Hello! I have no pain with 1st trays , is this normal?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jm2day

Hello! I have no pain with 1st trays , is this normal?

#1 Post by jm2day »

Hi there,

I'm new here and I thought I'd say Hello and ask if it is common to have no pain at all with the first trays? It feels snug, but no pain and it's been well over 32 hours. I'm thrilled about this, but it makes me wonder if the tray has no real change in it since it is the first one, or if my teeth are just abnormally easy to move since I've had a little bone loss?
Next wednesday I will be getting my aligner attachments glued on so I'm thinking I may notice the difference then.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

annelou

Re: Hello! I have no pain with 1st trays , is this normal?

#2 Post by annelou »

I'd guess things will feel a little different with your attachments - they really keep things tight. But I would describe the feeling as snug or uncomfortable at times. It has rarely been "painful." I've had trays for six months. When I've had a tray or two with a rough edge that rubs that's been painful - but I use an emery board to smooth the edges. Everyone has a different level of pain tolerance too. Good luck!

turbocycle

#3 Post by turbocycle »

When I got alignment number 2, it felt tighter than the first one. I also didn't get my attachments until a few days after the first aligner.

I also experienced mild headaches when starting each new aligner.

Robin8

#4 Post by Robin8 »

jm2day wrote:... it is common to have no pain at all with the first trays? ...
Yes it’s common. Some orthos give patients one or two sets of trays at the beginning to “warm up” … i.e. little or no tooth movements.

You’re not supposed to have any pain during treatment. I've been in treatment for 2 years now and I’ve never experienced any pain. There is usually a little bit of discomfort at the beginning of each new set for a day or 2 due to the tightness. If you have any pain later on, make sure you notify your doctor asap.

jm2day

#5 Post by jm2day »

Thanks everyone for the great replies! I got my attachments and you were correct, it is definitely more tight, but not uncomfortable, just noticeable. I'm aware of them if I'm not doing anything, but if I'm busy I don't notice them. Yay! I did have to file down a sharp edge on the lower tray, but other than that I'm good. I was given most of my aligners at my last appointment :-* so it is really nice to be able to look at what my teeth will look like later on. I can't wait! :-*