet 10mm. Can invisalign fix it?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Clare1

Overjet 10mm. Can invisalign fix it?

#1 Post by Clare1 »

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I had invisalign about 8 years ago and unfortunately didn't realise the importance of wearing a retainer. Over the years since my teeth have shifted. At the time of my invisalign 8 years ago, it wasn't mentioned about my overjet and overbite. I didn't realise I had them. However, I have noticed that my teeth are getting worse and I am not sure if it's related but I seem to have a problem with chewing meat which has resulted in me having some choking episodes. I have an appointment with my dentist soon where they are going to talk about invisalign. I have tried to measure my overjet and I think it's about 10mm and by overbite covers all my bottom teeth. Do you think invisalign could help?

DrJasonKTam

Re: Overjet 10mm. Can invisalign fix it?

#2 Post by DrJasonKTam »

As a recurring theme with Invisalign or braces treatment, the idea isn't whether the product of braces or Invisalign can correct a malocclusion, but rather the doctor you work with can use these tools to help make a correction.

The best thing to do is visit an doctor to discuss your initial situation. There are more and more types of cases that doctors can address using Invisalign if the planning is correct. However, there are also initial situations where the jaws and teeth need more than simple tooth movement alone. Good luck!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

Clare1

#3 Post by Clare1 »

Thank you for your response. I visited the dentist yesterday and advised that invisalign could help with overbite but not the overjet. I have an appointment with an orthodontist next week

Clare1

#4 Post by Clare1 »

The dentist did say that I would need an implant for a missing tooth at the bottom back before any brace treatment before invisalign.

Murcatko

#5 Post by Murcatko »

My overjet is 9mm and I was told by an orthodontist (top in the country with Invisalign) that Invisalign can treat almost any case and that it is a missinformation and common missunderstanding that it is only for minor cases. He estimated my treatment at 2 years (compared to 18 months with fixed ceramic braces), but in the end I decided for ceramics, because it is cheaper and in my opinion much less hassle than having something over my teeth all the time and not being able to eat with it :D

Clare1

#6 Post by Clare1 »

I think every case is different. Unfortunately when I saw the consultant orthodontist at our hospital he advised, that in my case I would need surgery

Elainef28

#7 Post by Elainef28 »

I am currently in Damon braces
I had a overjet of 12.5 when I started and 14 weeks later
It’s down to an 8
I have to wear elastics also 24 hours a day I’ve seen huge changes.
I’ve still a year to go but what a massive difference.
In the end I paid privately as I had my hospital orthodontist wanting to break jaws etc, but seeing things change however little I’m glad I’ve gone down this road
I think jaw surgery would be very traumatic

Nabba786r

#8 Post by Nabba786r »

Hi I have a similar case to you I have a 9mm overjet and my treatment plan would be Damon braces with elastics. I would like to know how did your results turn out? And also did you notice any changes in your facial structure and facial profile, also any changes to your lips mainly upper lip did it push back with your teeth being pushed back? As I have mine in a weeks time but I’ve been told they will try with no extractions to keep a wide smile

ahhWolf

#9 Post by ahhWolf »

Honestly, I believe Invisalign nowadays can fix a lot of the more serious problems. I had a 5-6mm overjet. My orthodontist suggested to use Invisalign with precision wings which functions similarly to Twin Block called the Precision wings. Now I have maybe a 1-2mm bite at the moment. I'm just hoping there would be no relapse. You can look into it. However, 10 mm may also be too much for it but I was browsing through the forum and it seems that there are individuals that are able to get the results they want without surgery. Let me know how it goes! Good luck!

I was also recommended by the ortho to do surgery but I declined and he said that this way I could avoid it.

C11

#10 Post by C11 »

My I ask how old you are? Asking because I thought the MA was for teens, and I'm concerned that elastics aren't doing enough with my invisalign. Hope it might be an option for me.