Deep bite correction: four months in

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lilyflower

Deep bite correction: four months in

#1 Post by lilyflower »

So since I'm one of the few here that's doing Invisalign for both lower crowding and a deep bite I'd give some info so far.

1) yes, it is working on my bite. I have virtual bite ramps which are slightly annoying but not sharp or painful and I've pretty much gotten used to.

2) Arch development does take time, lots of time and can be a little frustrating - I know the expansion is working though when I compare the width of my current set of aligners and my first set. Also, I developed room to floss in my very tightly crowded lower anterior with the first tray or two so that's a huge relief.

3) you eventually get the routine down pat. Removing aligners, brushing, reinserting. The lisp does go away and the feeling of plastic feels normal after a while

4) it's only the first two days that really hurt (or the first two days after attachments). I haven't had anything I'd classify as pain after that first set. Also take an OTC painkiller the day you change sets

5) Even with 21 attachments it's still very discreet and no one has really noticed unless they've actually seen me remove aligners or I told them.

6) Sharp edges can be handled by either a nail file or ground down by your ortho. Had an edge on the first lower aligner that really offended my lower lip had it ground down and the next few trays smoothed and haven't had to do anything since.

7) Straws are your friend, you can get away with drinking a lot of things through a straw with aligners in (nothing hot of course) just make sure to brush after. Also iced coffee through a straw causes really minimal discoloration even at the end of two weeks.

8) Be careful chewing when aligners are out. Yes, you can still eat whatever you want, but I've had a few points where I came close to biting my cheek because of how my bite was changing. Also, you might bite off an attachment as things change.

Otherwise, I've had minimal issues and discomfort. You can read more about it in my story in my signature along with progress pics
The problems:
Lower crowding, a slightly rotated upper canine and a deep bite

Invisalign G5 started Oct 12, 2015
Attachments: 21
Total number of trays: 28 upper, 38 lower
Estimated treatment time: 18 months
Follow my progress http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=49130