Bad breath + going on a night out with Invisalign

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bucky!

Bad breath + going on a night out with Invisalign

#1 Post by bucky! »

Has anyone else found that they started getting bad breath during Invisalign treatment? I am a week into treatment and not only notice it on myself (I thought that was impossible!) but have had my partner make comments. I brush/floss and use mouthwash after every meal and clean my aligners at least daily but still I get bad breath, usually a few hours after I've put them back in after a meal. It's really driving me crazy! Anyone else had this problem? What do you do to combat it?

I am also yet to go out on a night out with Invisalign. I am not a heavy drinker but will still have one or two and so I'm not sure what to do with my aligners? Take them out for my first drink and then put them back in after brushing when I get home? That could be like 8 hours without them in :? With two weeks for each set, 8 hours (plus the 2 hours of eating otherwise that day) actually seems like it could be pretty significant!
I've thought about drinking clear drinks with them in (I know it's a big no no.. but bear with me) and then cleaning the aligners afterwards and putting them in a bit of diluted vinegar (my dentist suggested this if the colour gets a bit funny). What do you think? I barely go out because I don't like drinking, but surely the odd night out couldn't hurt if I stay away from coloured drinks which could stain and clean them well afterwards?

Opinions please! :)

Newsmilesoon

Re: Bad breath + going on a night out with Invisalign

#2 Post by Newsmilesoon »

Hi Bucky
I'm also two weeks into Invisalign, not experiencing any bad breath (not that I've noticed anyway) but when I was approaching the two weekly change which was yesterday, I felt like I could taste the plastic a bit and it wasn't too nice. My dentist said I could drink anything except very hot drinks and if I wanted a dark coloured drink to use a straw and it would be ok. I don't think you should go so long without wearing the aligners, it's not worth it! I'm having a night out next week and will wear mine, I'll slip them out for the meal, take a tooth brush with me, clean my teeth and then leave them in for the night. I won't only be having a couple either lol

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

Bad breath usually = bacteria buildup on your aligner or retainer.

How are you cleaning it, and how often?
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

bucky!

#4 Post by bucky! »

Newsmilesoon that is interesting that your dentist said you can still drink other drinks, it puts me at ease! I think I will definitely wear them out, maybe just stay away from Vodka Raspberries just to be on the safe side ;)

I clean them morning and night with dishwashing liquid (my dentist said to use that or hand soap lol). The dishwashing liquid I was using was a really cheap one (it still says antibacterial)- I might switch to an antibacterial (brand name) liquid hand soap instead and see how that goes.

Newsmilesoon

#5 Post by Newsmilesoon »

Hi Bucky1
I didn't have the washing advice from my dentist so that's helpful for me, I've been using toothpaste on a little brush, it gets very messy!!

Boira

#6 Post by Boira »

I clean my trays 3 times a day, every time I take them out to eat.
I let them soak in Steradent (or similar) in the morning while I have breakfast and the other 2 times I soak them in dishwasher. Then, I brush them well with a soft brush before putting them back in.
No problem so far with odor or stains. They stay fresh for the 2 weeks of wear.
  • Invisalign 1st round: 23/26U - 23/60L - 13 attachments. Stopped at tray 23.
  • Mid-course correction: 15/15U - 37/37L - 11 attachments - DONE!
  • Refinements: 33/33U - 33/33L - 17 attachments - DONE!
  • Refinements 2nd round: 1/18U - 1/18L - 10 attachments

ohioinvisguy

#7 Post by ohioinvisguy »

bucky,

i notice i have what i will call stale breath after a few hours if i dont drink something such as water periodically. my mouth seems to get dry. try taking a drink or two of water just to re-wet your mouth throughout the day. maybe try swishing it around like you would do with mouthwash. if you are keeping your aligners clean with toothpaste and a toothbrush i would think you aligners shouldnt be the problem. i have heard some people try and offer retainer/aligner cleaner such as retainer brite as a solution. i have used this myself, and in my experience a soft bristled electric toothbrush and toothpaste keeps the aligners sparkling clean. in fact, for me, the retainer brite didn't clean them as well as my sonic toothbrush. just my personal experience.
Check out my Invisalign Bog at http://invisalignadventure2010.blogspot.com/

Katvo

#8 Post by Katvo »

Bucky-

It sounds like you're getting a bit of halitosis from your mouth drying out. I had the same problem with my essix retainer (basically the same thing as an invisalign tray) I'd suggest keeping water with you through the day- as it's the only truly safe liquid to drink during invisalign. (There are two reasons for this- 1. any liquid with sugar in it will be held against your teeth by your invisalign tray and encourage cavities 2. any colored liquid will be held against your teeth and encourage staining.)

I'd also suggest more frequent cleaning of your trays- Ask your ortho if you can use a retainer cleaner on them.

-Kat

bbsadmin

#9 Post by bbsadmin »

You should try a real retainer cleaner for your trays, such as Retainer Brite or DentaSoak, and see if it makes a difference in your breath. The soap may not be doing an adequate job of killing the bacteria in the crevices of your retainer.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!