Invisalign attachments? Overall experience?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Nozzelnut

Invisalign attachments? Overall experience?

#1 Post by Nozzelnut »

Did your orthodontist tell you how many would be cemented on your teeth and where before starting?

Were you happy with the experience overall?

Just trying to gather as much information to make an informed decision on which way I go for treatment.

arciedee

Re: Invisalign attachments? Overall experience?

#2 Post by arciedee »

I did not know how many attachments I'd end up with beforehand, but I'm not sure whether the ortho can give you an exact number before they've sent off the scans/impressions to Invisalign and finalized the treatment plan. At that point you're pretty much already committed.

I know from experience that the idea of attachments is scary and we all get obsessed with the number. When I saw exactly how many I was getting I'll admit to panicking and initially wishing I had gotten traditional braces. I have 18 right now... more to come before I'm done.

But now that they're on I can tell you honestly that they're not a big deal. The only ones that are noticeable are the ones on my canines, and even those aren't that obvious unless you're staring at my mouth from a very close distance. While I stare at people's teeth because I am an obsessed orthodontic patient, the general person doesn't.

My advice is to not get hung up on the number. For one thing it's rare for people to have as many as I do (at least from what I've seen). But even if you do, they're so small and they blend in so well that they're not an issue at all.

Nozzelnut

#3 Post by Nozzelnut »

Thank you.

I've seen a couple pics of folks with the attachments on the front teeth; and I'm not sure if I'd want to got that route if they were necessary in my case.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

arciedee

#4 Post by arciedee »

The remaining attachments I'm scheduled to get will be on my front teeth. I'd be disappointed, except that I know what they're designed to do and I'm really excited for the changes that are going to come with them, so it will make it worth it for me. I'm very happy with my decision to go with Invisalign, even if I will have a mouth full of 26 attachments before I'm done, but it is a very personal choice. Good luck in your decision.

dimichals

#5 Post by dimichals »

They suck. I filed the biggest ones down with a nail file. Why can't they be smoothed out by the dentist after applying them? I'm getting the impression they are a recent addition to the process. And why are they attached to my straight teeth (in front), and not on my crooked teeth on the bottom? Makes no sense to me. I was surprised he didn't attach new ones when I told what I did.

packersfan

#6 Post by packersfan »

I know someone with attachments on the center of their front teeth and she says people always look at her funny trying to determine if she has braces or not...if an orthodontist could say if visible attachments were needed, I would probably end up going with metal so I could dip.

billyjoebob

#7 Post by billyjoebob »

I just wrapped up a year and a half of invisalign, and am mostly happy with the final outcome.

It was far easier than braces (which I wore for years when I was a kid). Regarding the attachments, I had no idea what I was in for. My Ortho said that I "may" need a few "anchors" to help move the teeth, but he wouldn't know until the final plan came back from invisalign. Imagine my surprise when I showed up for the initial install, and had 11 attachments :roll:

I would do it again in a heartbeat. My only advise to someone considering it would be to go through the clincheck with your Ortho, and make sure there are no surprises.

CatLadyAlice

#8 Post by CatLadyAlice »

I saw my Clincheck before my dentist accepted it, so was aware of how many attachments I'd have and where. Don't worry too much about the number, they're quite discreet - but I would reconsider having attachments on the front teeth as they can be more visible.

montygrace

#9 Post by montygrace »

Yes, I saw my clincheck a few months prior to actually going in to get the attachments put on and the aligners, so I was aware of them. I'd also done research online and expected to have to have them due to the difficulty of my teeth (overbite, overjet, cross bite, gaps)

I didn't know if I'd get them put on that very first day I got my first aligner tray, but I wasn't surprised when I did. They didn't tell me the exact number, but I didn't really care. It doesn't bother me at all having them there, EXCEPT on the first night (and still occasionally now a week later), I kept biting the side of my mouth (bottom left of my lip) when I ate my dinner because the skin / tissue kept getting caught between my teeth and the attachment somehow!

Otherwise, I got a little bit sore on the upper right side of my inner lip from rubbing when eating (when the aligners are on it's fine and not rough or sore), but that's about it. I find them still virtually invisible.

dreadpirateweasley

#10 Post by dreadpirateweasley »

I think I have something like 14 attachments, including one on my top front teeth. Since my ortho used the clear stuff, you really can't notice my attachment on the front tooth unless you stare for a minute or so. You can see the ones on my canine, but I think most people are just too polite to mention it.

I have two on one or two teeth, but that's because they were teeth that were hiding other teeth and needed extra anchoring.

Mike02110

#11 Post by Mike02110 »

I have had invisalign since March, and have 12 attachments. None on my front teeth, but I can agree with one of the earlier replies... they are very discreet. No one has ever noticed (or said anything about) my attachments.

Mike02110

#12 Post by Mike02110 »

I also reviewed my clincheck with my orthodontist before he submitted the order. I saw everything, including all movement, and any time that I would have IPR (shaving between teeth to make space).

xkiwitatty

#13 Post by xkiwitatty »

My attachments experiences was pretty good! I got 16 attachments with 2 attachments on the lower canines. Most likely will be adding more as treatment continues. Unfortunately my orthodontist didn't tell me how many attachments I will be getting before hand.

I was afraid of the acid wash since I just got my wisdoms removed...I was afraid it'll sting the extraction site but they just wash the teeth that will be having the attachments placed on. It was just really sour. I've heard others having to do that acid wash thing a few times because the resin didn't adhere to their teeth the first time but mine did the first time :)

The most annoying part was when my orthodontist was filling down the attachments with the filer. OMG that sound made me cringe and I could feel a little sensitivity in the front teeth. Luckily that was over quickly and I survived!

They are very unnoticeable when the aligners are off (except on my upper canines since they are protruding). The two on my front teeth are virtually invisible until I have my aligners on.

Good Luck!

lilyflower

#14 Post by lilyflower »

I have 21 and let me tell you, it's really not a big deal.

Where mine are: - one almost every bottom tooth except my 2nd molars. Top: Both canines (one has two because it's rotated) and pre-molars on both sides.

They're barely visible unless you look for them/know they're there. I will not be getting any more - all were put on at once. The PROCESS of putting on all 21 kind of sucked as a few didn't bond initially (and two later fell off in the first 24 hours) and I got to experience the loveliness of cheek retractors. Once that was over though - piece of cake.

Yes, mine are sharp but I can eat with no problem, it just makes me want to keep my aligners in as much as possible to cover them. I also have power ridges on my four upper incisors and four virtual bite ramps at the moment. The only thing that is SLIGHTLY annoying is the virtual bite ramps, not because they're sharp but because they affect my speech more than I think Invisalign would.

21 is obviously not the norm - but I have a LOT of lower crowding and a deep bite so I need the extra force to move and expand. There's no IPR planned for me.
The problems:
Lower crowding, a slightly rotated upper canine and a deep bite

Invisalign G5 started Oct 12, 2015
Attachments: 21
Total number of trays: 28 upper, 38 lower
Estimated treatment time: 18 months
Follow my progress http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=49130

Lorion11

#15 Post by Lorion11 »

Wow, going from 12 months to 5 months is such a fun surprise!