first day

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Olivia

first day

#1 Post by Olivia »

Sooo, I have finally started and picked my first tray up this morning..First of 14 upper and 7 lower.

So far so good...No pain, no trouble popping the aligner in and out... (I currently have only top aligner)

Actually..the only thing that really bothers me is that I have this weird feeling of having a mouth full of plastic and I have a lisp...This kind of worries me...I have job interviews coming up!

Overall I feel kind of ambivalent at the moment...the " what have I done" feeling pops up every now and then (" my teeth weren't that crooked, all this just for vanity" etc etc)

Does it get better? (the speech and the overall feeling of the aligners in your mouth)

thanks for reading!

Olivia

Re: first day

#2 Post by Olivia »

So I thought I could answer my own question :wink: ...Today is better than yesterday! The lisp is practitically gone. I'm still annoyed by the attachments because of how they feel and their visibility.Feels like regular braces! Also I got this small feeling of claustrophobia (spelling? not a native English speaker/writer)...something like " I can't escape from this for a day" ...
But I can't really complain....I have 7 months of treatment and only 4 attachments on my canines and first molars...I think I could have done worse...

I think the whole experience will be good for me on several levels...I'm terribly self conscious and other peoples opinions mean way to much to me...So now I'm doing something for me, regardless of all the comments I got beforehand from family etc. (so much money! not neccesary!)

I think the invisalign section is a bit quiet,if yiu look at the general messages here.It seems all the " action" is going on on the other forums...I introduced myself a while ago on the main forum by the way, if you want some background info!

thanx for reading, I'm going to put my plastic little teeth prison back in...:D

drgnchsr36

#3 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Glad to hear that things are going better for you - congrats on getting started :)

Hope all goes well with your treatment!!

Advocate

#4 Post by Advocate »

Yes, the first day is kind of intense. It took me a half hour to get the aligners off for the first time! And I was a bit terrified that they wouldn't come out without taking teeth with them. It got easier after a few days though.

You're very lucky to only need 7 months. I'm supposed to have a total of 21 aligners, which I guess works out to about 10 months. But it seems like almost everyone ends up getting refinements for another 6 months or so after their last regular aligner. I guess that's actually a good thing. I mean, we might as well get the best results we can even if it takes a bit longer.

Olivia

#5 Post by Olivia »

Day 4! I must say, I'm very pleased so far...the " what have I done" feelings subsided and I hardly notice the aligner in my mouth anymore..Thank god my mouth is not trying to " wash" the aligner out anymore...less saliva=less lisp... :roll:

Nobody else seems to notice what is going on in my mouth, which is good ofcourse! I have to admit I'm not watching the clock all day when it comes to wear-time...I decided from the beginning I'm not going to stress about this, I have a life and I think the aligner came into MY life and not the other way around! :D I always stay above the 20 hrs though....

@ Advocate: I'm on the invisalign lite program...I think it's the new version of invisalign express..Lite goes up to 14 aligners and no refinements..so when I'm done, I'm done....The reason that I needed fourteen aligners on top is that my roots have shortened a bit due to treament in my teens, so we are taking it slow...TOO slow..if you ask me at the moment...I want results and instant gratification....I'm not good with patience...and somehow I think this is a key word in this saga....sigh....

Olivia

#6 Post by Olivia »

I decided to make a bit of a blog for myself here to track my experiences with invisalign....

So day 5..I've been quite ill the last two days..which made the invisalign somewhat more of a challenge...I had a craving for hot tea and chickensoup during the whole day, so I ended up dragging myself to the bathroom to brush my teeth (8 times today) with a fever..But.....no pain no gain eh? :wink:

Also, I have to admit I've never been a big flosser...until now...My gums are in total shock I think...:D My dental hygiene improved massively in the past 5 days..(wasn't really bad before)
The aligner is getting very easy to pop in and out compared to day 1, so something is moving!

Hoping everyone is doing well with their treatment!
:-1

Advocate

#7 Post by Advocate »

I agree about the flossing being kind of a shock. I've never really flossed much before. Now I floss 3 times a day! But you know, I don't think I'll ever go back to not flossing. It's just gross to think about the little bits of food slowly rotting under the gums. I didn't realize that was possible. Ewww. Now, I'm almost afraid to kiss someone until I'm sure they floss regularly! :p

Olivia

#8 Post by Olivia »

Day...7!

I found myself yesterday browsing the net for invisalign experiences...not a good idea...Seems there are a lot of people who have bad experiences...Most of them are bummed about the attachments and their dentist not informing them..So I take comfort in the fact that I went to an orthodontist and I researched like crazy before I started...Some on the other hand complain about lack of progress and treatment for some minor issues getting completely out of hand an they ended up in traditional braces ater years of invisalign...makes me kind of hesitant... :shock:

An other problem i'm encountering is BREATH...O my god, I'm really happy that I wake up alone these days.... :yuck: I try to let the aligners soak in efferdent for a half hour, than brush them with toothpaste. Brush my teeth, floss, mouthwash and still..I put them back in and I feel ...eewwww...Tips any one?? I have to take them out for that in the morning for at leat half an hour, while I don't eat a lot of breakfast...I'm bummed about that...:D
I'm still a bit scared also about the sudden throat infection I got wednesday...I hope that its not an allergy for the aligners...

On the good side: The aligner really doesn't bother me, I think I can do this for a few months..I also like the invisalign diet, I lost some weight for not snacking and, I quit smoking about a month ago and I am so distracted by the whole invisalign thing that I hardly think of it anymore....yay!

@ advocate: KISSING?? I completely accepted that there will be no heavy action in the kissing department until august...I can't see how I'm going to do that with a mouth full of plastic! :? :D

Long post today! Thanx for reading! :-1

Advocate

#9 Post by Advocate »

The bad breath is probably due to the throat infection rather than the aligners. Mine don't seem to get too nasty as long as I only drink water while wearing them. I had a few beers while wearing them one night last week, and they were kind of gross after that. But it was time to switch to my second aligner anyway. As to the other thing, remember that Invisalign is removable!

Olivia

#10 Post by Olivia »

A week has past....the whole thing is becoming a bit of a non event ...I'm still excited that I started the process, but I'm wondering now what all the procrastinating was about...I read elsewhere that this is normal..It really is true..nobody cares but me! (bit of a bummer actually :lol: )

The throat infection subsided, so in retrospect I think it really was a coincidence and not related to invisalign..

@ advocate : I tried some white wine, the aligeners were fine after that, and dare I say, I drink my tea (with milk) with them in...afterwards I rinse and wash the aligner and its fine. As for the thing..I pictured myself saying to someone " hold that thought!" then run to the nearest bathroom, pop them out, run back, watch the clock, then say: " are we done?" run back to the bathroom...anyway, you get the picture, made me laugh... :D

Have a nice evening! :-1

Olivia

#11 Post by Olivia »

So almost two weeks in...The aligner is getting very loose in my mouth...I wonder if I could move on to the next...I don't feel any pressure anymore, the pressure was gone after two days actually..I'll discuss it with my ortho when I see her, although that won't happen till march 7...I'm getting impatient!

Advocate

#12 Post by Advocate »

It seems like the teeth move mostly over the first week of an aligner, and then they stabilize in their new position over the second week. There an orthodontic rule about the maximum speed for safely moving teeth. I'm afraid your teeth might fall out if you try to move them too fast! :p

Olivia

#13 Post by Olivia »

Oef..I don't want that to happen...What am I going to do with all the really expensive aligners then?? :D

I've been reading the thread about respiratory problems while wearing invisalign..I've decided to stop wondering about this for now...I have got a nasty flu and that's it...

KUMonkeyMomma

#14 Post by KUMonkeyMomma »

Most of my aligners by the last week of wearing they feel like they are too loose, but yet if I try to get the next tray on, it won't fit, etc. so I know that they still need a bit of movement, even if just slight or like the prev poster said to settle into their right position before moving again. It makes sense that you wouldn't want them to be moving constantly and not allowing time for the bone/gum to comply with the movement and cause the tooth to be too loose.

As for the respiratory issues - I have had that as well. I found that something used in the process of making them (maybe some type of cleaner/disinfectant at the end of fabrication, etc possibly) really bothers my mouth/throat. I noticed it the first few new ones and I mentioned it to a co-worker and she asked if I could be sensitive to something in them. I am sensitive to things like pesticides that are used on crops and if I eat a fruit or veggie that doesn't have a thick skin (such as a orange or banana, melons, etc) that when I eat it my mouth gets tingly and feels like it's swelling even tho it's not (like a Novocaine feeling). So if I eat thin skinned fruits or veggies (or no skin - lettuce, etc) I have to buy organic. Even if I peel the skin off an apple, there must be some residue in the flesh of the apple because it still happens. I'm also allergic to some component in Lysol (a spray/cleaner disinfectant), and if someone sprays it around me and I inhale it my mouth/throat/nose all become irritated, etc. Basically what I have to do is rinse my aligner really well and give it a good brushing before I put it in the first time and I seem to do fine. If I get a new tray at the office, I have them at least give it a good rinse before trying it for fit and then as soon as I'm home I take it back out, brush my teeth/tongue and the aligners.

So I don't know quite what it is that I'm sensitive to - but since I have other sensitivities to chemicals it seems possible there is something in there that I am bothered by. I've heard others in a different threads and message boards say the same, as well as professionals in those threads say that it is possible for people to have sensitivities to something in them and get that reaction even tho the aligners contain nothing harmful. I'd try making sure you rinse and brush your aligners before putting them in the first time if you see it happening with each tray!
Donna
Started treatment 9/2/09
Treatment finished 4/27/11

Olivia

#15 Post by Olivia »

Thank you KUMonkeymomma for the response!

I am in my third week with the aligners now and I still have flu like symptoms of an on..I visited my GP today and he said it was a combination of an infection and a severe allergical reaction. In the last few days I also developed some asthma-like symptoms, so now I am home with anti-hystaminica (anti allergy medicin) and an inhaler...I never had these complaints and the GP was a little bit shocked and even asked if I ever had an asthma attack in the past...I rescheduled my next visit with the ortho to thursday instead of the following monday...I want to discuss this also with her. IF, and I say IF, the aligners are causing this, I will stop the treatment immediately, straight teeth are nice, but not worth developing serious respiratory dissease for...

On a good note: everything still good with the aligner wear! nr 2 fit like a glove and I'm excited to continue, I will ask her on thursday if I can start wearing nr. 3, I feel like my teeth are moving smoothly...She also send me the clin check, I will try to post that!

Thanx for reading! :-1