Invisalign on top, brackets on bottom--is this possible?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Vaultwit

Invisalign on top, brackets on bottom--is this possible?

#1 Post by Vaultwit »

Is there anyone out there who has Invisalign on their top teeth, and bracket type braces (traditional, ceramic, Damon, etc.) on their bottom teeth?

I am trying to find out if this is a combination that orthodontists are allowed to do (assuming the top teeth are suitable for Invisalign, of course). If so, what were your experiences with the cost of this combination treatment?

My bottom teeth are decently crowded and somewhat overlapping, so I would actually prefer bracket braces to ensure proper fixing the first time around instead of potential Invisalign failure.

However, my top teeth are mostly straight with just the front two teeth slightly crooked. I am confident that my top teeth would be suitable for Invisalign. Primarily, I really need a discreet method for my top teeth for personal and esthetic reasons. I can live with brackets on my bottom teeth (and prefer it, as explained above) because they are not as visible.

Also to note, I believe my bite is fine for the most part, with very little (if any) overbite.

arciedee

Re: Invisalign on top, brackets on bottom--is this possible?

#2 Post by arciedee »

While I have heard of people only getting Invisalign on one arch (rarely), I've not heard of people using different methods in different arches simultaneously. Doesn't mean it's not done, I just don't know of anyone doing it. I think you could run into issues because traditional braces and Invisalign work to achieve the same goal, they work in different ways.

You mentioned being concerned that Invisalign wouldn't work on the bottom. Honestly, you really need an orthodontist to assess that. People seem to have this idea that Invisalign is only for very basic corrections, but the product has been updated and revised a lot over the years and works for a broader cross-section of the population than it once did. I have pretty significant crowding on the top (overlapped teeth) and moderate crowding on the bottom, have needed some teeth rotated, and am nearing the halfway mark of my treatment with everything tracking on target.

I will say, though, that if you are interested in Invisalign, seek out a board-certified orthodontist (lots of general dentists offer it, but they do not have the training to really assess proper tooth alignment) and then find one who has a lot of experience with Invisalign. You can do a search on the Invisalign website and look for the "Elite" designation. These orthos seem most aware of the true scope and limitations of the product and can give you the straight scoop on whether it's something that might work for you or if you're better off using traditional braces. And they can tell you if a "mixed method" is truly possible.

h322404

#3 Post by h322404 »

Hi!

I have nearly the same issues you have, and I just recently got metal brackets at the bottom and Invisalign up top. I went to two orthodontists and a cosmetic dentist before making my decision. Both orthodontists told me my bottom teeth would do better with brackets. I have one tooth near the back that grew in really late and therefore is slightly rotated and leaning far inwards. As such, there is a "gap" that my front teeth lean towards (all leaning towards the right). One orthodontist explained that Invisalign may not straighten my bottom teeth with predictable/reliable results. The cosmetic dentist said Invisalign could be possible, but I would have to skip over that one crooked tooth, or I could simply pull out the tooth. He also offered to do 6-Months-Smiles, but I read that only fixes the teeth that are visible. Both orthodontists recommended I use brackets to correct everything at the bottom, and I could keep the tooth and its functionality.

My top two front teeth slightly overlap because I failed to wear my retainers after my first round of braces as a teenager. Everything else is pretty straight. I knew that because of my profession, I definitely wanted Invisalign up top.

Vanity initially got the better of me, and I decided to go with the cosmetic dentist, but after doing some reading and thinking about it, I canceled my appointment and went with an orthodontist instead. I couldn't be happier. I got my brackets put in in mid-May, and after just one month, I can notice a HUGE difference already. Unfortunately, I'm currently on track for at least a year of these brackets, but I know it will be worth it. My orthodontist would not use clear/ceramic brackets at the bottom because he didn't want them to rub against the enamel of my top teeth.

As for my top teeth, I just got my first aligners this past Monday. I have a total of 18 aligners (about 8 months), which seems like a lot for such a little problem, but the aligners are barely noticeable at all that I don't mind.

Price-wise, doing a mix of Invisalign and brackets is more expensive than choosing just one or the other. This is because Invisalign costs almost the same whether you do one arch or both arches.

Hope this helps!!

DrJasonKTam

#4 Post by DrJasonKTam »

The above post is very good. Don't expect the combo of aligners and brackets to cost the same as Invisalign only. Lab cases are the same regardless of the number of arches.

In addition, it is more difficult for the doctor to correct your bite and coordinate the arches together using the combination. The ability of your doctor to correct your malocclusion using Invisalign only will depend on his/her experience. There are certainly treatments that would be better treated with braces, but there are many that can also be treated with Invisalign, despite patients being told it will not work.

Good luck!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

braceface99

#5 Post by braceface99 »

I have braces on the bottom and just started aligners on the top. I am doing the RWB Red, White and Blue aligner system which is just 3 trays. There is also another
system called Simply5 which is 5 trays for people who don't need the full Invisalign expensive system. I paid $3000 for the bottom braces and
$700 for the top aligner system. I'm in my 50's and I didn't want braces on top for such a minor correction.