Poll: Did You Have An Allergic Reaction to Invisalign?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Did You Have An Allergic Reaction to Invisalign?

Yes, Sore Throat
16%
Yes, Cough
9%
Yes, Fatigue
10%
Yes, Bronchial problems
7%
Yes, Body Pain or Swelling
9%
Yes, Other (please post details)
13%
NO reaction to Invisalign -- all is/was fine
37%

Total votes: 104

Speck

Re: Poll: Did You Have An Allergic Reaction to Invisalign?

#46 Post by Speck »

Kashmir5376 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:15 pmI have the WORST chapped lips of my life. It’s so bad the corners of my mouth have split.
These products have served me well over the last, roughly, 43 years and especially since starting treatment with Invisalign:
Thebalm.jpg
Value size and pack. It doesn't say whether the value is a good or bad one. Marketing/merchandising. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Speck on Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Andy

Kashmir5376

#47 Post by Kashmir5376 »

Thanks Speck! :D

Jessiejones

#48 Post by Jessiejones »

I worry about this

LemonTree

#49 Post by LemonTree »

I didn't think I had allergies at the time but am wondering now if I was experiencing the cumulative effects of both aligner trays and regular allergies, the first time I did invisalign many years ago....

Sjhm2020

Re: Poll: Did You Have An Allergic/toxic Reaction to Invisalign?

#50 Post by Sjhm2020 »

Hello - Below is a brief synopsis of my situation. I started Invisalign clear braces on March 14 2022 took them out on October 5th 2022 after discovering that I was having a severe reaction to the material they use in the Trays a polyurethane which were leaching into my system via my stomach. I have had them out for 15 days ( please see photos of my face today) I am still experiencing severe pain and swelling in face. I have been to the ER 3 times in two weeks- at no point was I ever advised that all of my issues( which my GP HAS DONE EXTENSIVE TESTS OVER THE 8 months to try to understand why I was having all these issues) which started shortly after my Invisalign was implemented could possibly be from the Invisalign. I have a toxicology reports positively identifying the material INVISALIGN uses in my system which was taken in October 10. Align technology has only spoken to me once- help. The client agreement does disclose any these potential issues even though they were warned by the FDA for non disclosure of all of the hazards.

So I am updating again to my horrific experience with INVISALIGN poisoning. I needed you in the ER FOR THE 3rd time in 12 days today. My pulse was sitting at 209- ER tried all options to bring it down and finally tried Adenisone - which stops your heart. I have had trays out since the 5th of October- still have grotesque blisters in my lips - lymph’s are still Swollen jaw tissues still very irritated and swollen. When are all of these reactions going to subside- I am waiting on toxicology reports. But I have extensive comprehensive blood tests run in the last two weeks- I have had six- and nothing has come back abnormal.

I went to the ER on Saturday, October 8 after discovering that my Invisalign trays were causing me a severe adverse reaction. I had full face swelling blisters in the labs, tongue, swelling, I swelling, lymph node swelling, difficulty breathing, heart palpitations, migraine, extreme fatigue, brain fog. The ER doctor prescribed me 50 mg of prednisone I had removed the Invisalign trays on Tuesday night October 5. Saw my dentist Wednesday, October 6. The swelling was bad but persisted to get worse within my actual mouth and lips and lymph nodes. I am on my fourth day of 50 mg prednisone and the swelling has started to recede but the blistering which is in my lips and inside my jaw tissue is persistent, and ER doctor said it could take weeks for this to subside due to the duration of exposure from the Invisalign trays, which has been six months, and he could not tell me when I may return back to normal. When I first put the Invisalign in, I started to experience headaches had some swelling, but it would come and go as the months went on. I started to experiencing migraines severe upon waking up, severe, chronic fatigue, severe joint pain severe brain fog I was sleeping 12 to 14 hours a day. It has totally disrupted my life. My doctor has categorically logged all of these issues because we have done blood test and allergy test to try and figure out what the problem was in the whole time. The problem was the Invisalign tray , I have done research and found hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of other documentations of experiences like mine or worse. The Invisalign client agreement does not disclose any of these severe reactions being a possibility my dentist was totally unaware of any of these adverse reactions being an issue, and on the website, they do not disclose any type of adverse reactions. Had I had the knowledge to know that these symptoms were caused by the Invisalign I could’ve ended my treatment much sooner and save myself months and months of pain and suffering.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ ... id=4577830

https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/news/ ... da-warning

https://alignerology.com/wp-content/upl ... salign.pdf

https://fda.report/MAUDE/MDR/8623943

<Invisalign Material Safety Data Sheet.pdf>

Dunnyet

#51 Post by Dunnyet »

Wow, that’s crazy! I had no idea that could happen! I’m glad you are recovering- thank you so much for sharing your experience. You may well prevent other clear aligner users from suffering these allergic reactions.

crossalex

#52 Post by crossalex »

I started my treatment Nov 2020 and a few months in I could tell something was wrong - almost immediately when putting them in I would get a variety of reactions from blurry vision, my tongue would tingle and shortness of breath. At first I would try to deal with a Zyrtec but then I told my OD who then had Invisalign make them again without the disinfectant coasting as she called it. After the change, I found I could tolerate them a little easier without such obvious reactions as before. However I noticed I started to develop other "weird" instances with my body - When I would wake up in the morning , the side by body laid down on the bed would always have what looked like "dermatographia" on my body - these raised lines all over the side, back and arms. They kept coming and though I chunked it up to night time allergies or dry skin - I never saw this happen until I started wearing these aligners. I would suffer from this months on end off and on.

My treatment lasted 1.5 years and throughout the time Ive had minor instances of reactions until I received that devil of a final permanent retainer - within 2 days of wearing that hard plastic - I went to the ER for stroke like symptoms with high blood pressure OUT OF NO WHERE ( never in MY LIFE have I had high blood pressure like that) so I took them out. (hospital ran tests and found no sign of stroke) So I thought maybe Im just too stressed until this past night I tried to wear that retainer again and my throat started to close up within 10 minutes of wearing it, my lymph nodes were swollen and I developed a cough and flu like symptoms the next day on Thanksgiving! That retainer is now in the trash. I endured so much over 1.5 years just to get the worse of it. I should have stopped sooner.

bbsadmin

#53 Post by bbsadmin »

crossalex wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:28 pm I started my treatment Nov 2020 and a few months in I could tell something was wrong - almost immediately when putting them in I would get a variety of reactions from blurry vision, my tongue would tingle and shortness of breath. At first I would try to deal with a Zyrtec but then I told my OD who then had Invisalign make them again without the disinfectant coasting as she called it. After the change, I found I could tolerate them a little easier without such obvious reactions as before. However I noticed I started to develop other "weird" instances with my body - When I would wake up in the morning , the side by body laid down on the bed would always have what looked like "dermatographia" on my body - these raised lines all over the side, back and arms. They kept coming and though I chunked it up to night time allergies or dry skin - I never saw this happen until I started wearing these aligners. I would suffer from this months on end off and on.

My treatment lasted 1.5 years and throughout the time Ive had minor instances of reactions until I received that devil of a final permanent retainer - within 2 days of wearing that hard plastic - I went to the ER for stroke like symptoms with high blood pressure OUT OF NO WHERE ( never in MY LIFE have I had high blood pressure like that) so I took them out. (hospital ran tests and found no sign of stroke) So I thought maybe Im just too stressed until this past night I tried to wear that retainer again and my throat started to close up within 10 minutes of wearing it, my lymph nodes were swollen and I developed a cough and flu like symptoms the next day on Thanksgiving! That retainer is now in the trash. I endured so much over 1.5 years just to get the worse of it. I should have stopped sooner.

Did you ask your orthodontist for an acrylic and metal Hawley retainer instead? If you don't wear a retainer, your teeth will move and you'll have endured all that for nothing!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Dunnyet

#54 Post by Dunnyet »

Reading these horror stories about clear aligners , I wonder what they are made of or where some of these are manufactured! Thank you for sharing your ordeal, that’s what makes this such a great forum! Our administrator is absolutely correct, make sure you get hawley style retainers as soon as possible, before your teeth start to shift out of alignment. Best of luck to you!

crossalex

#55 Post by crossalex »

I did mention it to my ortho and he said that the Hawley gives people more reactions (acrylic and metal) than the plastics ones. Im thinking about just finding someone else to make an old school metal permanent retainer for me. Im not putting nothing plastic in my mouth again threatening my health

Dunnyet

#56 Post by Dunnyet »

By all means, be sure to get a retainer that suits you, but don’t wait too long- after all your suffering, you want to ensure your teeth stay straight! Enjoy your beautiful smile, and share it with the people around you- Cheers!

Anjanad

#57 Post by Anjanad »

I had red eyes and pain. Had to go on steroids . Almost at the end of treatment, so I don’t understand why this is happening now. Don’t know how I will wear the retainer and if my teeth will go back to how they were