Invisalign on Bottom, Braces on top

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jess33

Invisalign on Bottom, Braces on top

#1 Post by Jess33 »

Does anyone else have both braces and Invisalign? I’m wondering if I will need rubber bands later and if they can attach from the braces I have on top to the Invisalign trays on bottom. Also wondering how common it is to have both at the same time...

EmilyTravels

Re: Invisalign on Bottom, Braces on top

#2 Post by EmilyTravels »

I've never heard of an ortho mixing it up that way. What was the reason giving for doing you half and half?

I suppose you'll need attachments on a couple of your bottom teeth to run elastics from upper to lowers.

Beemur

#3 Post by Beemur »

I think that would be possible for sure. I have invisalign and with my elastic, they just modify your aligners a little to either hook the elastic onto them or cut a hole so they can glue a little attachment to a tooth, it's surprisingly really quick and easy haha. I don't think there would be an issue with the two different appliances working together.

Raekon

#4 Post by Raekon »

Since you've already got braces on top why not go for braces on bottom aswell? Could probably save some money aswell

Jess33

#5 Post by Jess33 »

I’m not exactly sure why, but that’s what the orthodontist said would work the best. Possibly because I have the clear brackets and an overjet, I’ve heard you shouldn’t put the clear brackets on bottom because of the top teeth hit them it wears down the enamel. I just had my 16 week appointment today and they gave me rubber bands to help close the gaps from my premolars extractions, but they don’t hook to the lower arch yet, they go from bracket 3 to bracket 5 on top. They said next appointment they would put hooks on the lower for the elastics. Everything seems to be moving along nicely so far.