Invisalign (or Essix retainer) melting in the heatwave?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

Invisalign (or Essix retainer) melting in the heatwave?

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

I came across this post to on the web a few days ago. It seems incredible that a plastic retainer would melt from the ambient heat in a room, during the recent heatwave. Have any of you ever experienced anything like this? -Lynn

hello! so i got my braces off a little more than a year ago, and I got the invasilign retainer. Recently, we got a heat wave, where it was above 90 for a while. The other days it was over 90, my retainer was fine. But today, i go to grab it, and the entire bottom half is in a pile of melted plastic, and the top was half melted and broken in half. How much do you think it will cost to replace! My mom and I are ticked because we didnt even lose it or anything it melted on its own! i know this is probably a no, but will insurance cover to fix it? i dont wanna pay $500 for a new retainer just because mine melted :/
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

hotsteve

Re: Invisalign (or Essix retainer) melting in the heatwave?

#2 Post by hotsteve »

wow! just got back from a weeks holiday where it was over 40c (104f) every day and mine were fine!

I think usually plastic like this do generally carry warnings about extreme temperatures though, but unless they're in direct, amplified sunlight I can't see that happening...