My First Day with Invasalign

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

menomomma

My First Day with Invasalign

#1 Post by menomomma »

I got my first set of trays today. I have 16 attachments, none on the very back teeth which makes the trays rather easy to remove. The only discomfort I have is when removing them and inserting them. I have worn either a removable or fixed appliance for my TMJ for the last 7 years so I am no stranger to having plastic in my mouth. The Invisalign trays are so much more comfortable and aesthetically better than any orthotic I ever had. I have no lisp whatsoever. I had metal braces as a child so I am very happy I did not have to do that again. My only complaint is the attachments really show as they are on all of my front teeth and look much bigger than what I saw online. These almost look more like clear brackets. With that said, I would rather have these than metal. I have 27 trays for the uppers and 26 for the lowers, with an estimated treatment time of 54 weeks. I hope all my days with Invisalign are as easy as today. Like others have said, I am quickly realizing how much snacking and coffee drinking I did now that I can't without serious consideration of the consequences- having to take my aligners out, brush and put them back in. I will need to be really hungry or really sleepy to go through that very often. I hope this helps my diet!

:jump: I found some mini pre-pasted waterless disposable toothbrushes online. They are little and fit nicely in my pocket or purse. They have a full size brush head and work really well. These will be great for brushing while at work or if I need to eat in the car and brush after.

sweetcynic

Re: My First Day with Invasalign

#2 Post by sweetcynic »

Congrats! I just switched to aligner #10 and have 32 to go. The time is flying by.

Tobilei

#3 Post by Tobilei »

Congratulations and welcome to the forum :)

menomomma

Re: My First Day with Invasalign-now done with day 4

#4 Post by menomomma »

Unfortunately, things have gone downhill since my first day post. I discovered three teeth that each have two attachments on them. So I have 19 attachments that I found so far. My teeth have gotten so tender that I am eating a very soft diet. I do think the trays are going back in easier but some times I have a heck of a time getting them out. Other times they pop right out. I don't get that. I did discover that I should not cut my fingernails so short. That does not help with removing the trays. So far no one has said anything. The only person who really has stared at my mouth is my chiropractor who knew I was getting the Invisalign. I find myself self conscious, being careful not to show too much tooth when I smile because I have huge attachments right in the middle of my front teeth. I'm hating not snacking but hating cutting back on my coffee even more. I'm wearing the Invisalign about 21 hours a day. I'm waiting for the tooth soreness to subside. I do take Advil but it does not help enough to permit me to chew things like meat.

Tobilei

#5 Post by Tobilei »

Unfortunately I think for some of us those tender teeth are just how it is. I'm 7 weeks in and still have trouble chewing steak most days. I kind of half chew it and gulp it down still sort of whole (not ideal for my digestion :? )

I can't help with tray removal as I don't have them, I'm sure someone else has some tips. From what I've read it gets easier with practice and as your teeth move and settle into the new trays.

Sorry about the coffee :( My liking to drink 2 cups a day was a big part of my decision to go with brackets rather than invisalign. Can you maybe fit the coffee in around meals somehow so you can brush afterwards still without them being out longer?

sweetcynic

#6 Post by sweetcynic »

My first aligner was the worst by far. One thing I would suggest is to change aligners after dinner/before bed, so you don't have to take it out for the first twelve hours. Hang in there!

maria82

#7 Post by maria82 »

Join the club :D