For everyone who has invisalign, is it really worth it?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tin Tooth

For everyone who has invisalign, is it really worth it?

#1 Post by Tin Tooth »

Hello everyone.
I have braces right now, taking them off for my wedding that is in June. I will be wearing braces for approx. 7 months, and will continue treatment after wedding with either invisalign or braces again. I am confused! I know ortho's love to sell invisalign because of the money maker but I want to know from people who have invisalign what they really think.

By the time 7 months comes, the ortho said my teeth will be relatively straight. They are fixing the major problems I have right now which is crowding with metal and ceramic braces.
SO my question to anyone who has invisalign, do you love your invisalign? Is the money worth it to you?

Gravecat

Re: For everyone who has invisalign, is it really worth it?

#2 Post by Gravecat »

Hello. I am new to this website and forum and very new to braces. I had mine put on 3 days ago. Oh, the pain right now....but that is another story. I wanted to address your question.

I saw a reputable dentist who wanted to put me in Invisalign. (b/t/w, I am a middle aged woman). For some odd reason, call it a "woman's intuition", I felt that Invisalign would not be sufficient for me. This "hunch" nagged at me and I did extensive research on the internet just for other viewpoints. She wanted to charge me $5,000.00 for Invisalign. That is a lot of money to be spent on something that may or may not work.

Meanwhile, I moved out of state and sought out a new dentist (always a harrowing experience to try someone new). I was very pleased with the dentist and her staff and office. I told her my story about the former dentist I saw and told her my misgivings. She recommended me to a very reputable ortho office.

The doctor I saw at this ortho office said he would never recommend me for Invisalign. Whew! My "female intuition" confirmed! I told him that my uneducated "hunch" said that I needed traditional braces. He told me that I was right. BOY AM I GLAD THAT I DID NOT SPEND $5,000.00 ON INVISALIGN! The ortho told me that I would not be a good candidate for Invisalign that if I had had them put on, the correction I needed would not be a permanent one. He said that he was very picky about what patients he put in Invisalign.

Now, the dentist I saw before I moved was someone I had just started seeing. I liked her, but, like you, felt that Invisalign is very "money-driven". I am always suspect of things that are so heavily "money driven". Hey, this is our teeth and health they are fooling with, not to mention the enormous amount of money they are expecting us to pay!

The dentist I used to see was a very "high end" dentist. She was involved in beauty pageants, she herself being a winner once. Knew Donald Trump, got married at his estate, and was Donald Trump's "cosmetic dentist of choice" for his beauty pageants.

Impressive I guess, depending on who you are. This dentist seemed very educated to me and told me of her constant efforts at keeping her dental education up. Beauty aside, she seemed to be quite a smart lady. However, I just couldn't shake her advice on Invisalign for me.

I'm so glad that I wasn't so "star struck" that I let her put me in Invisalign. That would have been a very expensive lesson for me, both in money and the overall change that needed to happen that wouldn't have happened had she put me in them.

My humble advice? Go with your gut, never stop questioning and researching on your own and seek out a second or even third opinion. I am so very glad I waited. I'm in traditional braces now and not enjoying it, but am grateful to be on the right course. I appreciated an honest second opinion putting me on that right course.

God bless you and give you wisdom as you seek to find the answer you need.

By the way, the name of the orthodontist practice I am seeing is Sondhi-Biggs in Indianapolis. I guess I am not allowed to post links here, so maybe look up their website and perhaps they have info that will help you in your decision making process. :-)

dojo

#3 Post by dojo »

No. I had Damon braces for 7 months for my 'laterals' (was a weird treatment,since I was a radio DJ back then and didn't want to lisp. So we moved the 'hard' stuff (molars) with Damon and had to finish with Invisalign (which was easy to remove, during my shows). Damon worked AMAZINGLY fast and nice, the plastic aligners were a different story. I had to pause my treatment because a lot of traveling occurred, but I'll probably resume it these months. I don't plan on wasting any more time with Invisalign anymore. I am not a radio DJ anymore and I really want to see FAST results :D
Orthodontics patient from 2007 to 2010.
Orthodontic Braces

sweetcynic

#4 Post by sweetcynic »

For me, so far, yes. I'm never worn conventional braces though so I don't have that basis for comparison. I did have a functional appliance when I was a little kid that didn't produce good results or even any noticeable improvement. My teeth were not noticeably less crowded after a year and half in that thing than at the beginning(I've confirmed this, both from memory and from looking at pictures and talking to my parents). Lots of discomfort and general gross hygiene, though at 5-6 years old my oral hygiene wasn't really good enough for orthodontia. Was recommended for braces a few years after that as a kid but didn't get them. I don't think I could have had good results without extractions even then, and extractions are part of my current treatment plan.

With the invisalign, on the other hand, my discomfort is minimal, hygiene is easier, and I'm noticing the points on my canine teeth for the first time in my life. Many other things are starting to show up, and I'm only 7 weeks in. My case is on the advanced side for invisalign, so I am using an Elite provider who has good reviews. I still have 38 trays to go, so this is for the long haul. Also, I'm pretty hypersensitive and braces would have been more expensive than invisalign(due to my nickel allergy), which also played into my decision to use invisalign.

wildcat03

#5 Post by wildcat03 »

Had conventional braces as a teen. Two straight years, and my orthodontist totally jacked up the end. I wasn't committed to the results, so wasn't very good about wearing my retainer and had some health issues that interfered as well.

Now I'm finishing up week 12 of Invisalign and see a huge difference (despite another 48 weeks to go...sigh). Totally worth it so far!

Lucascsula

#6 Post by Lucascsula »

[quote="wildcat03"]Had conventional braces as a teen. Two straight years, and my orthodontist totally jacked up the end. [/quote] Same with me. 17 years later, I can afford clear braces. Why not.