Poll: Did You Have An Allergic Reaction to Invisalign?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Did You Have An Allergic Reaction to Invisalign?

Yes, Sore Throat
16%
Yes, Cough
9%
Yes, Fatigue
10%
Yes, Bronchial problems
7%
Yes, Body Pain or Swelling
9%
Yes, Other (please post details)
13%
NO reaction to Invisalign -- all is/was fine
37%

Total votes: 104

ShrinkerLD

Re: Poll: Did You Have An Allergic Reaction to Invisalign?

#31 Post by ShrinkerLD »

I feel lucky that I haven't had any allergies so far. I do take antihistamine daily for other allergies, so maybe that protects me.

Patterned919

#32 Post by Patterned919 »

I didn't know this was so common. I'll update if I end up having any reactions but good to know that it's a possibility.

beachit13

#33 Post by beachit13 »

I had no allergic reaction and would recommend Invisalign! It was a bit pricey but overall I found the experience to be much better than braces (which I had in middle school, I'll never not wear my retainers again!).

meizhatian

#34 Post by meizhatian »

Now that I recall I had a sore throat around the time I got my first tray...not sure if it was coincidence or related to the aligners... hope it never happen again.

Lola73

#35 Post by Lola73 »

Yes, I believe that I have had a bad reaction. I developed a eye condition called Uveitus. It is when cells in the uvea of your eye swell. This can cause blurred vision, etc and can even lead to blindness if not treated quickly. I have never been diagnosis with this before. I started using Invisalign in August and within one week the whites of my eyes went severely red. The condition of redness would fluctuate. My family doctor thought I had pink eye but after 3 weeks of various treatments my eyes did not improve. I finally went to see an optometrist who was able to diagnose my condition. I stopped wearing the Invisalign and with treatment my eyes recovered. I replaced the Invisalign one week ago and within one week (just like last time) my eyes became irritated. I managed to get to the optometrist and he said the Uveitus has returned. This concerns me and I have therefore taken out the Invisalign tray. My eyes are much to precious to jeopardize and there seems to be a correlation.

Lola73

#36 Post by Lola73 »

I should add that my optometrist does not think there's a connection but he really doesn't know and wanted to google it just like I'm doing. Thanks to everyone who has added their experiences with Invisalign. I too have had a sore throat, slight cough and have had the feeling at times where I can't breath.

TMVStudio

#37 Post by TMVStudio »

Yes - Sore Throat, nausea and headaches.

About 2 days into my first set of aligners I experienced the above symptoms. Headache and nausea went away but they were bad enough for me to call off work for 2 days. Then the sore throat got even worse. I treated it as best I could - I was drinking as much cold water as possible, drank tea with honey and took honey straight when the aligners were off, and did salt water gargles - all the while sticking to the 22 hour/day compliance for wearing them. 3 days short of the 2 week mark my throat was burning so much I couldn't take it anymore and I removed the aligners completely. It is now close to 20 hours later and my throat is 90% recovered. I feel so much better. I know that these aligners were causing the sore throat problem. I tried taking Benadryl for 2 days before I gave up because I had googled "Invisalign sore throat" and saw how many people had allergies to it -- but it only helped marginally. That isn't a long term solution for me anyway, as I am already on Zyrtec every day.

It is Sunday evening now. I haven't been able to inform my orthodontist of any of this yet but will call them tomorrow morning. Honestly I feel like just throwing in the towel. There is no way that I will be able to put up with a sore throat for a whole year... I would rather just cut my losses. :(

Maury2435

#38 Post by Maury2435 »

Not so far. What are treatment modalities? :?:

Letslivelife

#39 Post by Letslivelife »

[quote="TMVStudio"]Yes - Sore Throat, nausea and headaches.

About 2 days into my first set of aligners I experienced the above symptoms. Headache and nausea went away but they were bad enough for me to call off work for 2 days. Then the sore throat got even worse. I treated it as best I could - I was drinking as much cold water as possible, drank tea with honey and took honey straight when the aligners were off, and did salt water gargles - all the while sticking to the 22 hour/day compliance for wearing them. 3 days short of the 2 week mark my throat was burning so much I couldn't take it anymore and I removed the aligners completely. It is now close to 20 hours later and my throat is 90% recovered. I feel so much better. I know that these aligners were causing the sore throat problem. I tried taking Benadryl for 2 days before I gave up because I had googled "Invisalign sore throat" and saw how many people had allergies to it -- but it only helped marginally. That isn't a long term solution for me anyway, as I am already on Zyrtec every day.

It is Sunday evening now. I haven't been able to inform my orthodontist of any of this yet but will call them tomorrow morning. Honestly I feel like just throwing in the towel. There is no way that I will be able to put up with a sore throat for a whole year... I would rather just cut my losses. :([/quote]

Did you have any troubles with your retainer afterwards??

BlondeCam

#40 Post by BlondeCam »

Ugh! So sorry. Personally I've had no issues. The orthodox mat make you Hawley retainers instead.

liner

#41 Post by liner »

Don't give up.
Talk to your orthodontist and she/he should be able to figure something out for you.
The first few weeks are tough because you are getting used to a foreign object in your mouth.

mattventura

#42 Post by mattventura »

This will be my first time. I hope i'll be okay... :D

dyna

#43 Post by dyna »

I'm really surprised that more than half of the people voting had some type of allergic reaction. This makes me now a bit scared about taking Invisalign.

Kashmir5376

#44 Post by Kashmir5376 »

:cry: I am on week 6 of my liners. I’ve not had the sore throat or other issues but I have the WORST chapped lips of my life. I’m drinking gallons of cold water and applying several different organic lips balms constantly but nothing works! It’s so bad the corners of my mouth have split. The last time my lips were this chapped I was a kid playing outside in the cold and wind. It’s ridiculous. I’m hoping I can hang in there for another 11 weeks. :Questions: this sucks!

Gia

#45 Post by Gia »

Didn't have allergic reaction, but did have terrible anxiety and couldn't do it.