I'm 51, husband thinks I'm too old for braces.

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hannahbanana

Re: I'm 51, husband thinks I'm too old for braces.

#16 Post by hannahbanana »

Hi Annelou - I'm finished now and very happy with the results. I decided to do some whitening and then got a small chip fixed on a bottom front tooth, so now am just waiting for a fixed retainer on the bottom arch and already have an Essix retainer on the top (I'll also wear Essix on the bottom arch at night). I'm still wearing the last aligner on the bottom arch while I wait for the retainer. The bottom teeth aren't perfect, but are a huge improvement compared to where they started so I decided it was good enough. I did definitely get tired of the "invisalign life" of not being able to eat or drink (other than water) whenever I wanted and just didn't want to try another set of refinements for a small improvement. It definitely does take a lot of commitment but don't get discouraged - it will be worth it in the end. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

sibilla

#17 Post by sibilla »

Go for it!! I got mine 3 weeks ago, at 52. I haven't regretted it for a single moment. I know I'll be 54 by the time they come off (hopefully!) but I've hated my teeth for so long that now that I can afford to do something about them I decided to go for it. People's reactions have been mixed - ranging from 'good for you' to 'but you've put up with it for this long'. But other people's reactions don't alter the fact that this is something I want to do - for me, and not for anyone else. Age is immaterial, if something about your appearance upsets you then it means you take pride in yourself and how can that be bad or trivial?

Don't hold back - if you can afford it, and it's something you really, really want - you go girl!!

annelou

#18 Post by annelou »

Thank you so much for the replies and support. I anticipate the issues you both mentioned - just water to drink . . . peoples reactions, etc. And being a "grazer" I know it's going to be hard to take them out, eat, brush. But that will make me a more thoughtful, disciplined eater so that's okay (for awhile!). It's really helpful to have this site to learn how other people have dealt with all of this. Thanks again!

myhollywoodsmile

#19 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

I'm almost 40 and I have been wearing Invisalign for two years. I LOVE the way my teeth have changed! My husband said "just what every man has always wanted, a wife with braces" but... I ignored him, and even he was amazed at how invisible they are.

Don't listen to your husband! Really, having worn these for so long I can tell you that they are hard for the first week or two and then unbelievably easy. Please don't spend the rest of your life hating your smile when you don't have to.

Good Luck! :D

myhollywoodsmile

#20 Post by myhollywoodsmile »

I'm almost 40 and I have been wearing Invisalign for two years. I LOVE the way my teeth have changed! My husband said "just what every man has always wanted, a wife with braces" but... I ignored him, and even he was amazed at how invisible they are.

Don't listen to your husband! Really, having worn these for so long I can tell you that they are hard for the first week or two and then unbelievably easy. Please don't spend the rest of your life hating your smile when you don't have to.

Good Luck! :D

annelou

#21 Post by annelou »

I've had my first set of aligners in for almost a week now - and so far so good. I thought I would pull my teeth out the first few days taking them out, but that does get better. I'm kind of obsessing on how to keep them clean. I've read lots of advice on that and I'll figure it out. I've decided the trays feel like wearing "spanx" (a girdle) on your teeth. Not really painful, but snug. I take Advil at night because that's when it's the most uncomfortable.
I don't love the attachments dots - my ortho didn't really explain what they were going to be like. I guess they don't know how many you'll have until the trays come in. I have six on top and the two that show the most (to me) are on my incisors (?) my "fangs", as I call them, the others are on side teeth and aren't seen. They are noticeable when the trays are out. Friends say they're not, but that's because they're friends! It looks like my fangs are sprouting baby fangs.
I think one thing about doing this as a (very) mature adult is you are able to put some of this in perspective. I'm just starting - 23 trays on top, 12 on the bottom. I have no idea how many refinements I'll have (do you know that at the beginning, or is that a surprise down the line? I'll have to ask my ortho). This is a choice I've made and I trust the result will be worth the time, the expense and effort this process will take.
Not to be melodramatic - but people deal with much harder stuff in their life that they don't have a choice about, that doesn't go away, and they don't get a pleasant outcome from. I'm lucky to be able to do this for myself.

Newsmilesoon

#22 Post by Newsmilesoon »

I'm 47 and had Invisilign fitted on Wednesday 31st August 2011. This was a huge decision for me, I have never liked my teeth and was very embarrassed about them even avoiding talking about teeth with friends/colleagues, I used to change the subject and they must have noticed. I'm sure some people have thought 'why is she bothering at her age' and I too wish I'd done it years ago but when you're younger you don't always have the money or the confidence.

This board is really helpful and I can see myself using it for support/advice quite a lot. Thanks to you all and good luck!!

annelou

#23 Post by annelou »

Good luck to you Newsmile! I hope it's going well. I'm still surprised that people really don't realize I've got the aligners in my mouth, which is great, that helps me feel like I've made the right decision.

Newsmilesoon

#24 Post by Newsmilesoon »

Thanks Annelou,
I'm also surprised they can't tell I'm wearing them, and I don't mind telling people either, infact I show them my teeth when I'm got the Invisalign in, something I would never have done before! I've found it useful to read this board and the blogs. There are quite a few people who are just starting out too so we can start the journey together. I do feel they occupy my thoughts!

Eve43

#25 Post by Eve43 »

Hi Newsmilesoon!

I just got molds done Tuesday for Invisalign and am planning on getting my first set on October 10th. How do you like them so far?

Good Luck!

annelou

#26 Post by annelou »

Hi Eve,
I'll tell you how it's going for me - two weeks into invisalign. Next week I put a new tray on; I go three weeks per set. So far, so good. I feel like I'm really used to them now. It's time consuming to take them out before eating, brush teeth, or at least rinse, etc etc. I've lost a few pounds because I don't snack as often - it's too much trouble! But I find them really comfortable and no one seems to see them. I don't like the attachments, but I guess they help to do the job. I'll be curious to see how uncomfortable the next set is, I can't imagine it won't hurt for a few days. But pain is progress I guess! Getting the trays out was really a challenge the first few days too. That's gotten easier. Hope your impression experience was okay and I bet you're excited to get started. Good luck!!

armadillo

#27 Post by armadillo »

annelou wrote:You go girl!!......My slogan is "straight teeth by 60" I know it seems ridiculous and vain to some of my family and friends. I made sure my two sons had braces so they would have a beautiful smile, and now (after getting them through college: $$) it's my turn. My husband just shrugs, so I guess that's better than scorn. Everyone has things about themselves they wish they could change and I feel if I'm willing to put up with the discomfort and challenges of wearing these things I will earn the reward of living the rest of my life with a smile I feel good about - even if it's in the nursing home!
Haha! "Straight by 60" is my slogan too! I'm 58 and one year in. I've always wanted braces for my crooked teeth. I've had all kinds of reactions. My husband laughed too, but the joke will be on him when I have a nice new smile! I had one person say "why did you do that when you're 100!" (she's older than I am). Others think I'm nuts, but there's a guy on my office who's the same age as I am and has braces and he encouraged me. The time passes whether you do it or not, and if you can afford it (I have dental insurance that includes some ortho....when I retire I may not have that level) go for it. Teeth tend to look more snaggly as you age, so why not do something about it now? :)

Eve43

#28 Post by Eve43 »

annelou,

I'm so glad you like them! I hope the experience continues to be a positive one for both of us. The top mold was tough...stuff started gagging me. But first time was a charm...no re-do's. So now I wait. I was going for Damon clear...and at the last minute chickened out. After reading about pokey wires and mouth sores...yikes! I hope my decision proves to be a wise one. I know they're difficult to get off...I have one of those tools coming...it should be delivered tomorrow ;) Do you have the tool, lou? And if so, does it help? I could stand to lose a few pounds...so I am looking forward to that! Thanks for sharing your experience so far with them...look forward to chatting with you as we both go along our journeys ;)

Toothless

#29 Post by Toothless »

Never too old! I say go for it. If it is something that can make you feel more confident, it is a great investment!

janey1

#30 Post by janey1 »

[quote="Newsmilesoon"]I'm 47 and had Invisilign fitted on Wednesday 31st August 2011. This was a huge decision for me, I have never liked my teeth and was very embarrassed about them even avoiding talking about teeth with friends/colleagues, I used to change the subject and they must have noticed. I'm sure some people have thought 'why is she bothering at her age' and I too wish I'd done it years ago but when you're younger you don't always have the money or the confidence.

This board is really helpful and I can see myself using it for support/advice quite a lot. Thanks to you all and good luck!![/quote]

Hi. I have just turned 40 and I am going next month for my first appointment. How are you getting on? any regrets? What did husband think about the price?