Recommendations for cleaning products & routine

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Beaujolais

Recommendations for cleaning products & routine

#1 Post by Beaujolais »

Almost two weeks in, and I'm still spending way too much time trying to keep up the Invisalign cleaning routine. Anybody have any shortcuts, tricks for quick routine that still feels like your teeth are "safe" from lurking cavity makers?

Mom2Son

Re: Recommendations for cleaning products & routine

#2 Post by Mom2Son »

Plz tolerate the cleaning process because the affects and dangers of overgrowth of bacteria could compromise your health. Read my post under the respiratory post. You don't want to take any changes with developing a bacterial infection which may lead to heart failure.

Jfullflow10

#3 Post by Jfullflow10 »

What are you using currently?

I use retainer brite and a toothbrush and my orthodontist always comments on how clean my trays are when I come in for a checkup. I let the trays soak for about 20 minutes while I eat and then brush them thoroughly and rinse them.

eb1990

#4 Post by eb1990 »

I use retainer bright most mornings :)

Speck

#5 Post by Speck »

Doesn’t Invisalign recommend using a toothbrush and toothpaste? In any event, that’s exactly my approach mornings when I get up and evenings just before bed.

APriv

#6 Post by APriv »

I'll be getting them in a few months, good info. Thanks all!

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

If you brush clear aligners or retainers, you will be putting microscopic scratches in them which will make them prone to harbor more bacteria, and could cloud them up eventually. It's best not to brush those type of retainers or aligners. Also, toothpaste is abrasive and does not kill bacteria which makes your retainer or aligner smell bad.

DentaKit.com carries 7 different types of retainer cleaners. We also have a "Retainer Cleaner Finder" tool to help you figure out which one(s) are best for your situation: https://www.dentakit.com/cleaner-finder.html
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Speck

#8 Post by Speck »

Interesting. Perhaps a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution would be a compatible cleaner/disinfectant in which one might soak aligner trays? Seems reasonable.