Is invisalign really invisible?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chinglnc

#1 Post by chinglnc »

I looked up invisalign videso on youtube, some of them are quite visible!

Do people notice the aligner when you started the treatment?

I am considering between lingual and invisalign, and wondering which one is more invisible?

nybizzle

Re: Is invisalign really invisible?

#2 Post by nybizzle »

I had Invisalign for a short period of time before switching over to traditional metal braces, and it was not that invisible. That was because they put attachments/buttons on my teeth and made me wear elastics as well. I've seen other people with Invisalign who have attachments and elastics and I do still notice it. I guess that lingual braces will be more invisible, at least when people are looking at your teeth from the front!

chinglnc

#3 Post by chinglnc »

do you know if an invisalign patients have to wear those buttons throughout the entire treatment?

Can we choose to put button in a less visible place?

Beemur

#4 Post by Beemur »

I have 18 attachments, all my front teeth have attachments. So my invisalign is definitely not completely invisible if you get close enough. Without attachments, they would be very hard notice. I mean, when I take them out to eat and whatever the attachments themselves are totally not visible but when the aligners are in, you can definitely see them if you get close. If I had to compare them with my sister inlaws ceramic braces, they're definitely more invisible. My orthodontist said if the attachments on my two front teeth at the top were going to make me self conscious he could set my treatment so that they weren't there, but that would have to be done before he approves the treatment plan because otherwise all the aligners would come back from the lab with the little spaces for the attachments, but they definitely don't bother me because I was expecting them. But yeah, they are on for my whole treatment :) Personally, no one noticed my invisalign unless they were up close talking to me for a while. I think if you wanted complete invisibility, lingual would be the way to go, because if you have an ortho who won't compromise on attachments on the front teeth, you will end up with slight visibility.

Aaeolien

#5 Post by Aaeolien »

Less visible but not invisible. Girlfriend has Invisalign and I notice it but I also know it's there. I would say most people do not though and honestly most people don't care whether you have Invisalign or traditional braces. So if you are debating one or the other just pick whatever one makes you the most comfortable and go for it. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Girlfriend hates the inconvenience of having to pull trays out everytime she eats or drinks anything. I hate how much leftover food I'm cleaning out after eating anthing. Lol so there ya go.

chinglnc

#6 Post by chinglnc »

Thanks everyone. I am very self-conscious with my teeth so it's good to know that we can advise the ortho before they approve the treatment. I have never met anyone with invisalign before so this is really useful. Thank you so much for your advice!

invizzlerizzle

#7 Post by invizzlerizzle »

If you keep it clean and the trays fit good Id say its about 70% invisible from a normal face to to face conversation distance. This is because saliva collects between the trays and teeth and make the plastic shiny. However, From across the room 95%.

inkygirl

#8 Post by inkygirl »

Invisalign is less visible but not invisible, especially if you have attachments. I have lots of attachments, some on my front teeth! :D

I was SUPER self-conscious in the beginning, kept expecting everyone to stare at my mouth or to tell me I had something on my teeth. If anyone did notice, they never said anything! Also, I've found that I tend not to notice stuff like that if I'm talking with someone, so I'm assuming others are the same. Or maybe they briefly notice but then the brief observation fades into the background of the conversation and everything else that's going on.

I had a cover shoot (I'm a children's book author/illustrator; it was for a publishing industry magazine) shortly after I got my attachments. I briefly considered taking my trays out for the photo shoot but ended up just leaving them in. And even looking closely at the cover when the mag came out, you can't tell! So yay, Invisalign. :-)

chinglnc

#9 Post by chinglnc »

I have been wearing invisalign for 3 months and people who are close to me haven't mentioned it. Surprisingly my client who came to visit me last week immediately spotted the invisalign as she knew someone who has it.

I suppose people who knowledge of invisalign can see it easily...some other people either too embarrassed to mention it or they didn't know what they are....

inkygirl

#10 Post by inkygirl »

I think you're right -- I think I'd recognize Invisalign braces if I saw them now.
chinglnc wrote:I have been wearing invisalign for 3 months and people who are close to me haven't mentioned it. Surprisingly my client who came to visit me last week immediately spotted the invisalign as she knew someone who has it.

I suppose people who knowledge of invisalign can see it easily...some other people either too embarrassed to mention it or they didn't know what they are....
Debbie Ridpath Ohi - DebbieOhi.com - Twitter: @inkyelbows - Instagram: @inkygirl

tamifc

#11 Post by tamifc »

I just started my invisalign treatment yesterday and I find them very visible. It may just be my own sensitivities though. Also, I have an open bite that is not obvious regularly but with the trays the space between my upper and lower teeth is very obvious.