First Day in Invisalign - A Few Questions

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lala082008

First Day in Invisalign - A Few Questions

#1 Post by Lala082008 »

I just got my Invisalign today! I'm so excited to finally have them on!! My first consult was last August so it seems like it's taken forever to get them. I have a few questions I was hoping others could help answer:

- The main issue I've noticed so far is that saliva seems to collect under the aligners, particularly the top one. Even if I totally rinse and dry it out and put it on, this still happens, and it makes the aligner a lot more noticeable because there's little bubbles underneath. Does anyone else have this problem or have any tips for avoiding it?

- I've noticed that some people talking about using chewies, which I take it help the aligners fit tighter. My ortho didn't mention these or give me any. Is this something you would recommend that I pick up? I do feel like when I look at my aligners they could fit a bit tighter.

- I haven't noticed any lisp yet but I don't get my first attachments until next month. Did anyone notice more trouble talking after getting attachments?

Thanks!!

arciedee

Re: First Day in Invisalign - A Few Questions

#2 Post by arciedee »

I think your first two questions go together. You will have saliva bubbles under your aligners and there's really nothing you can do about it, but it is more prominent if there is a sizeable gap between the aligner and your teeth. Some of the gap is related to the fact that your teeth have to move to fit the shape of the aligner, so as you go along in the two weeks (or whatever your prescribed time is) in each aligner the gap will decrease. That being said, chewies are great for improving the fit of the aligners and having them sit more snugly on the teeth, especially if you happen to have power ridges on the incisors -- for some reason they cause the tray to want to slip down a bit. I'd call the orthodontist and ask about it. Do keep in mind, though, that there will always be a tiny gap between the front teeth and the tray and it's supposed to be that way, so don't obsess TOO much!

As for lisping and attachments, I didn't notice any difference before and after, so you should be fine! :D

lilyflower

#3 Post by lilyflower »

arciedee wrote:I think your first two questions go together. You will have saliva bubbles under your aligners and there's really nothing you can do about it, but it is more prominent if there is a sizeable gap between the aligner and your teeth. Some of the gap is related to the fact that your teeth have to move to fit the shape of the aligner, so as you go along in the two weeks (or whatever your prescribed time is) in each aligner the gap will decrease. That being said, chewies are great for improving the fit of the aligners and having them sit more snugly on the teeth, especially if you happen to have power ridges on the incisors -- for some reason they cause the tray to want to slip down a bit. I'd call the orthodontist and ask about it. Do keep in mind, though, that there will always be a tiny gap between the front teeth and the tray and it's supposed to be that way, so don't obsess TOO much!

As for lisping and attachments, I didn't notice any difference before and after, so you should be fine! :D
I second everything here.

I'd also go on to say that I've found in my experience that virtual bite ramps cause more of a lisp than an aligner without one as it's an extra piece of plastic in the way. I still have them (started with 4, down to 3 and based on the sets i have they're not going anywhere yet.) and they got in the way a little at the beginning and then sometimes with a new tray (as they can change position) but I've adjusted.

With power ridges, you definitely need to use chewies, at least the first few days of each new set the aligner just won't seat properly. This is something I've discovered on every set. Also, if you don't yet have attachments and have power ridges - you might really feel like your aligner is falling out at the end of two weeks when it gets looser.
The problems:
Lower crowding, a slightly rotated upper canine and a deep bite

Invisalign G5 started Oct 12, 2015
Attachments: 21
Total number of trays: 28 upper, 38 lower
Estimated treatment time: 18 months
Follow my progress http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=49130

nancy456zz

#4 Post by nancy456zz »

I think it's better to ask your ortho about the chewies. The alignments won't seat properly if there is no attachments. Just ask your doubts with your dentist ASAP.

americanabroad

#5 Post by americanabroad »

No problems with lisping once I got attachments - took a little while to figure out how to take them off quickly, but that was the only trouble I had.