Finished - my experience with Invisalign!

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

emma83

Finished - my experience with Invisalign!

#1 Post by emma83 »

Hi everyone!

I have finally finished, had my attachments off yesterday and moulds taken for the retainers - I am now sitting here with nothing on my teeth and they are nice and bright as I had them whitened straight after as well!

I just wanted to share my experience as I generally did not follow any of the "rules"......I may have been lucky and I'm not saying everyone will be the same, but here goes:

I had 18 upper and lower trays to begin with, then in December last year I said I wasn't happy with the result on the bottom and I got a further 7 trays, again upper and lower. For the first couple of trays I followed everything I had been told religiously - must have had them in for 23 hours a day, brushed my teeth before putting them back in, didn't drink anything except water when they were in, etc etc.......

I soon got bored of this and over the following few months I got to the point where I hardly did anything I "should" have done. I have quite a good social life and usually go out Thursdays and Fridays plus over the weekend. I always put the new trays in on a Monday night so I could have a couple of good days where I wore them all the time, when the movement tends to occur. After those first couple of days on each new tray, I'd be lucky if they were in for 14 hours a day. I didn't like wearing them when I went out drinking (mainly because I was very conscious of the attachments, and I had only told 2 friends what I was having done) so I'd take them out and leave them out all evening.

I drank tea, red and white wine (at home), fruit juices, you name it, I drank it when I was wearing them. I would occasionally eat with them in but only soft stuff that I didn't have to crunch or chew. I never brushed and flossed during the day, only in the morning and at night as normal.

I started seeing someone new at Christmas and didn't tell him about the aligners (mainly because I wanted to see if he would notice the attachments etc - he didn't so I then just kept it quiet!). So whenever I was with him I'd take them out, over the weekends my hours wearing them went down to maybe 8 or 9 which is when I put them in when I went to bed! We went on a 2 week holiday a month ago, just as I was starting my last 2 sets of trays, and I didn't once wear them during the day.

My teeth have turned out just as I wanted them and I'm so happy with the results. As I said above, this might not be the case for everyone but I just wanted to post this as a lot of people seem to get so hung up on sticking to the rules....... :D

Advocate

Re: Finished - my experience with Invisalign!

#2 Post by Advocate »

I'm glad it worked out, but I wonder if you could have been finished sooner (without the need for a refinement) if you had worn them as directed. Congratulations anyway! Post before and after pictures?

emma83

#3 Post by emma83 »

Thanks - and yeah that’s possible! Although every time I saw my dentist he was happy with the way they fitted (and I obviously didn't mention that I wasn't wearing them much). I will see if I can get the photos on here tonight
:D

lilone

#4 Post by lilone »

Thanks for posting Emma! I'm going to be starting this journey within the next month or two (just had moulds done) so it is interesting to hear about somebody just coming to the other side. The best thing is knowing that people didn't notice when you didn't mention it. Did you have any attachments on you front teeth. It would be great if you could put up some pictures!

Congratulations on finishing treatment:)

emma83

#5 Post by emma83 »

Photos seem to be coming out enormous but I cant make them smaller...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ItsyBitsy

#6 Post by ItsyBitsy »

Hi everyone,

Didn't want to start a new topic, so will post here..

So... finally i'm also near the end.. I've started January last year (with 17U/21L + 6U/10L refinements) and now got another 5 weeks to go...Still need to change some old fillings, get a permanent retainer fitted and i'll be done...Not quite sure yet what to do with this darker tooth :roll: ...Had it bleached from inside but the result isn't what i would've liked it to be :( (perhapse composite bonding or veneer ??) will see what my dentist suggests..
I'm pleased with teh result, and wanted to share couple of pictures with you (before and now):

Advocate

#7 Post by Advocate »

Wow that is a mega-improvement! Congratulations!

cuteirka

#8 Post by cuteirka »

I love seeing the before and after pictures! Your teeth look great, congrats!!

dbt

#9 Post by dbt »

I've done the same in regards to going out and each additional aligner has fit.

pinkgecko

#10 Post by pinkgecko »

You have beautiful teeth now! Wow! Congrats :)

Toontino

#11 Post by Toontino »

Excellent congrats

Toontino

#12 Post by Toontino »

Excellent congrats