Advice on my situation?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Scottmc87

Advice on my situation?

#1 Post by Scottmc87 »

I wanna first say THANK YOU for having a forum like this for adults to reach out to each other. What a wonderful thing to have!

I will try to keep this as short as possible while also expressing my concerns. Thank you in advance for reading!

I am 29 and I always had VERY bad insecurities with my teeth. I never had the money to get them fix until now and I just started my treatment 1 month ago. I went to the ortho and they took the pictures and x-rays and I was sat down and told on the bottom I would need traditional braces while on the top I could do Invisalign. August 15th they bracketed me on the bottom and just yesterday I got the Invisalign trays. Here are my concerns.

When I sat down at my consultation they told me treatment time would be 22 months. When I got my trays yesterday there were only 24 total and I change them WEEKLY. How is this gonna work? Did anyone have a similar experience?

I remember during the scanning he said I have, overbite, overjet and he wanted to widen my arches. 24 trays weekly is 6 months :(. I really really hope I can get decent results in that time. Also, if I am gonna have the metal brackets on the bottom for 22 months, won't my bite change? If my tops are done in 6 months, how will I compensate for the bottoms change?

SingleJawMelb

Re: Advice on my situation?

#2 Post by SingleJawMelb »

Last edited by SingleJawMelb on Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

SingleJawMelb

#3 Post by SingleJawMelb »

You teeth need to move and stabilise for around 6 months I think. Maybe your top teeth don't need that much movement?

Dentist can change the bite in a lot of ways. Not sure why you wouldn't just have fixed braces on both teeth. It's much easier for the dentist I would have thought and God wearing Invasalign sound alike a pain.

PinkPeep

#4 Post by PinkPeep »

Hi.

The estimated treatment time given to me by my ortho was 18-24 months. I received 28 trays which is only about 13 months. I think it just depends on the number of different movements and the types of movements needed. I know some types of movements are much faster than others. There is also the possibility of refinements. I know in my case, I will be making payments for 24 months, so maybe that was factored into things. Good luck, the time will pass fast.

lnapes

#5 Post by lnapes »

Hello, my orthodontist thought it would take around 2 years for my treatment but Invisalign have estimated 28 trays, so approximately a year.

Perhaps your teeth don't need as many adjustments as you expected??

JadeWA

#6 Post by JadeWA »

I got good results with invisalign as a child in just 8 months, so I don't see why you couldn't :)

Smileop

#7 Post by Smileop »

While some of the math might not add up it's possible your ortho gave you estimated time while changing your tray every 2 weeks. Just recently invisalign stated that they saw no difference in outcomes changing the trays every week now as opposed to 2. So might explain why he has you changing them weekly now while it wasn't anticipated a few months ago

Lala082008

#8 Post by Lala082008 »

I'd ask your orthodontist -- they may be planning to rescan your teeth after you use up all your current aligners. I have a 3-year treatment plan and my first round included 52 aligners. I recently got rescanned and am now on a set of 17. By the end of the 52 aligners, they weren't fitting quite so well on top, and I actually wish I could've been rescanned sooner. So I don't think it's a bad thing at all. The only downside is you don't make any progress well waiting for new trays, but on the plus side you only have to wear your last set at night, which is amazing!

Scottmc87

#9 Post by Scottmc87 »

[quote="Lala082008"]I'd ask your orthodontist -- they may be planning to rescan your teeth after you use up all your current aligners. I have a 3-year treatment plan and my first round included 52 aligners. I recently got rescanned and am now on a set of 17. By the end of the 52 aligners, they weren't fitting quite so well on top, and I actually wish I could've been rescanned sooner. So I don't think it's a bad thing at all. The only downside is you don't make any progress well waiting for new trays, but on the plus side you only have to wear your last set at night, which is amazing![/quote]

So I got to tray 24 and I went into the ortho and he asked how I felt about the extraction of my wisdom teeth. I said sure, so he said lets pause for now and I'll see in you in 6 weeks. I have to wear tray 24 all this time! Do you mean that you only have to wear your last tray at night while you wait? Could I do that?!?

Mimo1985

#10 Post by Mimo1985 »

SingleJawMelb wrote:You teeth need to move and stabilise for around 6 months I think. Maybe your top teeth don't need that much movement?

Dentist can change the bite in a lot of ways. Not sure why you wouldn't just have fixed braces on both teeth. It's much easier for the dentist I would have thought and God wearing Invasalign sound alike a pain.
My ortho has actually expressed to me that Invisilign is a lot easier for them to work with because people dont need to come in as much, as well as the labor involved in Invisilign can usually be a lot less for the ortho and for the patient in general. Im sure there are exceptions to this rule - but thats what she has expressed to me.
Start Date: May 10 2016
Removal Date: Dec 10 2016
Anterior Crossbite
Anterior Openbite 2mm

Rebeccasmells

#11 Post by Rebeccasmells »

Mimo1985 wrote:
SingleJawMelb wrote:You teeth need to move and stabilise for around 6 months I think. Maybe your top teeth don't need that much movement?

My ortho has actually expressed to me that Invisilign is a lot easier for them to work with because people dont need to come in as much, as well as the labor involved in Invisilign can usually be a lot less for the ortho and for the patient in general. Im sure there are exceptions to this rule - but thats what she has expressed to me.
Yeah basically any dentist can give Invisalign and all the moulds and work is done in America.

Sounds like you are going to a normal/general dentist who will also make money from your wisdom tooth extraction. An ortho would be be telling you mid treatment to get teeth pulled.

Fixed braces 1) give the ortho full control of patients tooth movement 2) allows the ortho to see how the teeth are progressing at each visit 3) you have an extra 3 years of training as well as experience (they don't do General dentist work) to know what will work for you 4) the teeth are rotated in invaslign, traditional braces they are moved fully 5) unlikely your ortho will be unable to move teeth, invaslign promises the world and no refund if they don't deliver 6) can't remove fixed braces, therefore it's 100% compliance (apart from elastics)

So again, tell me why your dentist wouldn't give you Invasalign other than it suits his back pocket?