I'm 51, husband thinks I'm too old for braces.

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Pati527

I'm 51, husband thinks I'm too old for braces.

#1 Post by Pati527 »

I've hated my smile my whole life. I have moderate crowding on the top. At age 30, I had an ortho consult who was not much of a salesman. He told me I would need surgery to split my palate since it was already fused, use a palate expander, etc. I asked if there was an alternative & he said yes but that I would have a permanent lisp. I got up & left the appointment very disappointed & never sought another opinion. Definitely did not want palate surgery or a speech impediment. Fast forward 21 years & I told myself that Im finally going to get veneers to correct my smile. Saw a cosmetic dentist yesterday who had every opportunity to sell me expensive veneers who told me I was a perfect candidate for invisalign. Said that we don't have to do a major overhaul to get the cosmetic appearance I want; my bite is pretty good & he doesn't have to do a ton of correction. Said maybe 9 months.

I actually felt like crying. I wish I had known this 20 years ago. I guess my first ortho didn't understand that I was just looking to cosmetically enhance my smile & not have everything absolutely perfect. With that being said, I'm thrilled to find out I'm a candidate for invisalign. I will be seeking another opinion but this dentist insisted I would not have a permanent lisp.

However, my husband laughed hysterically when I told him what I was considering and my kids too. All said, "what's it matter at your age, you'll end up with braces in the coffin." My husband told me I need my head examined.

Am I wasting my money? My smile is not awful, but it does bug me.

Crazy4Snow

Re: I'm 51, husband thinks I'm too old for braces.

#2 Post by Crazy4Snow »

I've often felt that I was too old...but then I realized that one is NEVER too old to improve oneself. I'm 44 and been in braces for 9 weeks and I'm so glad that I decided to do this!!! I've always wanted straight teeth and now I'm going to have them. And guess what? If I die, having only enjoyed my new smile for just 1 year it would be worth it. I told hubby to tell the mortician to put a smile on my face showing my beautiful teeth, that is if I meet a very untimely death! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go for it and never look back!!!

My story in this forum:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38942

Braced: 4/7/2011
Metal Upper & Lower
Sentence: 18-24 months
Removal Date: 9/4/13

KUMonkeyMomma

#3 Post by KUMonkeyMomma »

I'm 41 and just got done with my invisalign journey. Never too old in my book!
Donna
Started treatment 9/2/09
Treatment finished 4/27/11

hannahbanana

#4 Post by hannahbanana »

I'm 57 and started invisalign 14 months ago. Four more weeks to go! The upper arch is being finished with ceramics which makes me feel very self conscious at my age, but oh well! I'm almost there! I think a nice smile makes a person look younger. Better (and healthier) to spend your money on your teeth than botox!

DrJasonKTam

#5 Post by DrJasonKTam »

The way I look at it, if you're not improving yourself, you're going downhill. It's too bad your husband and kids do not understand how you feel about this.

If it isn't a major financial obstacle, I'd say go for it. You'll find a lot of support here :).
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

anniegirl

#6 Post by anniegirl »

Don't give it a second thought!!! Get them! I am in my late 30's, and have had the basic metal braces for 6 months, another 3 to go, and it is the best decision ever! You would regret it in a couple of years if you didn't go for it now!!

Boira

#7 Post by Boira »

Go for it Pati527!
You're NEVER to old to treat yourself with anything that makes you feel better about yourself. Pity your family don't understand it, but just go ahead and do it. You'll find lots of support here.
  • Invisalign 1st round: 23/26U - 23/60L - 13 attachments. Stopped at tray 23.
  • Mid-course correction: 15/15U - 37/37L - 11 attachments - DONE!
  • Refinements: 33/33U - 33/33L - 17 attachments - DONE!
  • Refinements 2nd round: 1/18U - 1/18L - 10 attachments

anxiousgirl

#8 Post by anxiousgirl »

im 17 and i say go for it. my mum is a bit older than you and she always tells me about how she hated her teeth for years and years but her parents could never afford to fix them so she did when she could afford it.

do it if it will give you some confidence! they're clear aligners. can't believe he would say such a thing :(

im so happy i got my braces! i hope you go down the journey despite what anyone says! as long as you are happy :D

braces on: 21/02/2011
lower braces off: 20/03/2013
upper braces off: 04/04/2013

sammywantstraightteeth

#9 Post by sammywantstraightteeth »

I wish I hadn't waited so long to get my teeth sorted out, and I'm 27 years old! Just finished (today!!!) and I'm so glad that I have done it.

You could easily live another 30-40 years, straightening your teeth will take just one.

You are raising children, so chances are like most mothers you don't do a lot for yourself. Its time that you did. Tell your family that this is really important to you and that you would appreciate their support.

Treatment started: 13th July 2010.
http://sammiesbraces.livejournal.com
http://pics.livejournal.com/sammiesbraces
Expected finish: 14th June 2011.
Upper Trays: 21
Lower Trays: 24

Minerva

#10 Post by Minerva »

Why would you be too old? Is Madonna too old to go to the gym? :wink:

If you want braces, got for them!

I have asked if your potential Invisalign provider is a good orthodontist in the

other thread because I was offered six-month-braces by a cosmetic dentist,

who said everything would be nice and easy, yet when I went to the ortho. and

mentioned it, he said the six-month-braces would not have been a good choice, and

he explained why ( I too was told to considered Sarpe).

Make sure you're in good hands.

annelou

#11 Post by annelou »

You go girl!! If you can afford it, do it. I'm just starting the invisalign process and I'm very nervous, but determined. I was glad to see the post from a 57 year old woman who was finishing up her invisalign. She's my hero - I'm 57. My slogan is "straight teeth by 60" I know it seems ridiculous and vain to some of my family and friends. I made sure my two sons had braces so they would have a beautiful smile, and now (after getting them through college: $$) it's my turn. My husband just shrugs, so I guess that's better than scorn. Everyone has things about themselves they wish they could change and I feel if I'm willing to put up with the discomfort and challenges of wearing these things I will earn the reward of living the rest of my life with a smile I feel good about - even if it's in the nursing home!

avalon1001

#12 Post by avalon1001 »

Hey Pati ! Go ahead and get them. I'm 52 and just got mine yesterday !

bbsadmin

#13 Post by bbsadmin »

I got my braces in my 40s. I was not a candidate for Invisalign. You are lucky that you are a candidate for it!

Your husband and kids are being very insensitive. They're YOUR teeth and if they bother YOU then go for it! Fixing my teeth was life changing for me. Heck, that's why I started this message board and my DentaKit.com business!

Just make sure that the dentist doing the Invisalign has enough experience to do it properly. Sometimes docs just take a quick course in Invisalign and don't have enough experience and training to do it properly. When in doubt, consult with an orthodontist as a second opinion. There are people on this message board who got Invisalign done by an inexperienced dentist and wound up with worse problems, needing to go into traditional braces later. So do your homework first! If your case is very simple and your bite is good, chances are you'll be fine.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

annelou

#14 Post by annelou »

[quote="hannahbanana"]I'm 57 and started invisalign 14 months ago. Four more weeks to go! The upper arch is being finished with ceramics which makes me feel very self conscious at my age, but oh well! I'm almost there! I think a nice smile makes a person look younger. Better (and healthier) to spend your money on your teeth than botox![/quote]
I'm dying to know how you're progressing with you invisalign - are you done? I had responded to your post; I'm 57 and getting my first trays next week. I'm so nervous, but as I said in my post: determined.

Huggypillow

#15 Post by Huggypillow »

Hi Pati527

well quite simply people chose to get a new hair style, change their hair to drastic colours, go on their 55th diet, get a nose job, get a boob job.

we eat with our teeth and it's not a crime to have a good bite and the want for healthy teeth and gums.

I cant understand why people are so obsessed about making mean comments, they should be happy for you and that we all try and tell kids " brush your teeth" " floss your teeth" what better example than a parent backing up with actions.

We will all still have nice teeth when we are old, even when their weight has gained again, the nose job goes wrinkled, the new boobs have sagged to their knees and their hair is non existant for cutting or colouring.

Patie527 you go for it and be proud of your decision.

Huggy