Invisalign retainers - essix, bonded or wire?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

InviSmile

Invisalign retainers - essix, bonded or wire?

#1 Post by InviSmile »

Hi all!

I'm nearing the end of my treatment (5 trays L, 2 trays U left) and am starting to get curious about the retainer stage.
Anyone out there in the retainer phase of their treatment? Just wondering, did your ortho/dentist give you a choice as to what retainer you'd be using or is the essix (clear retainer) pretty standard for Invisalign patients?

Curious as to whether I'll have a say in what I get to wear.

Thanks!

lilone

Re: Invisalign retainers - essix, bonded or wire?

#2 Post by lilone »

Hi there! I think often times people who have Invisalign go for Vivera retainers, which are the brand offered by Invisalign. It offers a subscription of 4 retainers over time, which are taken (I believe) from the last stage of your clin check. I think they are very similar to Invisalign trays but I remember someone saying they seem a little thicker or sturdier.

Good luck making a decision. Must feel good to be so close to the end!

hotsteve

#3 Post by hotsteve »

Yeah my treatment includes first 3 sets of Viveras (basically invisalign branded essix), so I will go with them. But my preference (for the first year at least) would be viveras AND a bonded retainer. I may suggest this to my ortho and see what he says.

I am also very curious about which is best - latest research suggests you should change Viveras (and presumably then, Essix) retainers every 3-6 months. At the very least, every year. I can see retention is going to be the most expensive part of treatment over the course of a lifetime!

Some might say changing that regularly is unnecessary, but logically any retainer is going to warp over time, particularly plastic. And leaving it too late will cause relapse... so which is worse? Over-cautiousnes or a relapse? Bonded and hawley retainers also seem no better, with a lot of anecdotal stories about how these have mis-shaped over time or come lose from the teeth.

What grates me is how retainers have been used for decades, and yet there is still no retainer that has been proven full-proof over the course of a lifetime! Technology eh.

DrJasonKTam

#4 Post by DrJasonKTam »

My personal experience is that Vivera retainers are good for at least a year each and this is what we have experienced with our patients also. Yes there will be some change in the shape, but the key is to make sure the next set will still fit. This can be done by periodically checking to make sure it fits and then putting it back into the package. The new retainer will definitely be a little bit tight for the first few days, but will gradually fit more loosely in time.

The technology is not the issue here. The issue is the biology and that forces are still going to act on the teeth, causing possible shifting of the teeth if nothing is holding it. Also, consider that the cost of lifetime retention is going to be small in comparison to needing to pay for full treatment again if you have relapse, and also much less frustrating and impactful on your lifestyle.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

MeMeMe321

#5 Post by MeMeMe321 »

Anybody know how the permanent retainers work? as my dentist has said that will be the best option for me at the end of my treatment?

InviSmile

#6 Post by InviSmile »

Thanks so much for the replies. Much appreciated! From your responses, it looks like I'll be getting the Vivera retainer.

hotsteve - I like your idea about the bonded wire. I'll have to discuss with my ortho as well.