How many attachments before you wish you had normal braces

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bestofsmiles

Re: How many attachments before you wish you had normal braces

#16 Post by bestofsmiles »

My attachments aren't on yet, but I'm to have 15. I guess I'll have an answer when they are finally on.

kbracedm

#17 Post by kbracedm »

I don't have time them on my two front teeth, so that helps, but I do have 12. I would never do metal braces though. I think whether you have attachments or metal you are hyper conscious of your mouth. I always refer to "my braces" instead of Invisalign bc it's shorter and people can. Ever tell I'm wearing them.

beachit13

#18 Post by beachit13 »

My ortho wanted to put attachments on my teeth and I said "NO!" So he went back and changed my treatment plan. I made it through my whole treatment without attachments and am very happy with my results. If your ortho tries to use attachments, ask if it can be avoided. It may take longer to get through treatment, but for me it was worth it because the attachments make you look like you have braces.

Smileop

#19 Post by Smileop »

I have 21 attachments including my front teeth and was torn between invisalign and ceramic braces and now having the amount and location of them I kinda wish I did the ceramic and saved a few extra bucks and taken the shorter treatment time

DrJasonKTam

#20 Post by DrJasonKTam »

The truth is that experienced doctors will only place attachments on where they are needed. Remember, the treatment plan is supposed to be done by your doctor, and not Invisalign. Thinking about it from a realistic standpoint, your doctor will want to use less material and have less work with fewer attachments for your treatment also.

With very few exceptions, we don't let people in our office dictate whether we can use attachments where we need them, because if they are planned, there is a reason for them.

No matter how many attachments, Invisalign is still going to be more comfortable than braces, more aesthetic, and in some situations a better treatment modality to get results!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

Mimo1985

#21 Post by Mimo1985 »

I started 9 months ago with Innovation C self ligating brackets (they are sort of clear but not nearly as much as Damon Clear). I am going to be brutally honest and say I really didnt want them. I wished all of the time I could have opted for Invisilign but my teeth were too crowded for them.

Now my ortho is switching me to Invisilign (its the same cost as my ligating brackets - so I didnt have to pay much more besides lab fee) and I am already a lot happier with the decision, even if I have the attachments on every tooth. But the grass is always greener!
Start Date: May 10 2016
Removal Date: Dec 10 2016
Anterior Crossbite
Anterior Openbite 2mm

invizzlerizzle

#22 Post by invizzlerizzle »

I wonder why these attachments aren't done lingually.... :?: :?:

tbn12345

#23 Post by tbn12345 »

they will not give the same movement if they where put on the back side of the teeth and will come off more often when you chew. Sad, but its true

Beaujolais

#24 Post by Beaujolais »

I have 8 attachments (my dentist calls them buttons, but after looking at the video, I think I have attachments). They are uncomfortable when I chew and have made the inside of my mouth sore. They are also quite noticeable on the front teeth. I would have preferred full disclosure in the sales pitch. I should have been given information, such as,"You will likely have tooth-colored bumps on your teeth, perhaps on the front teeth." I was completely blindsided by a lot of the treatment details. Wish I'd known about this forum earlier.

18attachments

#25 Post by 18attachments »

18 fairly prominent attachments here, including multiple attachments on individual teeth. It’s definitely less noticeable than metal braces, but still fairly obvious. You cant really see them in pictures though.

Longwaytogo

#26 Post by Longwaytogo »

I just got Invisalign yesterday. I have no extremely crooked teeth. If it were up to me I wouldn't have gotten braces at all--my teeth are not a thing all noticeably crooked and I could give a crud if anyone cared.
I was given 22 attachments out of 28 teeth. Does anyone else think this is excessive? Even the practictioner applying them thought it was excessive and checked 3 times to see why.
Evidently my ortho thought I would constantly take them off, even though I affirmed 100s of times I would, I've worn every appliance I've had in my mouth.
She wanted to make sure they were hard to take off to discourage me from doing so...does this sound like a normal thing to do?

dyna

#27 Post by dyna »

I'm thinking about getting Invisalign, but those attachments really sound as a big disadvantage for this type of braces. Invisalign without attachments will not work at all? Or just slower?

Speck

#28 Post by Speck »

I consulted an orthodontist to remedy crowding, both upper and lower. The doc also will treat malocclusion and alignment issues. Twenty-one attachments have been placed and the ones on upper teeth are conspicuous to such a degree that I’m a bit self-conscious. The ortho also fixed metal anchors to accommodate elastics. Two areas on the lower lip are irritated and angry from eating. If I’m not careful while eating, one elastics anchor will impinge upon my cheek and cause injury. Oddly enough, I’m much more comfortable with the trays in place. I reckon it’ll all be worth it at the finish of treatment. Only 605 days to go, but who’s counting? :lol:

dyna

#29 Post by dyna »

[quote=Speck post_id=503030 time=1530412264 user_id=32114]
I consulted an orthodontist to remedy crowding, both upper and lower. The doc also will treat malocclusion and alignment issues. Twenty-one attachments have been placed and the ones on upper teeth are conspicuous to such a degree that I’m a bit self-conscious. The ortho also fixed metal anchors to accommodate elastics. Two areas on the lower lip are irritated and angry from eating. If I’m not careful while eating, one elastics anchor will impinge upon my cheek and cause injury. Oddly enough, I’m much more comfortable with the trays in place. I reckon it’ll all be worth it at the finish of treatment. Only 605 days to go, but who’s counting? :lol:
[/quote]

You got elastics with Invisalign? Didnt know that is possible.

Speck

#30 Post by Speck »

[quote=dyna post_id=503050 time=1530508346 user_id=32103]You got elastics with Invisalign? Didnt know that is possible.
[/quote]

I suspect it’s not all that uncommon.

Should you decide to opt for Invisalign treatment be prepared for measures of both inconvenience and discomfort. The biggest bummers are having to pull the mouth-rig (aligners and elastics) for meals, having to floss and brush after each meal, and reinstalling the rig. I’m one week into it and I’ll be darned glad to be through it.