Newbie here!

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AshleyRoosa

Newbie here!

#1 Post by AshleyRoosa »

I'm going to start saying how much I hate my teeth.
I have always had pretty crowded teeth as a child, sadly to admit...
Quick little bio- Ashley, Michigan, I am 28yo, 2 kids (Alainah- 8yo & Jonah- 2yo), Jeff- Husband. Beyond excited to fix my teeth!

So my parents didn't exactly take my sister or I to the dentist often.
I never even had my teeth professionally cleaned until May of 2015.

I know. I know. :-+

Here is a little bit of background/history of my few dentist experiences...I did go to the dentist a 2 times as a kid, one was for x-rays, and one time was for a filling. I was just 11 years old and after a few months it fell out. It was on tooth number 21. Of course no one said anything to me about not growing in a adult tooth in that spot. I just asked my Mom about this and she said they never said anything to her about it either.-I might call that office and see if they have my x-rays from 17 years ago. How funny would that be.(Fun Fact: I also don't even have wisdom teeth either)

I went to the dentist once while I was in the US Army and got 2 metal fillings when I was 18. (2005)-I since recently had them drilled out and white fillings put in.

So for basically 15 more years since the filling fell out, that baby tooth was down to basically nothing and I had no choice but to get it pulled.
So I have a big space where that child molar was and not the small bicuspid.
So with all that neglect I had a quite a few cavities (5) and I FINALLY got them all filled within the last 8 months or so.

Immediately after I got my baby tooth pulled (2013), I was really researching to get an implant where tooth 21 is missing. I priced it out 4 times with different dentists and they all said the same thing- Great bone, but you should consider braces so the gap can become smaller and you can get a smaller tooth. Plus take care of all that crowding.

So over the next few years I talked with my husband about it and what it would cost (since no insurance really covers adult braces) and we finally decided to get all of our teeth fixed together. I am proud to say my teeth (and My Husbands) are now finally all cavity free, we decided-I should go for it.

I have so many feelings about this because I have always wanted braces. I remember actually asking my parents if I could get them and they always told
me it was just too expensive.
I even remember going to a few appointments with a friend who had braces and wished so hard that was me. So now my time has finally come!

April 18th was my first appointment.
I went in expecting to do have them use the 3D Scanner and have it all done really easy but thats not what happened. I even said I don't want to do this now and I want to leave. Right after that my dentist came in and talked to me about everything and assured me doing the molds were just as good-if not even better than the 3D Scanner. So I was already getting anxiety about it because I started feeling like I didn't do enough research, I didn't ask enough questions before and I just jumped into this blindly. I also started feeling nervous about my dentist because sometimes he can be in a silent mood and not say anything or be really friendly. Which I don't like when people are like that who I am giving thousands of dollars too or trusting them with something that is essentially irreplaceable to me. So after a little bit more of explaining he was super nice and I think he understood that I need assurance that everything will be just fine. So with all the research I have been doing and reading I seen that a lot of people go back in to check out the ClinCheck to see what the plan is and to sign off on it with their dentist. Well, he isn't having me do that so I am a bit nervous about it. I should have taken pictures of his notes. I will now. We discussed all my problems and everything that needs to be fixed because we are heading towards my ultimate goal: Straight teeth, with implant in tooth 21.

I haven't seen any other reviews or blogs with anyone else missing a random tooth. Only extra teeth. Lucky!

I am really curious about cleaning them as I read 10 different ways to do it.
Should I order stuff off amazon and be prepared? Who knows?

Forgot to add, my appointment is set for May 21st- but I will be calling sooner to see if they come before.

kbracedm

Re: Newbie here!

#2 Post by kbracedm »

Hey! I'm an adult getting Invisalign and your experience is similar to mine. I def moved a little too fast without asking enough questions, but I've wanted braces for a while now, and everything fell into place with my insurance that would cover a portion of it. I'm transitioning out of the job is covering it, so I didn't have a lot of time in the event I was let go for any reason.

How long did they say your treatment time would be?

AshleyRoosa

#3 Post by AshleyRoosa »

15-18 months. I'm still waiting on my clincheck. I am starting to get a little freaked out because I've been finding others who have a missing tooth- waiting for an implant and Invisalign made a spot for a tooth on the aligners and people have to shove wax in it or something. I don't want that. I'm really worried and I'm calling on Monday to find out if they approved everything or still haven't got that.
This wait is driving me freaking nuts.

kbracedm

#4 Post by kbracedm »

[quote="AshleyRoosa"]15-18 months. I'm still waiting on my clincheck. I am starting to get a little freaked out because I've been finding others who have a missing tooth- waiting for an implant and Invisalign made a spot for a tooth on the aligners and people have to shove wax in it or something. I don't want that. I'm really worried and I'm calling on Monday to find out if they approved everything or still haven't got that.
This wait is driving me freaking nuts.[/quote]

The waiting is the hardest part! I'm finally getting mine after 9 weeks! The waiting + reading the good and the bad online only adds to the anxiety of waiting.