number of refinements

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dbt

number of refinements

#1 Post by dbt »

I just received my refinements and there are 25! I had 20 aligners in the first set . Is it normal to have more aligners in the refinement set than the first go around? I'm upset!

sammywantstraightteeth

Re: number of refinements

#2 Post by sammywantstraightteeth »

I can understand why you are upset! I've heard of similar situations before.

I guess that first time around they were making their predictions on how the average person's teeth move. Now that you have had 10 months of treatment your ortho knows a bit more about which teeth are proving stubborn and how much effort they are likely to take to shift.

I had 24 aligners. For my first set of refinements I was predicted a further 12-16 aligners. I declined. My teeth aren't perfect but no way do I want another 6 months of this - I've had enough!

You know what it is like having invisalign, so now you can decide between another year of treatment for better results vs leaving your teeth as they are now.

Treatment started: 13th July 2010.
http://sammiesbraces.livejournal.com
http://pics.livejournal.com/sammiesbraces
Expected finish: 14th June 2011.
Upper Trays: 21
Lower Trays: 24

goodteethby2013

#3 Post by goodteethby2013 »

I had 20 aligners for the first go around and am now slowly working my way through my set of 13 refinements. In my case, I know there was a missed coordination between my ortho and my prosthodontist regarding a crown that needs more room around it so I can get it replaced after the ortho is complete, so I think that's what its taking so many refinements. I had been hoping for fewer than 10, so I understand the disappointment! Try to take it one tray at a time!

ohioinvisguy

#4 Post by ohioinvisguy »

I understand your frustration. I had 24 aligners in my first round of treatment. I started refinements a week ago, and have 23 more aligners! The tech in my ortho's office said it is the "perfection side" of my orthodontist. I do want to make sure and get my money's worth in terms of having all my teeth as straight as possible. However I admit it was great having all the attachments off my teeth while waiting for my refinements to arrive. Like everyone else I has strongly hoping for considerably less aligners in this go around. On a positive note, the ortho tech said I could stop anytime I was happy with the position of my teeth. Most of the aligners are for my upper arch, only the first 11 or so are moving my bottom arch. I want to finish all the aligners for the bottom arch, since I still have some minor crowding. I am seriously considering not finishing all the top aligners as long as my bite is properly in place. Very frustrating indeed.
Check out my Invisalign Bog at http://invisalignadventure2010.blogspot.com/

SimoSorriso

#5 Post by SimoSorriso »

That's really sad :cry:
I'm waiting for my aligners and after 25 trays ....and weeks and weeks waiting I definitely would not like to know that I've to keep the Invisalign for another year! :huh:
It will be really frustrating! :-+
But it is also true that I want my teeth as much straight as I can...after all I've been struggling for months with breath morning smell, sharp edges cutting my gum, tight trays that they were causing head-aches...anyhow I still believe it is worth it :D

ChicagoB

#6 Post by ChicagoB »

OMG - now I'm getting nervous. When I saw my dentist last week, he said maybe 5 aligners - I told myself maybe 10. I just hope it's not more than that. I can't wait for life without attachments though.

Aditi

#7 Post by Aditi »

Good lord I never even considered the thought of "refinements", I'm sour enough as it is about this whole process. :yuck: I was considering stopping halfway through but my dentist convinced me to keep on with it. Halfway through and my teeth are looking pretty good so I think when I am done I'll say "phooey" to refinements. I think I'll be happy enough. I guess. I hope. *sweat*
׺°”˜`”°º× ׺°”˜`”°º×׺°”˜`”°º× ׺°”˜`”°º×׺°”˜`”°º×
◆◆◆ Invisalign aligner 12 of 20 ◆◆◆
•·.·´¯`·.·• •·.·´¯`·.·•´•·.·´¯`·.·• •·.·´¯`·.·•´•·.·´¯`·.·• •·

ChicagoB

#8 Post by ChicagoB »

[quote="Aditi"]Good lord I never even considered the thought of "refinements", I'm sour enough as it is about this whole process. :yuck: I was considering stopping halfway through but my dentist convinced me to keep on with it. Halfway through and my teeth are looking pretty good so I think when I am done I'll say "phooey" to refinements. I think I'll be happy enough. I guess. I hope. *sweat*[/quote]

Your attitude may change as you near the end of treatment. The change in my teeth has been night and day and as much as I couldn't wait for it to end, I want to make sure I see this through. We've put in a lot of effort and money into this process so a few more months should not be a big deal.

Keep this in mind - your dentist has no incentive to keep you going as he's already been paid. If you decide to come back in a year or so to get that perfect look, that's more money from him. It's one thing if he's the one trying to get you to stop. He's not - his advice benefits you 100%. Take his advice and go through at least one round of refinements. I doubt you'll regret it.

Aditi

#9 Post by Aditi »

This is not my thread but I do have to say that when a person has intractable pain for 20+ weeks and is on percocet and tramadol for it that there is something wrong. My attitude is not changing because this process is twisting one of my bottom teeth and it is not going back straight now for 4 aligners. I'll go and be sour now in my own thread.
׺°”˜`”°º× ׺°”˜`”°º×׺°”˜`”°º× ׺°”˜`”°º×׺°”˜`”°º×
◆◆◆ Invisalign aligner 12 of 20 ◆◆◆
•·.·´¯`·.·• •·.·´¯`·.·•´•·.·´¯`·.·• •·.·´¯`·.·•´•·.·´¯`·.·• •·

ChicagoB

#10 Post by ChicagoB »

[quote="Aditi"]This is not my thread but I do have to say that when a person has intractable pain for 20+ weeks and is on percocet and tramadol for it that there is something wrong. My attitude is not changing because this process is twisting one of my bottom teeth and it is not going back straight now for 4 aligners. I'll go and be sour now in my own thread.[/quote]

I'm so sorry about the level of pain you've experienced. Is that pain every day? Normally, it subsides after a few days. Please see your ortho if the pain is daily - you may need to extend the time with each tray if your treatment plan is too aggressive.

MIKE82

#11 Post by MIKE82 »

what are refinements?

are they just the same as alligners but a different name